Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where has the music gone?

Wild Root

Gone Home
As some of you know that there is an exceedingly poor selection on the radio these days. I remember no more then eleven years ago, there were a few stations that would play old music. I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m not saying there is a lack of ?¢‚Ǩ?ìOldies?¢‚Ǩ? on the radio, there is a lack of good quality classic American music! I remember a station that was 900am KRJB. They played big band all day long! They had some good stuff and, most of it was on 78!
Now, they?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢re something other then a music station.

So, for those who have suffered enough of the same bland stuff on radio today here in Southern California, wait till I tell you this good news! Friends, if you wish to hear the music that is as American as apple pie, then wait no longer! Go to this link and sign up for a free trial to Radio Dismuke! They play very rare and hard to find recordings that will amaze you! A 24 hour online radio station that plays the best from 1925 to 1935.

http://dismuke.org/radio/

Try it, and you?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ll say: WOW! That?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s super!

Remember the name,?¢‚Ǩ¬¶ Radio Dismuke!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Glad I could help out boys! Bogie, I looked at the link and it looks like a good one. Sad that all the good stuff is on the net. I wish that it could be on an AM broadcast so I could put my vintage radio collection to use! Could you imagine hearing that stuff coming through a 1936 Sears Silvertone? Wouldn't that be so cool!

Any way, I'm happy you gents enjoyed the link:D

Root.

Just as an extra bonus, here is a cover to a Midwest radio catalog from 1938. Midwest mad some very fancy looking sets that had chassis with 12 to 20 tubes! Enjoy

STHill

One of the Regulars
Originally posted by Renderking Fisk
Is there an XM equalivant?

Ren, XM channel 4 plays "music from the 40's" exclusively. Although, I think they occasionally slip some 30's music in there.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yes, stations like that play a mix from the 30's to the 60's. I have heard some of those stations and they play a good deal of original recordings but, also with recordings of the same songs that were done in the 50's and even later. But, nevertheless, good music is still good music;)

I just prefer the old scratchy original cuts from the first artists that made it popular. :D

Collecting 78rpm records I don't mind the scratchy sound. It just adds the right amount of nostalgia to the music.;)

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ah ha! Cool! Another shellac maniac! Yes, I have a nice tidy little collection. I haven?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t counted it in some time but, I have a collection spanning the 20?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s to the early 50?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s. The only 50?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s ones I have are three very collectable and highly sought after early rock by Bill Hailey and the Comets. But the ones that I really love are all my late 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s Artie Shaw?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s and Glenn Miller?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s. I have a nice Goodman spread and a copy of ?¢‚Ǩ?ìLife Goes to a Party?¢‚Ǩ? on Victor that?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s practically mint. I have a lot of Harry James, Tommy Dorsey and Jimmy Dorsey too.

I have some Chick Web and Bunny Berigan as well. I have a little of every band and even one that?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s not really known. Have you ever heard of Emery Deutsch? His band recorded mostly on Blue Bird and I have two records of his. I think they are swell! He played the fiddle. Very rare to hear of a band leader that played the fiddle with a swing band. It worked though.

Do you have any V-disc?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s? I have a few and they are quite hard to get a hold of.

Any way my 20?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s and early 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s stuff is mostly of bands that I haven?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t heard of. I have some Al Jolson and Paul Whiteman from the 20?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s! I would have to say that I have over 300 78?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s Oh, and I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m now a big time Bing Crosby nut! Mostly of his early recordings form the late 20?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s to the late 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s.

Well, that?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s just the tip of my stuff. So, what do you have in your collection eh?

Cheers!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Pork Chops and Gravy

Oh, my, gosh! You have Pork Chops and Gravy by the Ink Spots??? On 78rpm? That is a record I have been looking for a long time! That is such a fun song! I have a copy of it on a tape some where. I do have a nice little collection of Ink spots and some Mills Bros on 78. One of my favorite Ink spot tunes is Whispering grass. I really dig "If I didn't Care" as well.

Have any Louie Jordan? I have a few of his stuff as well. Only one or two 78's. His stuff is somewhat hard to get for cheap. I really like Five Guys Named Moe. Funny song for sure!

Any way, tell us all what you have in your collections!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Those guys had some funny songs with very good rhythm! But, some of the stuff that makes me just die is Spike Jones and his City Slickers! The Man on the Flying Trapeze, need I say more? Or his rendition of The William Tell Overture? These I love and have also on 78.

Here?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s a swell pick of good old Spike. What a nut!

schwammy

Familiar Face
Originally posted by Wild Root
Do you have any V-disc?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s? I have a few and they are quite hard to get a hold of.

So, what do you have in your collection eh?

I have a nice collection of about 250 records. I had the good fortune to live in Minneapolis for 5 years, and that's where I built my collection, thanks mostly to a shop called "Vintage Music Company," which is the only storefront I know of that sells only 78 rpm records. Of course, now with ebay, such a store isn't as necessary as it used to be, but it's still a great place.

I have one V-Disc of the Andrews Sisters singing "Boogie-Woogie Bugle Boy." I like 20s and 30s big band and small band jazz. I seem to specialize in piano players, particularly Jelly-Roll Morton, Joe Sullivan, Jess Stacy, and Teddy Wilson.

I too have a good Benny Goodman collection going. I think his big band was the greatest. The only Artie Shaw I have is "Begin the Beguine," but I also love his recording of "Stardust." My favorite Tommy Dorsey recording is "Well, Git It!" I have a lot of Louis Armstrong, Bob Crosby, Cliff Edwards, and Fats Waller. I also like Hank Williams, so I have a lot of his stuff.

Some of my favorites, not necessarily valuable, are Camille Howard's "Miraculous Boogie," "High Society" by Jelly-Roll Morton's New Orleans Jazzmen, "Milenburg Joys" by McKinney's Cotton Pickers, Elmore James's "Hawaiian Boogie," and Jack Teagarden's "Swingin' on the Teagarden Gate."

My prize disc would have to be my 1923 copy of King Oliver's Creole Jazz Band playing "Dipper Mouth Blues" on Gennett. Very scratchy, but somewhat hard-to-find.

Have you been to the Red Hot Jazz Archive at www.redhotjazz.com ?

Wild Root

Gone Home
a shop called "Vintage Music Company," which is the only storefront I know of that se

WOW:eek: A store that sells ONLY 78's? In the words of Cab...
That's a killer!

I would love to check that place out for sure!

Sounds like you really dig early Jazz and Boogie Woogie! I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m a Boogie fan as well. I can?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t find too much good ones lately. I have a Teddy Wilson album that was released by Music Craft in the 40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s. It?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s very clean and has a good cover.

You have Fats Waller? I think I only have one or two of his records. Want more though!

You only have one Artie Shaw? I think I have two copies of Stardust on Victor. If I do, I could sell it to you if you want it. I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ll have to check and see. Most of my Shaw is on Bluebird and has Helen Forest on the vocals. She is one of my favorite divas! Ever hear All the Things You Are? Or, Moon Ray? Very good! There is one record that I must find of Arties and it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s called Man From Mars. It?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s a solid sender if I have ever heard one!

I also have some Erskine Hawkins and he?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s hard to find. I have some Chick Web as well with Ella Fitzgerald on Decca.

You have a V-disc of the Andrews Sisters? That?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s a good one! I have a copy of Boogie Woogie bugle Boy on a 10 inch Decca with Bounce Me Brother with the solid four on the flip side. Those songs came from the 1942 Film Buck Privets staring Abbot and Costello with the Andrews Sisters.

Have any Boswell Sisters? I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m looking for some of there stuff. It?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s hard though. Do you have any Boswell Sisters in your collection?

Well, I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ll end it here for now.

Cheers.

Canadave

One Too Many
Re: a shop called "Vintage Music Company," which is the only storefront I know of that se

Originally posted by Wild Root
WOW:eek: A store that sells ONLY 78's? In the words of Cab...
That's a killer!

Oooooh, Cab Calloway...now you're speaking MY language. No 78s, but I have a few 33s, CDs and tapes (sorry :().

I also have some videotapes of some early "music video"-type performances...very cool!

We, the cats shall hep ya,

David

schwammy

Familiar Face
No Boswell Sisters recordings, sorry. There's a really good Artie Shaw recording called "Meade Lux Special;" probably the best big band boogie-woogie recording I've ever heard. Unfortunately, it's a radio transcription, so it was never released on record. You can find it on CDs, though. I am familiar with the Teddy Wilson Musicraft sides. My favorite record by him is a Columbia red label with "Them There Eyes" on one side and "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" on the other side. Unfortunately it was made during WWII when they couldn't get good shellac, so it's hard to find a clean copy. I also would love to find a somewhat rare album called "The Teddy Wilson School For Pianists," which was sold via mail order for a short period of time before the company went out of business. It has the most amazing version of "Tiger Rag" I've ever heard performed on piano.

Here's a link to Vintage Music's website.

http://www.vintagemusicco.com

The site itself is nothing to brag about, but it does have a couple pictures of the shelves inside the store. You can call with inquiries about any record you're looking for, and unless it's ultra-rare, Scott, the owner, should have it in stock. I know he has racks and racks of Fats Waller and Artie Shaw; probably multiple copies of most titles.

Tell him Al sent you.

I have some on records and some that were downloaded from that dreaded Napster when it was something worth belonging to. What started my interest was a collection of their records my father had. I have:
Ain't Nobody's Business
Brown Gal
Christopher Columbus
Echoes
Goody Goody
Hawaiian Wedding Song
I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire
If I Didn't Care
Java Jive
Mama Don't Allow it!
My Prayer
Oh Red!
Old Easy
Old Joe's Hitting the Jug
Pork Chops and Gravy
Rock 'n' Roll Rag
Side by Side
Smoke Gets in Your Eyes
Stardust
Swing Hi Swing Lo
That Cat is High
That's When Your Heartaches Begin
Twilight Time
Whispering Grass Don't Tell the Trees
Yes Suh!
Most people today do not realize how popular the Inks Spots were in their day. When they performed with Glenn Miller, the audience forced Miller to reliquish time to the Ink Spots instead of his band!
September 10- October 10, 1939 Featuring Glenn Miller & His Orch. w/ Marlon Hutton, Ray Eberle. Extra Added Attraction The Ink Spots. Also, The Newtons, Tiny, Ann & Tony Small. Movie: Honeymoon in Bali. [New York Times, 19Sep/39]. Paramount adv?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t of 10Oct/39 states 137,000 fans 1st week and 134,000 more fans 2nd week [New York Times]. Miller had trouble closing show because fans demand for IS ?¢‚Ǩ‚Äú "?¢‚Ǩ¬¶were so talented that even Miller had to give way to them show after show." [The Pittsburgh Courier, 14Oct/39]. Grossed $59,500, $53,000 and $40,000 for 3 weeks. [Variety, 27Sep&4Oct/39]

The Ink Spots were also the first performers, of any color, on TV. They did a bit with music and comedy. No recording was ever made so ti was lost to history. Darn!
November 1936 2:30 P.M. - NBC/RCA Television Demonstration. Ink Spots perform on the first live TV demonstration at NBC and, on the basis of this, are the first black performers to appear on television in the U.S. Variety states: "Later the Inkspots, a colored comedy - singing unit - put on a three-minute skit with all the stage makeup trappings. Couple of full-length showings were used here and the boys were in motion besides. It worked out okay." (Since they are the first performers mentioned in the article, the Ink Spots may have been the first performers of any color to perform on TV in the U.S.) [Variety, 11Nov/36 & New York Times, 7 Nov/36]

Did I mention they also performed with Sinatra and a host of other famous singers? :D

Regards to all,

J

Wild Root

Gone Home
Dave, you are in the know my boy!!! Solid! I have no Cab Calloway on 78 but I do have some of his CD?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s. I have an early 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s recording of ?¢‚Ǩ?ìFather?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s Got His Glasses On?¢‚Ǩ? and it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s one of my favorites! The song is him just scatting! It?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s brilliant!

You have some of his early music videos? Well, that?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s just swell! I wish I had some of his stuff on video. Those early music videos are known as ?¢‚Ǩ?ìSoundies?¢‚Ǩ?. They were shown on a juke box like machine with a screen and they were called PAN-O-RAM machines. Check out this link for more info on PAN-O-RAM and, they also sell copies of Soundies on VHS as well.

http://www.soundies.net/

Are you Hep to the jive?

Root

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner