Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

William Powell comedies

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I always see My Man Godfrey on lists of funniest movies. I personally think High Pressure is funnier.
He made so many great comedies. Do Loungers agree that Godfrey is his best or do have a different favorite?

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Oh man, this is a tough one. The top for me will always be The Thin Man, but My Man Godfrey is running a close second. It is simply amazing to me how he is such a distinguished gentleman and yet so funny at the same time.

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
I'm not sure I've seen a William Powell movie I didn't like. My Man Godfrey would certainly be close to the top of the list, though (along with The Thin Man and Shadow of the Thin Man). He was brilliant.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I have yet to see High Pressure.:(

Powell was such a marvelous comedic actor! My Man Godfrey is a very good film, but I suspect it's the social commentary that sets it apart in importance from the rest.

To the above mentioned films, I'll have to add a few more.

Double Wedding is hilarious, and Powell plays a role that is distinctly un-Powell. Another favorite of mine is I Love You Again, and as both of these films also star Myrna Loy, what's not to love about them? Fashions of 1934 is another enjoyable film.

Powell's charm and talent enabled him to perfrom equally well in either drama or comedy, something many actors either can't do or don't get the chance.

Brad

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Powell is my all-time favorite. But Godfrey would not top my list. The Thin Man and I love You Again perhaps. But anything with Powell is going to be good.

Any more word on the new collection of Powell-Loy films?

artdecodame

One of the Regulars
The Wolf said:
Do Loungers agree that Godfrey is his best or do have a different favorite?

I rather like that one, but the Thin Man pictures are still my favorites! I also love "Double Wedding" ('37); I remember really cracking up during scenes from that one!! :D

doublewedding.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
Any more word on the new collection of Powell-Loy films?

Nothing yet, but I'd be surprised to see the "official" annoucement before November or December, at the earliest.

It will be a joyous day when the set arrives!

Brad

Novella

Practically Family
Of the ones I've seen The Thin Man is definitely my favorite of Powell's movies. My Man Godfrey is a great film, but I think Powell and Loy make a better team than Powell and Lombard.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
I prefer Love Crazy, but let's face it, any movie with Gail Patrick in it is bound to hold my interest (and continue to do so in my dreams!).

I love the line in Love Crazy when Gail Patrick turns the scalding water down for Powell, who is hiding in the shower and then tells her husband, "There, dear, it's nice and tepid!" That line makes the rounds with my wife and I...

...Can't get enough of William Powell!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Love Crazy, Our Man Godfrey and the first Thin Man are my favorites but I like him in any comedy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy