• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Discussion in 'The Moving Picture' started by Amy Jeanne, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Doctor Strange

Doctor Strange My Mail is Forwarded Here

2. I regularly lose myself in the old architecture and other period details when watching these old movies to the point that I forget the story is going on. Also, I'll rewind and freeze on a building or a clock or radio or something. Thankfully, my girlfriend is equally into this stuff or I'm sure I'd drive her nuts doing that.

I hope you feel better soon.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  3. 2jakes

2jakes My Mail is Forwarded Here

Thanks...I'm feeling better!

As far as movies, I usually "lose" myself in favorite films that I have watched many times .

Big Sleep (1946)

Scene:
    Bogie finds naughty sister who has passed out on the sofa and takes her home.
    (Notice Bogie looks at the camera after he looks at the sister.)

Same scene according 2jakes:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    Zombie_61 and BobHufford like this.
  4. ⇧ well done.

That said, I'm never sure there is another scene in that movie other than the bookstore one.

Glad you are feeling better.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  5. Last night I ploughed through 'Anne of the Thousand Days' with Genevieve Bujold and Richard Burton amongst others. A quite good film from 1970 all about Anne Boleyn and Henry V111. A sordid story really.!

6. swanson_eyes

swanson_eyes Practically Family

Tonight or Never. Nothing Gloria did will compare to Sadie Thompson in my view, but I do like watching her. She did have a face, even in the talkies.

7. 2jakes

Thomas Crown Affair.
    So sixties...half-remembered names & faces.

Stearmen likes this.
  8. I just realized, my other reply makes it sound like I am blaming you for the title! Believe me I am not, and it does sound like a great documentary. Just wish Hollywood would stop recycling names.

9. Steve wasn't a pilot at the time, so he did not fly the glider, but it did inspire him to become a pilot. For a short time before his death, he lived the dream, he bought a hanger at the Santa Paula airport. He, along with Barbara, his collection of motorcycles, cars and biplanes, all living in harmony in a few hangers! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2jakes and Zombie_61 like this.
  10. I want to like this movie, but always find myself bored in it. Other the the McQueen cool factor, I'd probably have given up on it several viewings ago.

Stearmen likes this.
  11. 2jakes

The only time I watched this from
    start to finish was in the 60s at
    the base theater.

This was in Castle AFB prior to
    going overseas.

I only watched bits of it recently.

The song brought back memories
    of "half-remembered names & places." :cool:

Stearmen likes this.
  12. Worf

Worf My Mail is Forwarded Here

"Downfall" - Great film. Wonderful acting. Does NOT include the words "based on true events".

Worf

LizzieMaine and AmateisGal like this.
  13. Worf

Worf My Mail is Forwarded Here

"Hidden Figures" - Another "hidden history" film from Hollywood. I'd heard of these women about a year or two ago... Wonderful story. I love the fact that John Glenn (yeah that one) is quoted verbatim, hopefully that'll dissuade some of those who love to rewrite history. Seems he wouldn't fly unless his numbers were checked by "the smart girl". I'd have enjoyed it better if I'd not been in such a rotten mood going in which wasn't helped by my flat tire found when going out.

Worf

Zombie_61 likes this.
  14. I watched the first half of "Road to Singapore" (then had to leave to do something) in part because of a discussion we had somewhere recently in another thread about these Hope-Crosby movies.

While not really my type of movie - a little too much slapstick, for me - I appreciate that it had a bit of "cool" for its day. Crosby's character's "I don't want to marry, to work, to 'play the part society assigned me'," combined with his and Hope's "let's just have fun an see where life takes us" attitude was subversive for the time. And they pull it off with a lighthearted not angry spirit.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  15. BlueTrain

BlueTrain Practically Family

I scarcely have the patience to watch even an hour long movie and sometimes not even a short. In fact, the last one I watched in full was "In the dough," with Roscoe Arbuckle. The ones I generally enjoy the most, though, are obscure movies set in the jungle, in the frozen north or the South Pacific, possibly because I don't live in any of those places. Throw in an occasional Lash LaRue and I'm happy.

16. AmateisGal

AmateisGal I'll Lock Up

Zootopia. Such a great movie, and it's not just for kids. Highly enjoyable.

17. I was part of that discussion, and mentioned the fact that I never "got" the attraction to Bob Hope. But I recorded the three "Road" pictures that TCM aired last Saturday because I had seen the promotional feature they showed earlier featuring comedians like Robert Klein, Richard Jeni, and Buck Henry, discussing why the chemistry between Hope and Crosby worked. By way of example this feature also included clips from some of the "Road" pictures, and I found myself laughing at some of them. That had never happened before. So, when the wife and I have the time, I/we will watch them. Maybe I've reached some form of "turning point", and I'll find them enjoyable; it's happened before. :)

Touchofevil and basbol13 like this.
  18. BlueTrain

BlueTrain Practically Family

Sometimes, when watching a movie, you have to "forget" certain things in order to really enjoy the movie. That is, you have to go beyond other versions of the movie or what the actors were like in other movies or even what you thought the movie might be like before you can enjoy it for what it is, if you follow me. It's happened to me a few times. One was the animated Tintin movie. In reading the graphic novels, just as in reading books from which movies were made, you form mental images of the characters and how they sound and sometimes what they look like. In viewing the movie, you have to ignore all that.

Another instance was the movie "Elf" with Will Ferrell. I'm not generally a fan of his but I still enjoyed the movie on a company outing a year ago. But I wouldn't have even watched it otherwise.

19. I felt I could appreciate them more, in part, because of our conversation, but they will never sing to me.

Over time and on the right days, I'll probably watch more of them - when one just happens to be on. But it will be to appreciate parts of them - Bing's cool, a song here or there, some of the period details (like the map on the wall in the Bing's father's office in "Road to Singapore") are FL eye candy - but I doubt I'll ever be a full-throttled fan.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  20. Of the Road pictures, I think "Road to Morocco" is probably the best -- it's basically a sideways parody of every desert-adventure movie you've ever seen, with all the stereotypical characters exaggerated to the point of ridiculousness. Plus, Crosby saunters down a street in an ice-cream suit singing "Moonlight Becomes You" while wearing a *fez* and he practically radiates "I'm cool precisely because I do not give one eighth of a damn." Sinatra on his very coolest day was never that cool.

Another one I like is "Road To Utopia," which features Robert Benchley as a variation of his "How To..." character, narrating the film and commenting on its absurdity, with Hope and Crosby aware all the while that they're characters in an absurd movie. Meta upon meta.

Zombie_61 likes this.