Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WW2 USAAF embossed wings

Cocker

Practically Family
Hello folks,

I was wondering if USAAF wings embossed on leather WITHOUT any name or rank indications were common in WW2? I'm still on the prowl for a B-10, love the look of the leather wings on them, but I'm not sure I'd like to put my name on display, so this could be one option.

Of course, pictures would be welcome!

TPD166

One Too Many
I am by no means an expert, and there are plenty on TFL who are, but I have seen very few wings on WW-II USAAF jackets. Most of those that I have seen were either pinned on or painted on.

TPD166

One Too Many
But there are examples of Army jackets with embossed wings, but these also appear to include the name and not just wings. Hope these help.

This is an ANJ-3 jacket that is on display at LAX.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Anyone can feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to recall at least a few pics of A-2s with embossed wings and no name.

I think that it was by no means common. But since you can see a fair amount of let's call it, "wartime latitude" during the A-2's heyday, I think you can reasonably put on a set of wings and not be completely out to lunch!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deacon211

One Too Many
Just a few I found on Google with all sorts of variation

b9bb44a9428446d76f4a74932c43b24c.jpg

4fb109e5cc3fc85f36784e62b330b86b.jpg

7f6ce2adfcfe9d740fd3dce4362aa869.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Technonut

Practically Family
It also depends on which theater of operations one is attempting to replicate (if any)... I presented a similar question to John Chapman when inquiring whether an embossed wings tag would look 'right' on my Rough Wear A-2 repro. The jacket has a Flying Tigers squadron patch, and John replied that the embossed wings were primarily used on A-2's in the ETO, not the PTO, or CBI..

Cocker

Practically Family
Guys, that's great pieces of advise, thank you!

If I find the proverbial B-10 in a size that would fit my arms length, I'd like to patch it with a 425th NFS patch, so ETO it would be, and embossed wings would not be "out of place".

Stand By

One Too Many
If you're interested in incised leather and some the jackets above are for the MTO, then I can recommend Roberto at italianpatchmaker.it as he did the patches for my MTO-themed jacket.
He has just remade the group patch for Lucky Dog, my Aero ANJ-3 - I wanted another making in more complementary colours (more blues where the grays were and a switch from Cadmium Yellow to Cadmium Yellow Deep) to the one I'd had done before I started painting - and he nailed the colours and size I wanted perfectly!
Anyway, here's a close up of the incised wings - and a general back shot so you can see how the new patch now looks with the other colours going on.
And as long as it looks authentic and in keeping with your jacket - and you're a qualified pilot - then I say why not have wings? You've earned 'em.
Hope that helps.

wings1.jpg
wings2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael