Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What temperature is your cut-off for wearing a leather jacket?

Novos

One of the Regulars
In my part of Canada, we didn't really get a spring. It went from cold (too cold for leather) to HOT, seemingly overnight. And now I bemoan the lack of a season for wearing leather jackets.

I went out the other night and it was 25 degrees celsius (77 fahrenheit), put on my favourite Beck jacket, and I was too warm. Also, no one else in this busy part of town had any jackets/sweaters, so I felt a little odd.

So, what is your temperature cutoff for a leather jacket? Do all Aero's get put away at a certain temperature to be replaced by something a tad...lighter?

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
25 degrees celsius (77 fahrenheit) would be at the upper limits for me, maybe even 1-2 degrees less, and that would be an A-2. [huh]

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Once we get into the high teens C, that's when I usually swap it for denim or lighter. That said, it's rare that our evenings are warm enough to wander around in shirt sleeves, so it's unusual that I'll put away all my jackets for the year.

Peter Bowden

Practically Family
Mid 60's for me depending on humidity but I tend to go out in cold weather just so I can keep warm, if that makes any sense.Since becoming a recent Aero fan,nothing seems to make sense anymore
Best wishes
Peter

apba1166

A-List Customer
62F give or take. Warmer than that I wear a denim or canvas jacket, if I'm going to wear one. Or just heavy shirt over a t-shirt.

I don't often wear anything leather, let alone an A2 in the mid-60s. Just the knits at the waist and cuffs alone make it too warm for me. Although I have light (2.0 z?) HH A2 I sometimes wear if it's in the lows 60s and lousy weather, rain or such.

tonypaj

Practically Family
Depends. At home, probably the same as everyone else, upper limits 20-25 C, but then I travel quite a bit. I like a leather jacket in an airplane, when they turn the AC on, I'm better off wearing one than not. At the destination, I can do with it up to 25-30 C, if it is light. Darker stuff is better if you're sweating...

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
20c (68F) is probably the hottest i could deal with whilst wearing leather... Probably a little less.

Right now it's 16c (60F) and i usually go out in a T Shirt and a leather jacket.

Edward

Bartender
I've worn a goat Indy in 20 Celsius, but that one aside I can't usually do leather over about 15 celsius. If it never went over 15C here again that'd still be too soon for me. I hate hot weather.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I wear my lightest leather - a Wested lambskin Raiders, cotton lining, no knits - up to about 70F. I try not to wear my A-2s and M-422A above 60F. Lacking knits, my cowhide Schott 654 falls midway between.

But it's really a question of how much sun, how much wind, how much humidity, and how much exertion vs. just temperature. In any case, the leather season's just about done around here now until late September.

Anything above 20c and I'm feeling uncomfortable, though it depends on the jacket... Aero's get hot real quick while I can wear Schott Perfecto at 25c no problem.

Novos

One of the Regulars
Thanks for weighing in everyone. I guess I was just sour that my spring time jacket weather didn't amount to much, but 25 C was far too uncomfortable. Think I'll stick with sub 20 C in the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21