Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your beauty mistakes

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I was a child (more like teen) of the 80s as well and can completely relate to the tidal wave bangs lol

Welcome to the Lounge :D

One of these days I'm going to get real brave (or perhaps drunk) and post my senior class photo here from 1993. It has it all - hot neon pink background, giant tidal wave bangs lacquered with copious amounts of Aqua Net, *huge* spiral permed hair, bad makeup... I could go on, but I'm sure you all get the picture. The only thing missing is a hypercolor t-shirt. :lol:

rue

One of these days I'm going to get real brave (or perhaps drunk) and post my senior class photo here from 1993. It has it all - hot neon pink background, giant tidal wave bangs lacquered with copious amounts of Aqua Net, *huge* spiral permed hair, bad makeup... I could go on, but I'm sure you all get the picture. The only thing missing is a hypercolor t-shirt. :lol:

Let me buy you a drink :p

I have one that showcases blue eye-shadow.... not one of my best moments lol

Drappa

One Too Many
My mom once told the hairdresser she could do what she liked with my hair as long as it was trendy. This was in the late 80s or early 90s and I was a young teen and walked out of there with a mullet. I mean a full on buzz cut of 2 or 3" on top and long in the back. Washed my hair five times to try and flatten it, then cried. The worst part was that a girl at my school who I didn't like loved it so much, she got the same haircut a day later.

AdrianLvsRocky

One of the Regulars
I've been a victim of The Mullet too! Mine was my own doing though. I was a real tom-boy when I was younger and when I saw my brother getting a spiked hair-do, I wanted one too and kicked up a big fuss. My mother just said to the hairdresser "For goodness sake just give her some spikes but try and make it slightly feminine." I thought I was the puppy's privates.

My "Mulleted" childhood photos are my husbands favourites by far.

Drappa

One Too Many
Ha, I made sure there are no photos of mine! As a child my Mom once took me to a barber in Turkey, who gave me a sort of bowl cut, and I ran home and cried because several people thought I was a boy. To this day I can't imagine cutting my hair short, although I'm pretty sure people would not think me a man now. Early trauma I suppose.

AdrianLvsRocky

One of the Regulars
Ooh! I had a frosty blue eye shadow when I was about 15. I'm sure it would have looked better if I'd had a clue how to apply it! Blue, glittery cheeks anyone?

wahine

Practically Family
Getting a perm (early 90s) wasn't my best idea.
My worst:
When I was ten or eleven years old, I tried to bleach my hair at home (my best friend hat wonderful, naturally blonde hair while mine was brown).
As if it wasn't enough that I wore one of the worst haircuts at the time - now I looked like a carrot!
But I had some standing, telling everyone that I liked it that way when they were telling me I didn't look so good now.

Oh, and I cut my own bangs when I went to kindergarten. Always a good laugh when I show people my old pictures...

Flicka

One Too Many
Two words: Bowl Cut

I was twelve and heard, "excuse me, young man" one too many times.....the MC Hammer pants probably didn't help much either. :cool:

When I called my ex at work once and left a message to phone home, the girl in the reception told him his little son had called. What a great voice I must have! :D

Flicka

One Too Many
Getting a perm (early 90s) wasn't my best idea.
Oh, and I cut my own bangs when I went to kindergarten. Always a good laugh when I show people my old pictures...

My worst story (but not about me) was when I had a bunch of friends over for a Mexican themed dinner party. After 1 1/2 bottle of tequila and 25 Coronas (split on 5 girls) the others started cutting each other's hair. When I woke up the next morning, I found enormous amounts of hair that they'd hidden under the bathtub. Yuck. Still, it was better than the girl who woke up with half her hair sheared off (please note that they ranged between 30 and 45 years old, so they really should have known better).

wahine

Practically Family
If that isn't an argument against overdrinking!?
My cousins and I once cut my other cousins - then butt long - hair short. But we were, like 8 years old. But then: the grown-ups were partying at the time, probably drinking, and didn't notice. So it's still an argument against overdrinking :D

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Oh, thank you. :) I have to keep it short for efficiency. I can't be bothered to style long hair. Lol

I too love your hair! I keep my hair fairly short and have gone everything from long angled bob to super short pixie over the last few years. Pixie cuts are so easy and fun! It is darling on you.

lauryn

New in Town
I think one of my biggest beauty mistakes was not keeping care of my eyebrows. I cringe when I look at some older pictures! Shapely eyebrows really do a lot for my face, and I have definitely come to treasure nice eyebrows!

I do agree! I did pretty much the same thing and in the end regreted it. Ever since I started paying attention to my eyebrows I get a lot of compliments about it!

Jo Larke

New in Town
My freshman year of college I decided to give myself some Audrey Hepburn/Breakfast at Tiffany's style bangs. Somehow I ended up with bangs that were about and inch long-- they were extremely short! I thought I looked just like Audrey for a while and wore them for a while, but now that I look at the (very few, thankfully) pictures from those months, I wonder what my classmates must have thought of me....

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
Ugh, I discovered how "easy" it was to trim my own bangs when I was 15.... generally with blunt fabric scissors, in our shadowy bathroom. Also in high school, I went back and forth so often between dying my hair black, then growing it out to its natural chestnut, that it was visibly striped. Oh, and by 16 I was devoted to looking just like Ronnie Spector, and very heavy-handed with the teasing comb and liquid eye-liner cateyes (lower lid and all). Every day. To school. In retrospect, I looked far more like an underaged streetwalker than a Ronnette. Strange years, high school...

Last edited:

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Oh i'm glad it's not just me then that has been scissor happy over the years, resulting in all manner of 'shock-fringes'. I have finally learned that alcohol and home hairdressing aren't a good mix.

Rodeorose - just the fact you wanted to 'do' your best Ronnie Spector everyday, makes you utterly brilliant in my eyes. I'm sure you looked fantastic, seeing as how you always look so stylish and lovely in your photos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner