Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Vera Godfrey

Practically Family
We've not been much for any in-depth stuff for the last few days as one of my beloved cats reached the end of her journey in the early hours of Tuesday morning, and died in my arms.
I'm so sorry to hear that :(

As my team (Canadiens) is out, and as ALL Canadian teams are out, hockey ended for me last week!
My team is in the playoffs. We'll see how far they get!

We saw Monday's episode of Gotham.

It gets better and better as the season progresses, and it's been amazing since day one!
Hopefully I'll get a chance to start season 2 this weekend. Unfortunately, I'm not able to watch on Monday nights.

skydog757

A-List Customer
Finally started House of Cards. Heard nothing but good things about it for years and I'm a Kevin Spacey fan from a while back (remember Wiseguy?) so it was inevitable that I would watch it at some point. I tend to hesitate when starting a series, as I know that if I like it, it will become a commitment. I have to say that I am impressed - great cast, writing and plot.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
You'll find BCS even better when you make time for Breaking Bad - actually, it would be interestingt to hear from someone who has watched them that way around, rather than seeing BCS as we are, as a prequel.

We've not been much for any in-depth stuff for the last few days as one of my beloved cats reached the end of her journey in the early hours of Tuesday morning, and died in my arms. Mostly we've been watching catch-up episodes of Masterchef - and it's incredibly refreshing to watch a show where people are encourage to developa genuine skill, where it's about cele brating the best rather than backstabbing or pre-scripted put-downs. Genuine, constructive feedback to all of them.
So sorry to hear about your cat Edward! My sincere condolences.

Edward

Bartender
Thank-you all for your kind words. Marlene was a very special girl. She never grew to be much bigger than when she was a kitten: towards the end of her life we discovered that her kidneys were abnormally small, which is probably why the kidney failure that took her in the end (she lasted eight months after diagnosis - about five years in kitty terms, which isn;t bad; sadly she died just a week shy of her eighth birthday). She was a tiny little girl who has left a huge hole behind. Still, we have her sister Greta with us, a big tubby lump of tabby loveliness who is very much in perfect health and is helping us get through it all. It's reassuring to know she passed easily, with the people who loved her, and we'll see her again one day.

The most recent episode of "Call the Midwife." I feel I have to watch it or Fedora Lounge will have no representatives in the audience of this very thoughtful period piece. Despite speaking to an empty FL lecture hall, I will say this season has started out strong in character development and period details.

I've yet to watch it myself, but Herself is a fan of its social commentary. Although the book transposed it to Poplar, just to the south of where we live, in reality the events on which the book(s?) is (are?) based took place in our manor - Whitechapel. Things have changed enormously since then, but the depirivation and poverty depicted in the TV version is, I gather, very accurate to the period.

My condolences, Edward. I too have lost several cats over the years, and I was glad for the times when I could be there as it happened -- that the last thing my cat saw was my familiar (maybe even loved) face. It's hard, but it gets better.

Thanks, yes - that's what I'm hanging on to. We were keeping vigil in shifts with her when Herself woke me because Marlene's breathing had changed; I held her as she slipped away. Her and her sister came to me as seven and a half week old kittens, so I'm probably the first human / carer she could remember. I hope she could sense I was with her at the en. It was very peaceful and easy, and I'm glad she was able to go like that, in her own home, and in her own time. The vet reassured us she wouldn't have been suffering, just a gradual drifting away. If I can face my own end, when the time comes, with half the dignity that little fluffball did, I'll be doing well.

Condolences on your loss. Losing a pet is never easy.

I assume you are referring to the English version of Masterchef? I think the American version is complete garbage and am always impressed with the higher level of skill English amateur chefs have compared to Americans. I find the Americans more preoccupied with being "celebrity" chefs and getting tattooed than advancing their skill.

Thanks. In all honesty, I'm finding it harder than a lot of the humans I've lost. But then I've probably spent more time with her and her sister in these last nearly eight years than with any sigle human person...

The UK version, yes. It's worth seeking out. The latest episdoes had them doing shifts in real working restaurants and cooking for one of the top UK chefs. It was just beautiful seeing those guys at the top of their game giving them encouragement, constructive criticism and feedback, and taking a real pleasure in their skills.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Cats.... Sigh... they tend to love me AND I love them (who doesn't like purring?) BUT my lungs hate them! Hard to love em when you're having an asthma attack. Still Ed I'm sorry your loved one is gone..... Are you gonna take in another after a time?

Worf

You'll find BCS even better when you make time for Breaking Bad - actually, it would be interestingt to hear from someone who has watched them that way around, rather than seeing BCS as we are, as a prequel.

We've not been much for any in-depth stuff for the last few days as one of my beloved cats reached the end of her journey in the early hours of Tuesday morning, and died in my arms. Mostly we've been watching catch-up episodes of Masterchef - and it's incredibly refreshing to watch a show where people are encourage to developa genuine skill, where it's about cele brating the best rather than backstabbing or pre-scripted put-downs. Genuine, constructive feedback to all of them.

Sorry to hear about your loss, we endlessly fret over our cats as they are beloved here as well.

At some point, we will most likely watch Breaking Bad, but when, I have no idea. There is too much out there to watch/catch up on, and apparently not enough time.
:D

Edward

Bartender
Still Ed I'm sorry your loved one is gone..... Are you gonna take in another after a time?

Worf

Thanks, yeah, we're going to let Greta, her sister, have a few months to get used to things, then around August we'll find her a couple of kittens as playmates. Marlene can never be replaced, but we have space to provide a loving home for another coupke of kitties that mightnot otherwise have one, so...

Thanks- we've always been the same. We're living in a golden age for television type content. Long may it continue!
That is what I say to people who complain about the state of television. If you ignore the the awful reality shows, there are so many well done programs to be found. I have never watched so much television as I have the past few years.

The only show I currently watch outside of some UFC or Seinfeld, episode three of season four of Boardwalk Empire.

If I have my seasons right (a questionable premise), then you've seen the episodes where Nucky fight "on the street" with guns and his life on the line to regain his bootlegging empire. Until that episode, the idea of Nucky coming up as a street thug with the grit and physical capability to survive and thrive in a a no-hold-barred mob gun battle was hard for me to picture.

But there he was, no fancy suits, no odd butler, no plush carpets, just him, others, a car, guns and a raw, feral desire to get back on top. He had a calmness-amidst-the-storm way of fighting that was impressive and exposed how he could become a leader. Kudos to Steve Buscemi for being able to bring that aspect of Nucky's alive in a very real way.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Finally started House of Cards. Heard nothing but good things about it for years and I'm a Kevin Spacey fan from a while back (remember Wiseguy?) so it was inevitable that I would watch it at some point. I tend to hesitate when starting a series, as I know that if I like it, it will become a commitment. I have to say that I am impressed - great cast, writing and plot.
I thought House of Cards started off very strong, and then by maybe the middle of the second season, it was retreading itself. A lot of forward movement, and then the development dropped off significantly. I haven't seen season 4 yet, but my enthusiasm for it has dropped a lot. A great cast and actors for sure. I believe one of the major hurdles for this show is how they've written the characters. They're strong and definitive, but in being so, they don't have the peripheral space to be nuanced. In that way, they're also dehumanized as well. There's conflict, but they always, quickly fall back to their nature, which might be accurate to the human experience, but it isn't very interesting story or TV. I like to see characters grow, but through three seasons, none of them really have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21