Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

I wish I lived in an area where we had a theater like that now. I lived in the bay area for many years and I really enjoyed the Stanford theater for all the great old movies.
There is a theater in Los Angeles named, aptly enough, Silent Movie Theater, where I saw most of them. There was a time when they screened nothing but silent movies but, times and audiences being what they are, they've had to cut that down to one night per week and "special event" screenings.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
That's a good one. Nothing wrong with adding some variety into your programing, but there are a lot of Hitchcock movies to go through.

In addition to all the "big" ones - "North by Northwest," To Catch a Thief," etc. you can go back to his '40s ones like "Notorious" and "Suspicion" and even earlier with "The Lady Vanishes," and "Sabotage" or "The 39 Steps," plus many, many more. When one looks it up, it is amazing how many outstanding movies he made.

It sounds like you guys have a fun monthly get together.
Yep, we've already watched North by Northwest and To Catch a Thief, and a sort of Hitchcockian black comedy, The Gazebo. I was gently promoting The Trouble With Harry, but it was agreed to take a break with something completely different.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Test Pilot. Not the greatest movie, however, the YB-17 crash has to be one of the all time best model effects in any movie! Plus, a formation of YB-17s. I can't imagine today any major airplane manufacturer giving permission to use their planes in a movie, that had them crash, one fatally! A Boeing B-17, Douglas Dauntless, and a Seversky P-35, WOW. Incidentally, Seversky went on to become Republic, who built some of the all time great airplanes, the P-47 Thunderbolt, F-84 Thunderstreak, F-105 Thunderchief, and of course, the A-10 Thunderbolt II (Warthog)!

I wish I lived in an area where we had a theater like that now. I lived in the bay area for many years and I really enjoyed the Stanford theater for all the great old movies.

I also so those silent ones last night, too. I love TCM for their silent Sunday nights.

I have been to the Stanford a couple times, usually for something really special. One night, Douglas Fairbanks Jr was there, gave a talk about his time in the military during WWII. It was an incredible story, of which he wrote a very good book about. A movie was shown, starring you know who. Afterwards, they were selling copies of his book in the lobby. I, of course, bought one. We had an opportunity to meet him and get the book signed. Not only did I get that book autographed, but I had brought my original photoplay edition of the novel "Stella Dallas", of which he had starred in the movie. He remembered the movie as soon as he saw the book and got a big kick out of it. He turned around to his aides and showed them the book, and was grinning from ear to ear. He autographed that one for me also.

Another theater in San Francisco that used to show silent or classic movies most Friday nights (other nights were other themes) was the Avenue theater in the South part of SF. For several years, friends and I would go there two or three times a month to watch the silent movies. Then after the movie we would head on up into the city to Earthquake McGoons for some of the best live jazz music in the world.
What a great way to spend a Friday night! But that was a long time ago.

Hey, Blackthorn, Rumor has it that a historic theater somewhere near Oroville CA is being refurbished complete with a full pipe organ! Silent films are hoped for. A friend of mine is involved with the restoration of the organ. Do you know anything about this?

Just started watching and I see what you mean about Mickey Rooney's character. The epitome of stereotypes

It's more like a 1930s stereotype for its extreme insensitivity and exaggeration and it doesn't fit the tone or style of the rest of the movie. Other than him, I thoroughly enjoy the movie as the surface beauty and lightness of attitude is subtly but constantly undermined by the intensity and grit of the real life issues Holly and Paul are dealing with to keep their heads above water.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I have been to the Stanford a couple times, usually for something really special. One night, Douglas Fairbanks Jr was there, gave a talk about his time in the military during WWII. It was an incredible story, of which he wrote a very good book about. A movie was shown, starring you know who. Afterwards, they were selling copies of his book in the lobby. I, of course, bought one. We had an opportunity to meet him and get the book signed. Not only did I get that book autographed, but I had brought my original photoplay edition of the novel "Stella Dallas", of which he had starred in the movie. He remembered the movie as soon as he saw the book and got a big kick out of it. He turned around to his aides and showed them the book, and was grinning from ear to ear. He autographed that one for me also.
Wow, great story! Thanks for sharing this with us!

Another theater in San Francisco that used to show silent or classic movies most Friday nights (other nights were other themes) was the Avenue theater in the South part of SF. For several years, friends and I would go there two or three times a month to watch the silent movies. Then after the movie we would head on up into the city to Earthquake McGoons for some of the best live jazz music in the world.
What a great way to spend a Friday night! But that was a long time ago.
Great times, wish I could have been there!

Hey, Blackthorn, Rumor has it that a historic theater somewhere near Oroville CA is being refurbished complete with a full pipe organ! Silent films are hoped for. A friend of mine is involved with the restoration of the organ. Do you know anything about this?
No, I haven't heard that, but needless to say, I'd be on cloud nine. i rather doubt that any investors would spend the money here. The downtown area is an economic desert. We only have a population of 14,000. I think that if someone were going to invest like that, it would probably be in Chico. I'd gladly make the drive for a great theater like that!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Test Pilot. Not the greatest movie, however, the YB-17 crash has to be one of the all time best model effects in any movie! Plus, a formation of YB-17s. I can't imagine today any major airplane manufacturer giving permission to use their planes in a movie, that had them crash, one fatally! A Boeing B-17, Douglas Dauntless, and a Seversky P-35, WOW. Incidentally, Seversky went on to become Republic, who built some of the all time great airplanes, the P-47 Thunderbolt, F-84 Thunderstreak, F-105 Thunderchief, and of course, the A-10 Thunderbolt II (Warthog)!

Saw that about a month ago. Lots of nice vintage planes. Still not sure how he transitioned from "Daredevil of the Air" to "domesticated flight instructor" so easily but hey... that's Hollywood fer ya. I liked the film and found the extra footage very interesting. Do you think Seversky changed the company name to avoid any "Soviet overtones"?

Worf

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
TCM (1955)

2vt2pp0.jpg

I checked in & this "film noir" was almost at the end.
Was curious to know what was in "the box" !
I found the complete version on YouTube.
I'm downloading to watch later after work. :pop2:
I usually ignore comments made by the viewers on youtube
but the top one was ...lol

"Ahhh the 50s...when you wore a coat & tie to beat the crap out of some guy."

Last edited:
TCM (1955)

2vt2pp0.jpg

I checked in & this "film noir" was almost at the end.
Was curious to know what was in "the box" !
I found the complete version on YouTube.
I'm downloading to watch later after work. :pop2:
I usually ignore comments made by the viewers on youtube
but the top one was ...lol

"Ahhh the 50s...when you wore a coat & tie to beat the crap out of some guy."

Reminds me of a song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioiiMuKkMTU
:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24