Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your favourite season?

What's your favourite season?

• Spring

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Summer

• Autumn

• Winter

• Total voters

Ecuador Jim

A-List Customer
I have to vote for Autumn. Love the colors, the chill, the hearty soups, etc.

I have more wardrobe choices. I love the smell of the leaves after they have fallen, and a rain hastens their demise.

When I lived in Colorado, it seemed Fall would last a couple of days, then BAM; an early winter storm would hit. Since I love winter as well, that was okay.

There is something about the tranquil nature of a new snowfall (okay, I know you Great Lakes types don't often put snow and tranquil in the same sentence) that allows my thoughts to find some order. :)

GeniusInTheLamp

One of the Regulars
My first choice is autumn, with winter and spring running neck-and-neck for second, and summer bringing up the rear, way behind. Summer usually means more of my money going to Comical Edison (once the temp hits 85 F, the AC goes on). I also hate sweating and heat dizziness. Autumn means cool relief from the heat, football season (even if my Bears are having an off-year), and anticipation of the upcoming holidays.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Good to see so many votes for autumn.

Here in mid Norway everything is the most stunning yellows, oranges and reds. Truly so beautiful. I was walking past the beautiful 1,000 year old cathedral on Friday and with a breeze blowing the leaves were like golden rain. Timeless.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Fall

Fall: cold, crisp air; Football; crimson stained maples and topaz elms
that shiver in the wind, and Halloween: Jack o' Lanterns, witches and goblins!
Love fall. (Unfortunately, Chicago is still stuck in summer) :)

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Fall. Although I haven't really had one in 12 years - since we moved to SoCal - I, we, plan on remedying that within the year by moving the hell out of L.A. and gettin' our collective butts back to the North East where we belong - and can enjoy Fall. And Winter. And Spring. And a bearable Summer. And then Fall again...

Dominic

One of the Regulars
I like summer only for the fact that the sun sets late in the evening. As for the rest summer brings...meh.

Spring is nice but it's muddy and the melting snow reveals all the dog poo that wasn't picked up during winter (obviously, makers of Spring Fresh scented products never spent spring outside).

Winter can be nice at the beginning but in the long run it gets on everyone's nerves. And that snow shoveling? :mad:

Fall to me is the greatest; it's going outside and feeling the fresh cool air with that unique smell, it's the glorious palette of colors that nature takes and it's going to the park, seeing my squirrely friends getting ready for winter.

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
I prefer winter, really--maybe in other parts of the world, I'd like Autumn best, but the temp is never cool enough for me here! I like shorter days, being able to cook big warm meals, bake cookies and pumpkin bread.

But it's coming! We'll have one bout of nasty Santa Ana's, right around my birthday, and then just maybe we'll have crisp cold days, and rain! :D

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
Diamondback said:
Of course, down there you also got that coastal humidity, which only makes things worse.

Like I said, Seattle or Portland would probably work well for ya...;):D

Well, being an hour inland, no humidity--I'm in landscaped desert! Who knows, maybe I will end up in the NorthWest...if I don't move to Scotland or France first! ;)

sweetfrancaise said:
Well, being an hour inland, no humidity--I'm in landscaped desert! Who knows, maybe I will end up in the NorthWest...if I don't move to Scotland or France first! ;)
Too bad that if all goes according to plan I won't be here... I'm a warm-weather serpent, so unless I can find some source of outside warmth;), I'm going to have to seek out a hot climate for "home base". Cold-blooded + cold weather = BIG problems, remember?

Viola

Call Me a Cab
My boyfriend is trying to lure me to Sydney, Australia, and I have to say as it gets towards winter here, I really don't mind the idea of summer there. And he's never really seen snow, much less had to shovel it.

dostacos

Practically Family
I was born and grew up in LA. so my first real winter was 1975 when I attended Northwestern University. First time I ever saw it snow UP! that was like the coldest winter in something like 80 years. Just to make sure I knew how to be miserable, I also took a class at NYU in January of 1976 which was one of the worst times THERE TOO. they actually closed Manhattan and banks were closed for 4 days in a row [a big banking NO NO, unless outside influences cause it]

I think I prefer the beard freezing of Chicago over the slush of New York. Having said that, I still prefer Winter, skiing, etc [remember in So Cal we can play and GET OUT of the weather lol ]

I would like seasons but in So Cal seasons mostly are marks on the calendar:( [so my only choice would be Winter ;) and I think August has at least 3 more weeks than any other month[huh]

My wife has MS so heat is bad for us so we have the air conditioner on at least 1/2 the year, but she won't move out of our house. The house she grew up in the family built when she was a baby and her brother still has it, I moved around a lot and move her 7 times in the first 4 years of marriage so I don't think another move is in my future any time soon:D

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Viola, I used to live in Sydney. Like most Kiwis I have done a stint across the pond (Kiwis and Aussies can live in each others countries without filling in forms or anything, just hop on the plane and that's it).

It's a great city, if you like the heat you'll love it. But it can be very, very humid especially round the beginning of the year. Personally if I went back to Oz I'd move to Melbourne, climate's a bit all over the show (it can be 30 one day, 9 the next) but it's quite european with a lot of history and culture.

But for now I'm in Norway!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Diamondback said:
Oh, one other thing about Down Under, Viola: Forget about having any of "the toys";) down there--they're highly illegal, and other "options" are very limited. (PM if clarification is required)

If you mean guns Diamondback then in some ways yes. Sporting and hunting guns are no problem so long as you have a licence. If you want a 44 Magnum or a submachine pistol then you might be in trouble. Mind you the newspapers of Australia and New Zealand never seem to contain many letters to the editor complaining about the fact "that I can't buy an MP5 at Countdown".

By the way, have you lived in either Australia or New Zealand or spent any significant time in either? Interested to know...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic