Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When Was The Last Time You...

Rafter

Suspended
1. Watched Over-The-Air television? Have cable on one TV set, rabbit ears on the other two.
3. Listened to AM radio? Listen to SportsRadio every morning while I'm getting ready for work.
5. Opened a can -- any kind of can -- with a church key? Open tomato sauce that way!
6. Wrote a letter with pen and ink? Just last week.
8. Figured your bank balance without a calculator? Every month when my statements come in.
9. Wound a clock? Have a WestClox Baby Ben. Wind it every morning and night.
10. Took pictures using film you had to develop? Easter Sunday with a Kodak disposable.

11504_200.jpg
4918.jpg
ot395013s.jpg
200px-Kodak-Max-Outdoor-Camera-Prom.jpg

Sweet Polly Purebred

A-List Customer
Senator Jack said:
The three odors I can still smell from elementary school:

1) Duplicating fluid (They warned us about the dangers of sniffing glue and then handed out history tests that got you stoned.[huh] )

2) Whatever that cleaning agent was that dried vomit.

3) 10,000 bars of World's Finest Chocolate that wafted through the halls on the first day of the sale. (At .50 a bar, that was pretty bold claim)

Along with the hearing and sight tests, did you used to have the telephone guy come in to instruct you on manners? He'd bring a live two-phone system and we had to go through mock conversations.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Ahhhh, the aromas of elementary school. What IS that cleaner?? I've only ever smelled it in primary schools, but it's immediately recognizable ..

Remember when the BIG box of Scholastic Book Club books would arrive and everyone would swarm the teacher's desk to pick up their copies of Paul Zindel and Judy Blume and Garbage Pail Kids sticker books?

We didn't sell The World's Greatest Chocolate Bars, we had hard Chocolate candy suckers, though I don't think we ever sold any, just paid for what we ate, heh.

We never had a guy come in to demonstrate phone etiquette. In hindsight it might have been a good idea lol

Yeah, if I could un-invent one thing it'd be "Direct Connect."

Ever notice that Nextel users are generally the least courteous of all? It's like instead of only sharing one side of the call with everyone else in the room like most cell-users (I actually lower my voice both out of courtesy and privacy-protection), they gotta share BOTH sides with EVERYBODY? It's not just rude and annoying, it's bad information-security practices too... and then there's that walkie-talkie "chirp" every time you turn around...:rage:

OK, rant over.

Rosie

One Too Many
When Was The Last Time You....

1. Watched Over-The-Air television?

I've had cable for quite some time, maybe 14 years.

2. Used a Rotary Phone?

Tonight, I only have one non - rotary phone in the house.

3. Listened to AM radio?

I don't listen to any radio actually, at least not in quite some time.

4. Drank soda from a glass bottle?

I don't drink soda that much. I don't think I've EVER had soda out of glass bottle, (born '77)

5. Opened a can -- any kind of can -- with a church key?

Do you mean those key on the sardine cans? Not sure what this is exactly.

6. Wrote a letter with pen and ink?

Just a few months ago. I've been a terrible pen pal and not kept up with my letter writing :eek:

7. Received or sent a telegram?

Never

8. Figured your bank balance without a calculator?

Today, I use my debit card a lot and so I mentally keep track of purchases, balance.

9. Wound a clock?

A few years ago. I had a wind up alarm clock but I'm not sure what happened to it. I'm looking for a new one now.

10. Took pictures using film you had to develop?

Over the summer. My mom forbade us (my brother and I, big GROWN people) to bring our digital cameras to our family reunion, (even though we both did). She bought a whole mess of disposable cameras instead.

rockyj

One of the Regulars
My memory is bad but here it goes.

1) Can't remember
2) Really, really can't remember! (still have one though)
3)This morning. Listen to the weather report.
4) Haven't had a soda in a while.
5)Used one on monday to open a can of coconut milk. (don't ask :) )
6) Also this morning.
7) When did the Pony Express stop again?
8) April 30th.
9)again this morning.(I have an old Grandfather's and a mantal)
10) best guess. 12 years ago:D

Shimmy Sally

About a year ago, have Direct TV again now. I rarely watch it.

2. Used a Rotary Phone?
About a week ago.

3. Listened to AM radio?
Today at work.

I gave up soda for NY's, so not since Dec 06.

A few months. I'm not a cook-from-cans type.

Yesterday

Other than retro-gram, never.

A couple days ago. I love calculators. The only math I like is geometry.

9. Wound a clock?
I have a wind clock, but it stays well.

A few days ago.

Stewart Field

New in Town
Ok Lizzie, here's my answers:
I don't own a television but the last time I watched over-the-air programming was some time in the early '90s. I own a Western Electric 302 and try to use it daily. This is one of my acquisitions that I am most proud of. I am guilty of not listening to any AM or shortwave radio, I am too dependent on the internet for providing me with the kind of music I enjoy. Occassionally I will buy a Coke, 7-UP or Fanta in a glass bottle just for the nostalgia. Church key? Forever ago. I almost exclusively use pencil or a fountain pen but haven't used either to communicate with a loved one for many years, though will write a personalized "thank you" note as the occassion requires. I have never sent a telegram. I want to so badly. My bank account is presently trying to crawl under a duck. I wish I had a balance high enough to justify the use of a calculator. A vintage Old Reliable sits faithfully by my bedside and I wind it every couple of days. I just purchased a Argus C3 so once I get it checked out I'll throw some film in it and see how the shots come out.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Interesting thread to pull up. Here's my answers:

1. Watched Over-The-Air television? Today.

2. Used a Rotary Phone? Today.

3. Listened to AM radio? Probably about a month ago, the NYS Thurway information station.

4. Drank soda from a glass bottle? About a month ago. Last time I really drank soda.

5. Opened a can -- any kind of can -- with a church key? Probably about a year ago. I don't eat much out of a commercial can.

6. Wrote a letter with pen and ink? Last week.

7. Received or sent a telegram? Never.

8. Figured your bank balance without a calculator? Last month.

9. Wound a clock? If a watch counts, this morning.

10. Took pictures using film you had to develop? About a month ago.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
1. Watched Over-The-Air television? Today. Getting rid of cable, though. It's really just a pile of garbage. Nothing even "so bad it's good." I just watch old movies on DVD or archive.org.

2. Used a Rotary Phone? Probably in the early 1990s. My grandmother had one forever.

3. Listened to AM radio? Maybe in the 2000s. I don't listen to FM, either. My iPod stores all my music and I don't need anything else.

4. Drank soda from a glass bottle? I don't drink soda, but I'm drinking a beer from a glass bottle right now.

5. Opened a can -- any kind of can -- with a church key? Ha! We had one when I was a kid so probably the 80s.

6. Wrote a letter with pen and ink? 2 weeks ago. My husband is currently in the middle east.

7. Received or sent a telegram? Never. But I have telegrams from 1937 that my grandparents sent to each other. I want to frame them.

8. Figured your bank balance without a calculator? Today.

9. Wound a clock? In the 2000s

10. Took pictures using film you had to develop? 2004. I'm glad I don't have to have a third party developing my photos anymore (not that I take photos of anything questionable..lol.) And I'm glad there isn't a film limit, either.

Seraph1227

One of the Regulars
here goes
1. 1993
3.last week for a ballgame
4.two months ago, Mexican CocaCola
5.too long ago to remember
6.wrote my last letter in 1995, but I journal everyday
7.Got a telegram from the Marine Corps in 1985
8.last week
9. wound my watch today

VintageBee

One of the Regulars

Last night I watched Me-TV...M*A*S*H

2. Used a Rotary Phone?
10 years ago

3. Listened to AM radio?
Everyday at 11:30 I listen to Charles Stanley.

A few weeks ago-had a Jones orange soda

I was waaaay to little I can tell you that!

I write notes to church members each Monday and put them in the post box that morning.

Probably 1970 when my grandpa was in Vietnam.

Lol, every other Monday.

9. Wound a clock?
Every morning...I found a baby Ben at the thrift store and I like the tick tock sound!

1985 or there abouts

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I was talking to a friend at work today about how so many of the things we took for granted as kids have just disappeared -- some of them so gradually we might not even notice they're gone until we stop and think of it. Many of these things, for those of us Of A Certain Age, were things which had lingered unchanged since the Golden Era or even longer -- but now they're pretty much all gone except as curiosities, or, for some of us, are willfully clung to out of principled Luddism. I thought it might be interesting to ask about some of these here -- so...

2. Used a Rotary Phone?

3. Listened to AM radio?

9. Wound a clock?

I'll post my own answers later, but I'm curious about how my fellow Loungers will answer!

1: June of 2009. We never have had cable, but after the change-over to digital transmission we cannot receive a reliable signal.

2: Seven minutes ago. We have no touch- tone sets, though I do have a
Handheld tone generator so that we may use automated attendants when we chose.

3: we listen every day. I even have a translator set up so that we can receive our local NPR station on our AM radio sets.

4: yesterday. We don't drink much soda, but what we drink comes from the Vernors Store. they carry Towne Club, Vernors and Faygo. Our local grocer stocks their products, along with Better Made potato chips.

5: this evening. Opened a big can of V-8.

6: today. Sent a note off with a payment to our local building Department.

7: received a Mailgram to inform me of the award of a scholarship more than thirty years ago.

8: this past afternoon, when I wrote the check to the Building Department.

9: I will wind the alarm when I go to bed at 11:30 tonight, just as every night. Every morning I wind the wood-works clock in the upper hall, and every Sunday noon I wind all of the eight-day clocks.

10: about three weeks ago. Haven't developed and printed the film yet, though.

11: Used a typewriter? Last Monday, Filling out a series of permit applications.

12: used a handset modem? 1979, connecting a Univac 1004 to the big 1108 Mainframe at Chi.

13: Climbed more than three flights of stairs? Last month when I went to do an asbestos survey on a 1902 vintage skyscraper whiich is under renovation.

14: Made Soemthing from scratch? Cooking, this afternoon, made a Lemon Sponge. In the shop, last week, built a Doerle Twinplex Radio with my nephew.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
11: Used a typewriter? Last Monday, Filling out a series of permit applications.

12: used a handset modem? 1979, connecting a Univac 1004 to the big 1108 Mainframe at Chi.

13: Climbed more than three flights of stairs? Last month when I went to do an asbestos survey on a 1902 vintage skyscraper whiich is under renovation.

14: Made Soemthing from scratch? Cooking, this afternoon, made a Lemon Sponge. In the shop, last week, built a Doerle Twinplex Radio with my nephew.

11: Today, when I typed out instructions to the mechanic who'll be adjusting my brakes.

12: Never. Probably just as well, they probably don't work well with an E1 handset.

13: Ten minutes ago, when I did my nightly walk-thru at the theatre before closing up for the night.

14: Tomorrow, when I make pastafazool. Just finished putting the beans in to soak.

Probably about 1980. I didn't watch TV from 1981-1997

2. Used a Rotary Phone?

Yesterday. Have on in the house.

3. Listened to AM radio?

Tonight. Listened to the ballgame.

Had a Dr. Pepper earlier this week.

Last fall at a football game.

That I mailed? Probably 10 years ago. That I delivered in person? Last week.

Never.

Last week.

9. Wound a clock?

Last night. I use a wind up alarm clock.

My honeymoon...2002.

11: Used a typewriter?

A couple of months ago, filling out some sort of form.

12: used a handset modem?

I'm not sure what that is. I first used a computer in 1989, however.

13: Climbed more than three flights of stairs?

Today. I take the stairs every day at work.

14: Made Soemthing from scratch?

Made dinner tonight.

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
1. Around 2006 at my Grandma-Mom's house (my grandma raised me until i was 11 so I call her mom)
2. About four years ago. I used to have a candlestick phone with a rotary dial in my room at my Mom's house.
3.About 2-3 years ago. My 1977 Cadillac had an AM/FM radio and the best oldies station was on AM. I am eagerly looking forward to getting the AM tube radio in my 1955 Fairlane working. When I had my 1972 GMC about 7 years ago, I used to sit for hours in the driveway listening to the original AM radio.
4. About two weeks ago. Mexican Cokes are stocked at many gas stations here and for a price the plastic bottles can't beat.
5. Two Weeks ago. My Aunt had some canned Pineapple juice and church keys are the norm in my family.
6. Early last year.
7. Never, but its on my bucket list.
8. Never. I don't use banks if I can help it.
9. Years ago I was in an antique shop and I wound a pocket watch to test it. If it means anything, I wound more than a few record players last year. I love everything about the operation of old record players.
10. It was the early 2000's, and I used a disposable in Disneyland. If I had the space, I would love to set up a black room and get an antique camera as a hobby.
11. It's been years, and I would like to know where that old typewriter went.
12. I've never done this.
13. I don't believe I have ever climbed more than three flights of stairs. Most buildings just aren't that tall here, and the ones that are have elevators.
14. Two weeks ago I made Huevos Rancheros.

St. Louis

Practically Family
Great thread. Really enjoy the responses.

1999, when I moved to the Midwest, and discovered that there's no reception in the Great Central Mississippi Valley.

2. Used a Rotary Phone?

Today -- I have two Monophones from the 1930s (with additional ringer sub-units) and a 302 "Lucy" phone.

3. Listened to AM radio?

When the Cardinals are playing and I'm in the car.

I don't drink soda, but I use an old choc-ola bottle as a laundry sprinkler. Does that count?

All the time until recently when a friend gave me his electric can opener. I feel like I'm cheating whenever I use it!

There's one on my dining room table right now waiting for a stamp.

I can't recall (probably never) but I sent a fake one as a party invitation recently. I downloaded and printed an old telegram form and delivered it by hand. Most of my friends couldn't figure out what it was supposed to be. Technically, I know it's wrong to send telegrams to invite people to a party, but I was trying to be clever (it didn't work.)

Mid-1990s. In those days my bank balance was usually in the two-figure range and a careful scrutiny was all that stood between me and total humiliation.

9. Wound a clock?

My watch, until a friend of mine drove over it with his car recently. Now I have a solar-powered wristwatch that actually looks like something out of the 1930s.

Late 1990s. So many things changed when I moved to the Midwest ... sigh.

12. Connected phone handset to modem?

I attempted to do this back in the 90s, but didn't succeed.

13. Taken more than three flights of stairs?

Whenever I have an errand to the administration balding at work; four floors of very steep steps. Great workout.

14. Made something from scratch?

Every day, if you count cooking. Fairly often, if you mean knitting / sewing. Never, if you mean bright ideas.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Great thread. Really enjoy the responses.

1999, when I moved to the Midwest, and discovered that there's no reception in the Great Central Mississippi Valley.

2. Used a Rotary Phone?

Today -- I have two Monophones from the 1930s (with additional ringer sub-units) and a 302 "Lucy" phone.

3. Listened to AM radio?

When the Cardinals are playing and I'm in the car.

I don't drink soda, but I use an old choc-ola bottle as a laundry sprinkler. Does that count?

All the time until recently when a friend gave me his electric can opener. I feel like I'm cheating whenever I use it!

There's one on my dining room table right now waiting for a stamp.

I can't recall (probably never) but I sent a fake one as a party invitation recently. I downloaded and printed an old telegram form and delivered it by hand. Most of my friends couldn't figure out what it was supposed to be. Technically, I know it's wrong to send telegrams to invite people to a party, but I was trying to be clever (it didn't work.)

Mid-1990s. In those days my bank balance was usually in the two-figure range and a careful scrutiny was all that stood between me and total humiliation.

9. Wound a clock?

My watch, until a friend of mine drove over it with his car recently. Now I have a solar-powered wristwatch that actually looks like something out of the 1930s.

Late 1990s. So many things changed when I moved to the Midwest ... sigh.

12. Connected phone handset to modem?

I attempted to do this back in the 90s, but didn't succeed.

13. Taken more than three flights of stairs?

Whenever I have an errand to the administration balding at work; four floors of very steep steps. Great workout.

14. Made something from scratch?

Every day, if you count cooking. Fairly often, if you mean knitting / sewing. Never, if you mean bright ideas.

This had me chuckling. :) But tell me more about this solar powered watch please- it looks vintage?.

Nobert

Practically Family
1. Just before whenever it was they mandated the signal to digital. Given the quality of what I was watching in my more lugubriously unstructured moments, I wasn't going to pay for a box to keep watching that stuff.
2. Sometime last year, before I moved out of my last apartment. So probably around August.
3. I've no idea, and only by accident, whenever it was.
4. I only drink soda maybe once a month, if that, so we're probably going back to the 80s.
5. Is a church key the thing that used to come with sardine cans or a hand can opener?
6. At least a year ago, to the woman I was dating at the time. Would like to start doing that again (writing letters, I mean, although dating women would also be on the table).
7. Nope.
8. Why bother? I don't even read my statements. I know how much money I don't have.
9. Last night, my bedside alarm clock. Usually the day's final task.
10. I forget. Although I do remember that the last time I tried to get black and white film developed, the lab had a terrible time with it. I didn't go back to that place.
11. Some time. Most of my stuff is in storage, including my two portables (a Royal and a Smith-Corona).
12. That time I accidentally broke into NORAD defense to try and play what I thought were computer games but was actually a program to outline a plan of nuclear attack in the event of a war with the Soviet Union.
13. Well, before I moved from Portland, so some time.
14. a fairly good sized red patch on the inside of my knee, which gets exceptionally dry in winter, so a few months ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy