Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The whole point of modern "format radio" is to play music that offends as few people as possible, thus making it an acceptable background for offices and stores, and an agreeable counterpoint to the commercials. The artistic merit of the music receives no consideration at all.

Absolutely agreed. I have no interest in ditching my accent to make myself understandable to a friggin' robot.

As far as not being able to find good music anymore, I agree that's the bunk. There were thousands of records made during the 1930s that I haven't heard yet, and I'm always finding new ones.

Luckily, I don't have an accent. [southerndrawl] Y'all do [/southerndrawl]

The whole point of modern "format radio" is to play music that offends as few people as possible, thus making it an acceptable background for offices and stores, and an agreeable counterpoint to the commercials. The artistic merit of the music receives no consideration at all.

And then during the holiday season all they play on the radio is Jingle Bell Rock and Feliz Navidad.

BettyMaraschino

Familiar Face
It does seem that retail starts gearing up for Christmas much earlier now than they used to....

Christmas decorations around this way started to go up in shopping centres and even peoples houses at the beginning of september!
That is irritating at best. No decorations until the 7th Decmeber at the earliest in this house! And no competing with any neighbours on who can get the most lights in their windows/on their house :D

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Christmas decorations around this way started to go up in shopping centres and even peoples houses at the beginning of september!
That is irritating at best. No decorations until the 7th Decmeber at the earliest in this house! And no competing with any neighbours on who can get the most lights in their windows/on their house :D

Since my sisters birthday is December 6th, growing up we always waited at least until the 7th to put up decorations.

Horace Debussy Jones

A-List Customer
And earlier every year. I work for a large retail concern which will go unnamed. They started shipping Christmas junk by the truckload in April! Almost an entire truckload every week as well as the junk for intervening lesser holidays.
I used to like the season, can't stand all the hypocrisy now. :mad:
It does seem that retail starts gearing up for Christmas much earlier now than they used to....

I was out for some errands this morning, and surfing for something to listen to on the radio, and one of the local channels has begun their Christmas this weekend. I almost rammed the poor driver in front of me.

gear-guy

Practically Family
Working for UPS for 38 years I can honestly say that I have not enjoyed a Christmas in well 38 years. Remember that the true meaning of Christmas is how many presents that you can get. It used to be peak season for us was Nov. 25 through Dec. 25. Now it is Nov. 1st through Feb. 1st. It's only going to get worse!

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I was out for some errands this morning, and surfing for something to listen to on the radio, and one of the local channels has begun their Christmas this weekend. I almost rammed the poor driver in front of me.
I've heard a few songs already.
Especially at Home Depot, and that was 3 weeks ago!

Holidays_zps0b898459.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic