Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Last episode of "The Night Off." Overall - despite enough plot holes to make Swiss cheese - a really well-done, intense show. The acting and character development overcame the plot holes. And absolutely loved the cat trotting by as the final shot - yup, John's a softy at heart.

One more comment: Naz's parents might be the most forgiving people in the universe. Had I done all the stupid and illegal things Naz had done to land in jail and, effectively, destroy his family's modest finances, my father for sure and (probably) my mother would have let me rot in jail. Which, as we know from former posts, means I would have been dead five minutes before I actually made it into the prison itself.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
"The Cage" - Svengoolie played the uncut, original pilot. I'd seen it years ago when Rodenberry had visited the Syracuse University Campus back in about '75 but hadn't seen it since. Great fun. Jeffery Hunter wasn't all that bad.

Worf
Hunter gave us a much more serious captain than Shatner's Kirk -- you can imagine him displaying grim amusement in a scene, but not lightheartedness. I don't think I've ever seen Hunter doing something that could be called comedy, from John Ford's The Searchers and the King of Kings movie through to "The Cage." However, his relationship with the ship's doctor, as played by John Hoyt (was that man ever young?), was very much like that of Kirk/McCoy. On the other hand, Laurel Goodwin's Yeoman Colt was much cuter than Grace Lee Whitney's Yeoman Rand -- a forerunner of WKRP's Bailey Quarters, but in space.

I imagine that in an alternate universe somewhere, Star Trek, starring Hunter, Barrett, Hoyt, Goodwin, et al. ran for only 1.5 seasons, and is no more than a footnote in TV history.

Last edited:

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Last night, the ST:TNG episode "Peak Performance," in which Picard's Enterprise participates in war games. I had never realized that the actor who plays the sniffing master strategist, Sirna Kolrami, was David Lander: "Squiggy" on Happy Days and Laverne and Shirley! On ST:TNG he is as totally subsumed within the role as my other favorite acting chameleon, John Leguizamo, has been in things like To Wong Foo and Moulin Rouge.

Good story too.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Better Things. episode 2. This obviously wasn't meant to speak to me. Like Girls probably doesn't speak to most of certain demographics. Demographic specific? Kind of drags with no energy. Again, maybe that is just me. Or she isn't interesting enough or funny enough or whatever enough to have a series based on her life...if it is indeed based on her life.

You're the Worst. This series feels like it is hanging by a thread. It's a unique piece of writing, and the premise can be interesting. The characters are wacky enough to hold my attention at times, but it also feels like the direction of the show isn't going anywhere. At this point, it almost solely exists for Jimmy's monologue outbursts.

Suits. The same interactions and the same acting over and over and over again. Different situation (not new) with the same reactions and dialog. Gabriel Macht uses the exact same delivery in almost every scene. You could make a drinking game out of it. If he's at a loss with the character, where are the directors? Along with You're the Worst, it doesn't deserve another season.

Black Market. pangolin poaching. I don't think it is possible to make any type of show on bush meat that isn't sickening.

Rectify. I'm looking forward to the final season coming here in October.

Last night, the ST:TNG episode "Peak Performance," in which Picard's Enterprise participates in war games. I had never realized that the actor who plays the sniffing master strategist, Sirna Kolrami, was David Lander: "Squiggy" on Happy Days and Laverne and Shirley! On ST:TNG he is as totally subsumed within the role as my other favorite acting chameleon, John Leguizamo, has been in things like To Wong Foo and Moulin Rouge.

Good story too.
I hate to burst your bubble, but Sirna Kolrami was played by Roy Brocksmith. David Lander played a tactician in that episode, not Kolrami.

Last episode of "The Night Off." Overall - despite enough plot holes to make Swiss cheese - a really well-done, intense show. The acting and character development overcame the plot holes. And absolutely loved the cat trotting by as the final shot - yup, John's a softy at heart.

One more comment: Naz's parents might be the most forgiving people in the universe. Had I done all the stupid and illegal things Naz had done to land in jail and, effectively, destroy his family's modest finances, my father for sure and (probably) my mother would have let me rot in jail. Which, as we know from former posts, means I would have been dead five minutes before I actually made it into the prison itself.
We too loved the scene with the cat. It got a big laugh out of us.
:D

Shaun the Sheep

df92e048b8fa6897b7764d31c9fca4fe.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
How It's Made Dream Cars: Superformance GT40. Still one of the most beautiful cars of all times. A great British, American amalgamation.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Watched the first episode of ' Hooten & The Lady' (2016- ).....even though we've seen this formula used countless times before & we all know how it's going to end, it is watchable thanks in large part to the two main protaganists, whom, even though are one dimensional clichés, they are likable. :D It doesn't take itself seriously for a second which makes a pleasant change & although there isn't a great deal of talent either in front of or behind the camera, it's fun to watch if you're not too demanding.
I think I'd watch the other episodes if I can get hold of them but only if I had nothing better to do.

"Indian Summers" season 2 premiere. Great story telling was not season 1's forte nor does it appear that it will be season 2's either.

If you don't have at least a surface knowledge of India's colonial history, then I would think following this would be challenging - even with one, it feels disjointed. And the story isn't layered or special in anyway to make it worth the work with too many characters flying in and out only adding to the confusion.

That's the bad stuff. The good stuff is the incredibly beautiful period sets, scenery, details, clothes, cars and architecture. If you could remove the horrible politics, you'd love to live (with money) in this place and time. And while the story somewhat incoherently sluices along, there are a few interesting characters that keep you engaged.

Overall, I watch this show in a somewhat meditative state. The visuals are relaxing, the story not worth the effort, but easy enough to follow at the edges and a few of the characters evoke enough passion to occasionally pull me out of my sleepy, relaxed mood to care.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy