Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why all the hatred towards black leather jackets?

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
The black leather jacket has almost become a cultural cliche. Especially the perfecto style. Just rent that flick Wild Hogs. LOL

Stearmen said:
I remember back in 1978, I was sitting at an intersection on my 76 Honda CJ360T wearing a full face helmet, gloves, jeans, knit gloves, and the big puffy blue parka that were in style back then, hardly Hells Angels! Right then, an elderly lady was walking in front of me, looked at me and clutched her purse tight against her mid section. Now I wear black leather and hear from older ladies, "oh my dentist has a Harley", times have certainly changed!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I have three brown leather jackets and one black one, a G&B Civil A-2 (so it's not a stereotypical black moto or racer jacket). The black one gets worn as much as the other three put together, because the majority of the rest of my wardrobe runs to blue/gray/black, not earthtones.

So I have no hatred towards black leather jackets. Over the years, I've owned about an equal number of black and brown ones. Both colors are classic, functional, and cool!

It sounds like some folks here are worrying way too much about the assumptions being made about them based on what jacket they're wearing. Aside from folks thinking "weird" or (if I'm lucky!) "retro", I just don't care... at this stage of my life, I'm dressing for ME, not them.

nicholasb

One of the Regulars
I simply prefer brown for myself but have no bad feelings towards black jackets. I thought black leather jackets were more common so people must like them. Maybe brown feels more retro or maybe it is because there are so many shades available in brown.

Feraud

Bartender
I think those old prejudices about black leather jackets have fallen to the wayside. Are rebels really wearing black leather and greasy pompadours? As noted above, it's a cliche.

The new fear are young ganstas with their droopy pants and bball caps. Now them cats are crazy! ;)

filfoster

One Too Many
Leather fetish

OK, I just bought a Museum Replicas Terminator2, 25-year commemorative replica black leather jacket, widely available, e.g.

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=900452

I don't know why. Now I have to get the shades and a sawed off Winchester M 1887 lever action shotgun and a motorcycle.

Anyway, heads up: the sizing is really strange. I ordered an XL, because the sites say they run small by a size. They sent an XXL and it fits perfectly. Beware!

Lear

One of the Regulars
Received my first black FQHH today. I can safely say that I've been cured. I've seen the light... black isn't just for the rebellious. Other factors come into play: age, attitude, cut, length, zip/button etc.

Design it to your need.

Lear

Lear

One of the Regulars
Edward said:
Yeah, you wanna be a rebel nowadays, wear a suit. Leather, not so much.

I don't know if you're joking, but there is some truth in this. Once you've pierced your spleen and tattooed your kidneys, there's literally nowhere left to go... so maybe back to the beginning (1930's-40's)

Lear

Edward

Bartender
Lear said:
I don't know if you're joking, but there is some truth in this. Once you've pierced your spleen and tattooed your kidneys, there's literally nowhere left to go... so maybe back to the beginning (1930's-40's)

Lear

I'm deadly serious. The Wild Hoggs comparison above ain't far off.... :)

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
Black is cool, and always in style

Black is cool, and always in style. It encourages observers to say nothing but good things about our jacket, and if they don't have anything good to say, they usually keep their mouth shut. That is what is great about the black leather jacket, it encourages this.
So, for those that choose black, you've got great taste and common sense in my book. I have a white jacket only because I've got a white car and it goes hand in hand with it, and I like the challenge of having to take care of it. Still I 've got more black than any other color in my jacket collection, because its always a great choice, anywhere, anytime. JMO

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Another angle. I have a few brown leather jackets. I have had comments along the line of "You're brave wearing a brown jacket, Son." Around here brown as a colour for clothing is kind of a nerd thing. It's only been in recent times, and through small internet communities who agonise over jackets, that brown has been acceptable. A good leather jacket maker in town here recently laughed when I asked him to make a jacket in brown. He said, "We don't do that, no demand for brown jackets, they are uncool."

Just another point of view. And heretical to more than a few on this site.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Seb Lucas said:
It's only been in recent times, and through small internet communities who agonise over jackets, that brown has been acceptable.

The numerous examples of brown leather jackets in the past show this not to be the case. Do you mean the recent past?

"We don't do that, no demand for brown jackets, they are uncool."

Just another point of view. And heretical to more than a few on this site.

Not heretical, but orthodox (see Wild Hogs above).

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
CP I'm talking about Melbourne, Australia. So, it's OK. I'm thinking about the past 25 years. I bought my first leather jacket then. I reckon there are still significant people who think brown is for loosers. (I don't agree, by the way.)

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I encountered similar resistance when I got my brown leather
Johnson jacket, years ago. Everyone I knew who had one had
ordered black. Seemed dull to follow suit. I note that Allan
at Johnson was wearing a blue jacket he had made for himself...

I do not hear the same about my brown GW A-1. I think part of
the issue is that people expect motorcycle-style jackets to be
black. It comes from the same part of the brain that associates
brown fedoras exclusively with Indiana Jones...

grukes

New in Town
I have to admit, I'm not a leather jacket person. I grew up around bikers and my whole family heads out to sturgis every year. So I have always associated black leather with bikers. I own one leather jacket, and it's a brown leather cafe racer schott jacket from the 60's. I seldom wear it, but it matches well with other colors and it does not come with the stigma of black leather jackets. I'm not sure I could ever sport the black leather jacket, unless I was cruising down route 66 on a harley or playing a character on 'The Outsiders'. That's just the association I have with black leather. I don't think I am the only one, and I think the media has had a lot to do with that stigma.

I personally prefer an old 30's/40's wool work jacket or a WWII USN peacoat. I've never felt comfortable in a leather jacket. But I must admit, nothing is better than the patina from an old 40's horsehide jacket. It's a beauty!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
My non-riding leather jacket, rescued from my father-in-law's attic. He doesn't seem to remember where it came from, because it belonged to one of his brothers. I've got to hit it with some conditioner, but I love the really worn -in look of the leather.

Any ideas as to age or maker are appreciated.
swift sleeve zips
DSC_0049.jpg

main zip
DSC_0054-1.jpg

back
DSC_0055.jpg

the only tag anywhere on it
DSC_0052-1.jpg

DSC_0074.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

DSC_0058.jpg

sportride67

New in Town
clearly, it's a Kehoe made in Michigan from the 1960's. Its a very identifiable jacket with the zip sleeves on the outside and the "kidney" protector on the back. Kehoe always had the high kidney section (lower portion of the back of the jacket)...they also had a higher than normal mandarin collar...which I see you wear layed down instead of up. Yes they have a nice patina to them over time. nice jacket.

My non-riding leather jacket, rescued from my father-in-law's attic. He doesn't seem to remember where it came from, because it belonged to one of his brothers. I've got to hit it with some conditioner, but I love the really worn -in look of the leather.

Any ideas as to age or maker are appreciated.
swift sleeve zips
DSC_0049.jpg

main zip
DSC_0054-1.jpg

back
DSC_0055.jpg

the only tag anywhere on it
DSC_0052-1.jpg

DSC_0074.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

DSC_0058.jpg

Windward

Practically Family
Black is cool, and always in style..... /QUOTE]

YES... I think the same and often wearing my black leather jacket with grey flanel and black cordovan shoes ... great feeling and my wife love this outfit soooo much...
what do you think....??
greybackground_WindwardVintageBlack.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner