Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wide Floppy Hats in NYC

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
A good story, although I wish there was more video of people grabbing their hats, rather than just still photos.

The big floppy hats on women are very popular now in Shanghai, too. When I flew to Japan in December, I counted a dozen women standing in line head of me to check baggage who were wearing black, wide-brimmed fedoras. They seem to have caught on as a travel hat here.

This is a video from 1903, showing folks holding tight to their hats as they pass the Flatiron building. A few lose their lids, including an African-American gentleman with a nice-looking campaign style hat in a light color. It's a good hat film all around.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=porZ2jOaYew

JoeyC

One of the Regulars
Lovely film. Thanks for sharing it. Some beautiful examples of derbies, love them, unfortunately I don't think they suit me all that well. Difficult to find them with tall crowns, I have a few I bought off ebay just for nostalgic reasons. Today many consider them costume though they are still offered.

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
Frunobulax--the wind trolley stand is a great idea. Every day could be a "Blow-Out Sale"!

JoeyC--My only derby at the moment is a wool one I bought when I was in college. But I can tell you that I get compliments every time I wear it. I'm seriously thinking about picking up one of those 150th anniversary Stetson derbies.

Here in China, you see quite a few young men and women wearing bowler-style wool fashion hats. You also see lot of people wearing trilbies pulled down on their heads so that the bash pops out, rendering them rather derby-like in profile. Even shop owners do this on the mannequin displays.

In Japan, I saw young men wearing what were clearly vintage bowlers.

So if you like the look, don't be afraid. Wear it with pride.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy