Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White name tapes on nylon flight jackets

Cocker

Practically Family
Hello folks,

Since there's a couple real expert of flight jackets here, maybe some of you could help. I've seen pictures of repros L2 jackets from Buzz Rickson with white name tapes that look like simple stencils printed on white cotton. I've also seen this in a comic book, on some USN orange flight suits (Air Force Vietnam is the name of the serie), but never seen it on real flight jacket until now. Does any of you have some informations about these, as to when where they used?

This is what I'm talking about:

BR12476_03.jpg
img61419247.jpg
s-600x450-2010032500005.jpg

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
White cotton name strips were common on flight gear from the late fifties to the middle sixties when leather tags reappeared. The original white strips were wider (about 2 inches) than later ones (about 1.25 inches).

By the way, if the middle guy in the second photo below looks familiar, there’s a reason. He’s the father of the late John Denver.

01big.jpg

05big.jpg

AF

Last edited:

Stand By

One Too Many
Does anybody make them these days ? Split-S make superb leather name strips but who'd make the cotton ones ? Anybody know?

Cocker

Practically Family
Thanks Atticus, you're an information mine!!

It may not be period correct, but I'm thinking about sewing one on my Alpha L2B in AF Blue, along with the 334th FIS patch. And as for Trey Moore, I dealt a lot with him in the past for Vietnam reenactment, the guy's a pleasure to deal with, he's very helpful.

Edit: Just a quick question: what would be written on it? Just the last name?

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Atticus, when did they switch to blue tape with white lettering?

Big J, I've always been of the impression that the blue name tags were actually meant to go on uniforms, but were hijacked onto flight gear as well. As to dates, its hard to say. There wasn’t any particular time when all jackets had leather name tags...or when all had cloth strips. In period photos, there’s almost always a mixture of gear and insignia from several eras.

To wit:

af-1-1.jpg

AF

Cocker

Practically Family
Great pictures, and great infos again, Atticus. I know it's a cheap beater, but that's the kind of look I'm looking forward for my Alpha L2!

Cocker

Practically Family
Ooooh, it's actually one of the current productions Alpha L2... AF Blue like an L-2, orange lining and no zipper box flap like a late L-2B. Never found an original one with sleeves long enough for me...

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Ooooh, it's actually one of the current productions Alpha L2... AF Blue like an L-2, orange lining and no zipper box flap like a late L-2B. Never found an original one with sleeves long enough for me...

Actually...the L-2 was olive green. The L-2A was blue and the L-2B was sage green. Sounds like yours is closest to the L-2A. It'll look good patched a little...perhaps something Korean-era?

AF

Cocker

Practically Family
Actually...the L-2 was olive green. The L-2A was blue and the L-2B was sage green. Sounds like yours is closest to the L-2A. It'll look good patched a little...perhaps something Korean-era?

AF

Exactly! Got an Oxygen Mask tab from MASH to sew on left breast, 334th fighter Interceptor Squadron for right breast, and thinking about the white name tape right now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GilbertHit