Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What pens are we carrying today?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Switched up to my Waterman Carene today in that amber finish. It is an elegant, but tempermental writing instrument; held just so, your handwriting is amazing; a bit off, and it is all stops and starts.

I love the particularness of these pens.

The formula 409 trick

Since there are some new to pens I'll post this again.

BALKY FOUNTAIN PENS? FORMULA 409 TRICK!

Have you ever had a NEW fountain pen that just won't write well? You’ve filled it with your favorite ink and it skips or won't write at all. Well friend, the culprit may be releasing agents, grease or oils left over from manufacturing that is interfering with the delivery of ink.

Stylofiles magazine gave this pointer, which they do on every fountain pen before testing it for their article. But use caution, you may damage a pen if the chemicals attack a part, so no long term soaking! Bare aluminum is most susceptible to chemical damage of the metals but even steel will corrode if left soaking in chemically laden water. Celluloid is fairly strong but damage is possible if left in soaking too long. Casein should neither be soaked nor have any chemicals applied to it, it’s very susceptible to damage. The caveat: Do NOT DAMAGE YOUR PENS! We are not responsible for any damages to pens!

VERSION ONE
Take regular Formula 409 and a small glass like a cordial or shot glass. Spray some 409 in the glass and mix with 3 to 4 parts of COLD water. Dip the nib and feed in the mixture then fill and flush the converter or filling system with the mixture for 1 or 2 minutes. Then replace the mixture with plain COLD water and flush for a minute replace water and flush repeat replacing and flushing again and again for a couple more minutes so no trace of the Formula 409 remains. Then fill with new, clean ink. The writing should be much improved if the oil or grease was the culprit. Be sure to empty the pen of all ink first then flush with plain water before using the cleaning mixture. Always use COLD water as warm or hot can damage the feed!

VERSION TWO
This is supposed to work on both new and older pens that are
presenting a skipping on no flow challenge. Stylus Magazine and some pen aficionados contend that both Formula 409 and Simple Green are too harsh to use on pens. Their alternate flusher and cleaner is a solution you can easily mix up. Mix 1 Tablespoon of Clear Household Ammonia (non-sudsing) to 2/3rds cup of Cold Water. Flush with this mixture and then flush thoroughly with PLAIN cold water to remove any residue as listed above for version one.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
John has a very good point about the 409. If you have a vintage pen with the original sac or filling system, the 409 may damage them. Stick with the ammonia. If, however, it has been restored with silicone sac or rings, the 409 should be okay.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Parker Makie

FountainPen.jpg

jtcarrey

A-List Customer
wow, that IS beautiful!

My pen looks like this (sorry haven't taken a pic of mine yet):

arnold01.jpg

It's from the great depression times as far as I know, and it's definately for a woman because of it's size, I love it! but I definately want a more pricey pen/pencil set... ahhh!

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
jtcarrey said:
wow, that IS beautiful!

My pen looks like this (sorry haven't taken a pic of mine yet):

arnold01.jpg

It's from the great depression times as far as I know, and it's definately for a woman because of it's size, I love it! but I definately want a more pricey pen/pencil set... ahhh!

I remember when you bought that at the SCPCC meeting at John in Covina's backyard. Yes, it is from the '30s, and is a size which was popular at the time with women.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Today will be a Cross ATX in Basalt Black I just received yesterday. Fine nib and loaded up with PR American Blue, woohoo! New toys, gotta love 'em!

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Today, and for the past few days, it's been my Levenger True Writer. It's got (if I remember correctly) a medium nib and is loaded with Baystate Blue. Great for signing documents!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Baystate Blue hugh? I live in the Baystate!
How do you like that Levenger pen?

A few years back, they stopped selling other brands and let everything go on clearance. I bought several pens from them then.

Today, I have my indestructible red Cross apogee with Mont Blanc blue and for the same reason, to sign documents!

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Hemingway Jones said:

A few years back, they stopped selling other brands and let everything go on clearance. I bought several pens from them then.

Today, I have my indestructible red Cross apogee with Mont Blanc blue and for the same reason, to sign documents!

I enjoyed your use of the word "indestructible', the ATX is built the same way. Metal to metal threaded section, makes my Pelikans and Lamy look like Michael Jackson compared to Evander Holyfield.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Hemingway Jones said:
I like it. It took a while to break in, but now that that's happened, it's a nice signature pen, which is primarily what I need. I like a nice, firm nib and a medium or broad nib, both of which it has. I think that the Baystate Blue has stained the pen, but I'm really not concerned about it, as I've never tried to keep my FPs in pristine condition, anyway.

Hemingway Jones said:
A few years back, they stopped selling other brands and let everything go on clearance. I bought several pens from them then. . . . .
I've always been disappointed that they quit selling other brands. I've bought a few True Writers from them (my wife loves her 2 True Writers), but I always had my eye on some other pens that they carried.

jtcarrey

A-List Customer
DeaconKC said:
What beautiful coloring that combo still shows. I haven't seen one that clear in a long time. Very nice.

In regards to my pen, that wasn't a picture of my actual pen, I'll take a picture and show you my actual one, the coloring is still just as beautiful though! It's a great pen, I'm just too afraid to use it all the time because I don't want to ruin it

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Sunday pen

Boy I can see this being my new "fancy" pen. Just got a blue striped Pelikan 400 today. Wow, loaded it up with PR American Blue and what a great combination. Wish I had a job where I could use this one everyday.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner