Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why are people often saying, that denim-jackets have to be worn open??

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
You are well on your way to a Canadian Tuxedo like this...

https://www.birchbox.com/guide/article/how-to-wear-a-canadian-tuxedo

Or maybe this!

3436624034_868f2022e7.jpg

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Huh?

I just realised it's been years since I wore a jacket. I think wearing one was a stage I went through. I kind of like them - don't own one - but can't decide on one I like enough.

Huh?

I just realised it's been years since I wore a jacket. I think wearing one was a stage I went through. I kind of like them - don't own one - but can't decide on one I like enough.

Of course, Denim is still a trousers-textile and Denim-jackets just combine some disadvantages:
1. got it's weight (classic heavy Denim)
2. no breathability (tight twill-weave is just twill-weave)
3. on cold and windy german spring or autumn the Denim-jacket isn't warm enough, because the cold gets through the textil
4. the sun shines on the blue or dark-blue and heated the jacket up, very fast

Pro:
-general price-level

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
the strange thing, and this is "clinically" tested first hand, 2 jackets exactly the same pattern and size, lined with exactly the same fabric, one jacket has thin denim outer shell in mid blue, one in black heavy cowhide, worn by same test subject (me), the denim one is much hotter under sun exposure and when ambient temperature is high, much much hotter, that's why I rarely take picture with me wearing it, because it makes me sweating everytime.

xmr

One of the Regulars
So you think the only advantage a denim jacket has is its price?

Well, I like a heavy denim jacket and I wear mine in the spring, summer, autumn and winter.

Who told you they're not breathable? That's complete nonsense as they are made out of cotton.

Last edited:
the strange thing, and this is "clinically" tested first hand, 2 jackets exactly the same pattern and size, lined with exactly the same fabric, one jacket has thin denim outer shell in mid blue, one in black heavy cowhide, worn by same test subject (me), the denim one is much hotter under sun exposure and when ambient temperature is high, much much hotter, that's why I rarely take picture with me wearing it, because it makes me sweating everytime.

Maybe, the twill-weave of the first jacket could be more tight woven, than on the second?

The breathability is just a basic problem on classic tight woven twill-weave like Denim.

Last edited:
Denim may use thick threads but it isn't tightly woven, just hold it up to the light & you'll see it shining through.........denim is pretty useless as a wind break too.

Ok, more or less tight-woven, but robust working-textile itself. :D

But it's true. On cold spring or autumn-wind, it doesn't keep warm enough, so better a flannel-shirt or a wool-pullover under it. ;)

xmr

One of the Regulars
Ok, more or less tight-woven, but robust working-textile itself. :D

But it's true. On cold spring or autumn-wind, it doesn't keep warm enough, so better a flannel-shirt or a wool-pullover under it. ;)

Yes, it's just a denim jacket after all.

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
The gentleman in the "Good '70s" post? You wouldn't even notice his clothes. You'd be watching his eyes and his hands and never turn your back to him.

I have a denim jacket but it's not waist length. It's hip length, maybe for or five inches too long, which means it really isn't the best thing for driving or otherwise sitting. I'm also not fond of the buttons but the inside pockets are handy.

In an old book about camping from around 1920, the writer begins by discussing the various places around the country where you might have an outing, from a sandy beach somewhere on the Atlantic to the western plains. On the western plains, he said the customary dress includes a vest, which is never buttoned except when cold winds blow. When winter comes, as it always does, the cowboy puts on a sheepskin lined coat. The writer was surprisingly dogmatic about dress, too. I've never understood why large silk bandanas were considered so essential in the "golden age of camping."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner