Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where's the globe trotting hat now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gumby

New in Town
Maybe I missed the post about the updates, but I was wondering where the travelling hat might be. Is there a special place to post udates?

Just wonderin'...

"Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
-Sir Winston Churchill

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I think this really needs to be done

Can we PLEASE have a thread that is strictly updates on the hat's current loaction (with hand-off pics) and where it is going? Has this great idea stalled right out of the gate?

Baggers

Practically Family
Agreed. At a minumum we need to make a sticky out of this or one of the other threads so that it doesn't scroll off the page. Where is it right now? The last I read, it had made it past the first hand off and dropped into a black hole. Mods?

Cheers!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member

I was just going to bump this again, thanks Baggers.

A sticky thread for sure. Remember there was a LOT of interest shown, and we're doing it for charity fundraising.

Baggers

Practically Family
scotrace said:
I was just going to bump this again, thanks Baggers.

A sticky thread for sure. Remember there was a LOT of interest shown, and we're doing it for charity fundraising.

Happy to be of service! :)

Was the charity aspect ever finalized as to how we'd collect any money and which charity would be the beneficiary? Personally, I don't mind doing this simply for the giggles, but either way I'd hate to see it die out after all the initial interest. Heck, we were still getting folks volunteering to participate up until a week or so ago!

Cheers!

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
The Vanishing Hat

As far as I know, I was like the third person on the list, and I still haven't gotten it. I think WeeGee decided to keep it! So much for gentlemanly conduct. [bad]

WEEGEE

Practically Family
I REALLY REALLY WANT TO GET IT MOVING

I still have it ...wore it twice..photobyalan and i still have not connected.

he came through the area...i was not in town.

Legopic-2.jpg

any suggestions???

regards,

WEEGEE

P.S.---O.R--Not-Bogart13--
As far as I know, I was like the third person on the list, and I still haven't gotten it. I think WeeGee decided to keep it! So much for gentlemanly conduct.

I am certainly a gentleman...as we all are at the lounge.

Not-Bogart13 thanks for getting this moving:cheers1:

WEEGEE

Practically Family
Now...

Let the hat move...:cheers1:

Should this be in the classified?

FREE TRAVELING HAT...with a fine journal?

meet me 1/2 way?

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Ah Ha!

WEEGEE said:
I still have it ...wore it twice..photobyalan and i still have not connected. he came through the area...i was not in town.

any suggestions???

regards,

WEEGEE

P.S.---O.R--Not-Bogart13--

I am certainly a gentleman...as we all are at the lounge.

Not-Bogart13 thanks for getting this moving:cheers1:

I was kind of hoping my slanderous words would churn up the truth. No intent to insult, WEEGEE. Just a little civil unrest.:)

So, a photo of a guy taking a photo while wearing The Hat. I guess it's just appropriate.

I know we were hoping for as many hand-off pictures as possible, but there will be times when we might have to mail this baby on. From what I can tell, I may have to because of distance.

Cheerios. :p

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
If it would be alright...

I truly don't want to tread on any toes or create civil unrest... but I've gathered many of the ideas for the traveling hat project into a single post that I've been sitting on. A sort of 'here are possible sort of modus operandi for the whole project.' It's just such a great, great idea and it'd be great to help ensure its success.
Should I post for input or shut my big overactive yap?

S

WEEGEE

Practically Family
Post good man ... post

scotrace I truly don't want to tread on any toes or create civil unrest... but I've gathered many of the ideas for the traveling hat project into a single post that I've been sitting on. A sort of 'here are possible sort of modus operandi for the whole project.' It's just such a great, great idea and it'd be great to help ensure its success.
Should I post for input or shut my big overactive yap?

S

Modus operandi we need.

I will be handing off the hat to photobyalan at a seedy upstate N.Y

diner ma?ɬ±ana.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Very well!

Attack at will :) :

Proposed Crazy Hat Idea Consolidated (ideas stolen from other threads) Game Plan:

1. Hat travels in person from one participating member to the next. If an in-person hand-off is not possible, it gets shipped at the participating member's expense (the sender's).
2. Each participant keeps the hat for not longer than 1 week.
3. Each participant either signs the liner (or some other part, or there's a sheet that goes with it for the signatures), snaps a picture of him/herself in the hat AND of the handoff to the next person. The picture of yourself in the hat in hardcopy (paper) form goes with the hat to the next person so they accumulate. Both pics get posted to a sticky thread for the purpose of tracking the hat and keeping the game afoot.
4. Participants can be added along the route. But the route is laid out and posted on a separate sticky thread. ("March 15 - 22, Bullfrog, ND with So-And-So. March 3 - March 30, Gopher Gulch, SD with So-And-So", etc)
5. Participating members who have connections to the arts, entertainment, film or music industries are encouraged to seek signatures from well-known personalities to add to final auction value.
5. If the hat becomes impossibly soiled or damaged, it gets returned to Aaron hats for a cleanup. We can chip in for this if needed. (though some "character" is to be expected and is probably a good thing for such a project).
6. At the end of the hat's travels (travails?), it gets auctioned off to the highest bidder, possibly via Ebay's charitable auctions section.
7. Proceeds from the auction to be donated to skin cancer research and/or awareness campaigns, to encourage the wearing of hats for protection from the sun's harmful and possibly carcinogenic UV rays.
8. One of the bartenders, or at least one of our members, should ride herd on the project to see that the hat moves along as planned, sticks to the route (unless otherwise arranged), and is being signed, photographed, etc. I suggest it be a bartender so that the associated sticky threads can be pruned if necessary.
9. Associated marketing is possible with Traveling Hat mugs, shirts, etc? We'd need a logo and a slogan. "The Fedora Lounge Noggin Travelogue For Skin Cancer Awareness" or something actually good and well thought-out.
Respectfully and humbly submitted,

Scott

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Not bad, but...

Scotrace, your list has some good points and ideas, but if I may state some concerns for further consideration...

2. A one week time limit might be a bit too limiting, but I agree that a limit would be a good idea. I mean, what if the week you get it you are swamped with higher priorities. You might barely have time to get to a post office, never mind good pictures, finding "known people" or a personal hand off. Maybe two or three weeks would be better.

3. I don't think we should sign the hat. There are a great many people who want in on this, and that hats going to get really crowded and skeevey! Also, the picture requirements shouldn't be set in stone. Some people still don't have digital cameras, or printers to print pictures, etc.

That is all.:cheers1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot