Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why all the hatred towards black leather jackets?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Speedbird said:
Don't do it CC ..... just say "NO!" ..... you will regret it I guarantee ... you will wear it once and then it will live in the closet of shame forever more.. it is just wrong on so many levels.... lol lol lol

You are so right. That is one if the worst jackets I have ever seen.

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
Seb Lucas said:
You are so right. That is one if the worst jackets I have ever seen.
Yeah I passed on the Dainese. I think it'd look fine w/o the logos myself but I just couldn't get past that and the fact that the back and arms are not fully perforated.

So, I just placed an order to have a white perforated jacket made. It'll be modeled after the Schott 141 except will be white and full of tiny holes. lol

Made sense to go the custom route. First, it'll be made to my personal spec's and its only a few bucks more than a new Dainese. Second, it'll be made by a company with a good reputation in the racer community - triple stiched seams in impact areas, upgraded armor, double leather on elbows...

Johnnynotoes

Familiar Face
Black jacket...90 degrees...no problem. Stay out of rush hour city traffic and ride. Mind you I tend to have the sleeves zips open as well as the front down on killing hot days. Nice bug traps...only caught a bee sting once tho. The breezes over 40mph are fair cooling and it only gets better at speed. I don't do much city riding...otherwise white or natural tone might be actually useful. Love that Aero natural hide...

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Wasps

Johnnynotoes said:
Nice bug traps...only caught a bee sting once tho.
Bees I don't mind so much, they only sting once, Wasps, they keep on stinging until you either trap them in your shirt and squeeze, or pound on your body until they are dead! Neither is pleasant, but when you are on a motorcycle at 80MPH, drastic measures are in order!

westinghouse

One of the Regulars
Stearmen said:
Bees I don't mind so much, they only sting once, Wasps, they keep on stinging until you either trap them in your shirt and squeeze, or pound on your body until they are dead! Neither is pleasant, but when you are on a motorcycle at 80MPH, drastic measures are in order!
Does this frequently happen?

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
Johnnynotoes said:
Black jacket...90 degrees...no problem. Stay out of rush hour city traffic and ride. Mind you I tend to have the sleeves zips open as well as the front down on killing hot days. Nice bug traps...only caught a bee sting once tho. The breezes over 40mph are fair cooling and it only gets better at speed. I don't do much city riding...otherwise white or natural tone might be actually useful. Love that Aero natural hide...
Not me... 90 degree weather even factoring a 60 mph wind "chill" is still 90 %!#*%$%f degrees. I hate hot weather... and while I own several mesh jackets, I only trust good leather in a fall.

Been stung by a bee except he got me through the mesh panel of my riding pants. Lil' ba***rd got me good.:rage:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Ridding Fun

westinghouse said:
I went 40 years without a wasp sting, then twice in one year they got into my shirt while ridding! More fun then I need!

Johnnynotoes

Familiar Face
A few years ago I was out the hiway with my goggles up and just wearing a small pair of granny style Lennon glasses. Ten minutes into it, squinting from the wind at 100 klicks or so, I kept feeling a tickle around my nose. Every minute or two I'd paw at my face thinking it was an errant hair. I was a ponytail guy in those days and strays were always around. Only thing I could figure.

Riding like this for a half hr. or so I pulled in at a friends place. Removing my lid and specs to give my face a rub I noticed...a live wasp jammed headfirst between the nosepad and frame of the glasses. What was tickling my nose were his front legs. His butt end was still furiously stabbing about trying to hit something! I didn't recall feeling him hit and with the wind compromising my vision somewhat, couldn't see the little bugger...just felt the tickling.

I was amazed at my luck plus the sheer rarity of this happening and kept running about to show everyone my little hitcher. He was a bit busted up so I put 'im down unfortunately. It could have been easily me had he made it past my lens. I still think about that one.

cptjeff

Practically Family
Stearmen said:
I went 40 years without a wasp sting, then twice in one year they got into my shirt while ridding! More fun then I need!

Reminds me of another reason why I've never felt much of a desire to ride....

filfoster

One Too Many
Back to black

I'm not sure why but black leather jackets seem a bit 'edgier' than brown. Don't know if it's the motorcyle image or the Mad Max/Terminator thing or the more 'hip' vibe it gives but brown seems a more satisfying and useful shade for me. I really have nothing against black leather jackets at all but just wouldn't see myself in one.

jporgeck

Familiar Face
I personally like black (or brown) leather jackets. The essential black leather motorcycle jacket. I also have a dressier black leather upper thigh length - call it my "Guido" jacket. lol

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
westinghouse said:

For me, it was not a wasp but a june bug splatting into my faceshield at highway speeds (I-95). My MSF instructor said always wear a full face helmet and he was right!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Bug Splat

I just want to know why, wether your wearing a full face helmet or just goggles,the bug always splatters right in your line of vision?

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nevermind the organ donors

Laurie%20Anderson%20and%20Lou%20Reed.jpg

24vo3lb

pge1.jpg

26_style_icon.jpg

p-1-1027.jpg

SidVicious.gif

all of which has nothing to do with why I recently ordered a black Aero.

Edward

Bartender
You wouldn't want to have been inspired to spend big on leather by the picture of Iggy Pop in the above - if memory serves, that jacket was PVC! ;)

Preacher

New in Town
re: black leather

I have been riding for 50 years, on the street since 1967. My jackets have always been black up till recently when I bought a brown one. I simply got tired of "looking like everyone else." I still have my Brooks 511 that is 31 years old, I have two "vented racers" a black and a brown that are from BikerLeather.com, recently a very lightweight racer, lousy cheap leather that looks more like plastic than leather, but it was CHEAP, and eventually will break in.
Black does have one advantage over brown: grease and roadgrime do not show as badly. I ride a hardtail chopper, no front fender: after a couple hundred miles in the rain, things get a bit grimy. Black jacket, not so bad. lol
Brown, streaked.
I think, having come up through the days of "oh no, one of them biker hoodlums" (which thankfully seem not to exist anymore at least in most places) that black leather "biker jackets" ala Brando no longer have that stigma attached.
For the record, when I ride the scoot to Church on Sunday, I wear jeans, black dress shirt, black boots, black jacket, and a black vest I wear when I Preach. No one has ever said you look like a hood...only that I look comfortable. lol
Blessings,

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Hoodlum

Preacher said:
(which thankfully seem not to exist anymore at least in most places) that black leather "biker jackets" ala Brando no longer have that stigma attached.
For the record, when I ride the scoot to Church on Sunday, I wear jeans, black dress shirt, black boots, black jacket, and a black vest I wear when I Preach. No one has ever said you look like a hood...only that I look comfortable. lol
Blessings,
I remember back in 1978, I was sitting at an intersection on my 76 Honda CJ360T wearing a full face helmet, gloves, jeans, knit gloves, and the big puffy blue parka that were in style back then, hardly Hells Angels! Right then, an elderly lady was walking in front of me, looked at me and clutched her purse tight against her mid section. Now I wear black leather and hear from older ladies, "oh my dentist has a Harley", times have certainly changed!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot