Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What jacket to buy to go with these trousers?

MikePotts

Practically Family
My wife very kindly bought me these new trousers which she saw at a new store in the Big City (I haven't seen the bill yet but I'll bet they were pricey!):

P1010021.jpg

My question for you is;

What type of jacket should I try to buy which would 'go' with them, say for an evening out at a classy Chop House or French Restaurant?
This second image is far from true to their colour but shows the minor highlights in the wool fabric, the first picture is MUCH truer in colour.

P1010023.jpg

MP

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
Hmm. Colorwise, something in navy worsted, brown tweed, or tan camelhair would probably complement the grey of the trousers (which look like a Donegal tweed?). For an evening out, a navy jacket would probably work best, with the darker of the shoes in the picture.

Last edited:

MikePotts

Practically Family
Thanks boushi-mania, I'm not sure from whence the fabric originates, the labelling indicates Billy Reid as the designer/manufacturer, Made in Italy, 96%wool 4%cashmere.
I tried them with a Navy coat and it didn't work, my first instinct was a good 'camel' jacket and although I'm no spring chicken, at 58, I always think of them for someone....well............old!

dnjan

One Too Many
Why not a waistcoat rather than a jacket? Something in a fairly solid brown tweed, with a similar "colour warmth" as the pants?

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
P1010021.jpg

My question for you is;

What type of jacket should I try to buy which would 'go' with them, say for an evening out at a classy Chop House or French Restaurant?

The blue jacket and grey trousers is a little formal for my tastes. If it was me, I'd team the trousers with a cream/white gabardine jacket and wear the lighter coloured shoes. Grey trousers and pale jacket is the perfect British summer look, where men simply cast off their heavy woolen suit jacket and wore something lighter. It a look I often adopt. That said, it does look best if you also have the waistcoat.

IMG_0577.jpg

MikePotts

Practically Family
Thanks All,
the trousers are definitely more brown than grey, so something light to mid tan may be my choice - perhaps with a contrasting waistcoat.

MP

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran