Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favorite movie quotes

"You can't kill 'em all, Josey Wales."
"That a fact?"

Jamie: [Josey and Jamie are waiting for the Redlegs to cross the river] They comin'.
[Josie pulls a Sharp's rifle with a early telescopic sight on it from his horse]
Carpetbagger: Do you really think you can shoot all those men down before they shoot you? No, no, Mr. Josey Wales; there is such a thing in this country called justice!
Josey Wales: Well, Mr. Carpetbagger. We got somethin' in this territory called the Missouri boat ride.
[shoots the rope hauling the ferry across the river]
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/?qt0176165

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Perhaps the greatest film monologue ever written.

[video=youtube;WINDtlPXmmE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WINDtlPXmmE[/video]

Howard Beale's "Mad As Hell" speech from "Network," by Paddy Chayefsky, delivered by Peter Finch.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
^^^^^
Peter Finch was fantastic in Network. His posthumous Oscar for best actor was well deserved.

So was Faye Dunaway ... and William Holden ... and Ned Beatty, whose character ("Arthur Jensen") scares the bejesus out of me. He knows exactly how to bend Peter Finch's character to his will.

[video=youtube;v3vbCxj2ifs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3vbCxj2ifs[/video]

Last edited:

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I introduced one of the kids from work to this movie a couple weeks ago. "When did you say this was made?" was her reaction. Absolutely terrified her.

Terrified me when I first saw it too. Are American movies like "Network" being made anymore? Is there any "Dr. Strangelove" for today? Any "Being There"?

[video=youtube;Bow1ZJTV4L4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bow1ZJTV4L4[/video]

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Terrified me when I first saw it too. Are American movies like "Network" being made anymore? Is there any "Dr. Strangelove" for today? Any "Being There"?

Well, there's always "Idiocracy," although as much as I admire Mike Judge's gall, he's no Paddy Chayefsky. I don't think people are capable of writing like that anymore -- language skills have degenerated too far.

Flicka

One Too Many
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist - The Usual Suspects.

They stole that from Baudelaire. Not verbatim, but close. Baudelaire said: "la plus belle des ruses du diable est de vous persuader qu'il n'existe pas!" (the best of the devil's trick is to persuade you he doesn't exist!)

Well, there's always "Idiocracy," although as much as I admire Mike Judge's gall, he's no Paddy Chayefsky. I don't think people are capable of writing like that anymore -- language skills have degenerated too far.

In that I disagree. I don't think the problem is what people of today are capable of producing linguistically. I think it's more to do with what actually gets published and filmed, which in turn likely depends on the expectations of what the intended audience will or will not grasp. Now, I'm not that into films, but at least there are some exceedingly skilled writers of prose and poetry active today.

Take 'Book of Dave' by Will Self for example. Whether you like it or not, it's hard to deny the writer's skill in regards to language.

DNO

One Too Many
Another one of my favourite 'Clint' movies: Kelly's Heroes.

Most of the great quotes in this one come from the Donald Sutherland character, Oddball:

Oddball to Moriarty: "Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?"

Oddball to Moriarty, again: "Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves."

Oddball to Crapgame: "To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three tigers."

Oddball to Kelly: "A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge."

The Amazing Colossal Man (1957)

LTC Glenn Manning: "Alright, Sergeant, why don't you ask me what it feels like to be a freak."

Sergeant (scared): "Please sir, I...

Manning: "I'll tell you! This is what it feels like to be something you can stick your fist through a circus tent! Like a clown! Who else but a clown would have an expandable sarong like this? You know, it's adjustable! I can grow to be a hundred feet tall and I don't need a change of wardrobe! Army ingenuity!

Sergeant: "Sir, may I leave?"

Manning: "Why? You want to go back to your quarters and tell your friends about the monster? About the circus freak? That's right, Sergeant, I'm a circus freak. 'Have a tent, will travel!' Why don't you make me up a sign that says See The Amazing Colossal Man?"

(chuckles)

That was it, wasn't it, Sergeant? You do think I'm a freak, don't you? You wanna know something? With me it's different, I think YOU'RE the freak. I think YOU'RE the one who's different. I'm not growing, YOU'RE SHRINKING!"

(maniacal laughter)

Last edited:

Flynn

New in Town
One of my favorite all time quotes is from LOTR when Gandalf says, "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

leopardstyle

One of the Regulars
-Replicants are like any other machine - they're either a benefit or a hazard. If they're a benefit, it's not my problem.

-This is Zhora. She's trained for an Off-World kick murder squad. Talk about Beauty and the Beast - she's both.

-They don't advertise for killers in the newspaper. That was my profession. Ex-cop. Ex-blade runner. Ex-killer.

-I need ya, Decks. This is a bad one, the worst yet. I need the old blade runner, I need your magic.

All From Blade Runner

joshlake

New in Town
As a former magician...

As a former magician and current film student, Hugo was something special to me when I saw it and it had one of my favorite quotes, although I really cannot choose just one, here is something that is just plain special to me.

"If you've ever wondered where your dreams come from, you look around. This is where they're made." --George Melies, Hugo

Worf

I'll Lock Up
From one of my faves "They Were Expendable":

Lt. Commander Brickley is talking to Dad Longworth a old "Okey" who runs a ship repair site and who's repairing 2 damaged PT Boats.

Brick: "Don't know how I'm gonna pay you for this Dad."
Dad Longworth: "You fight em and I'll fix em that's pay enough!"

Dad Longworth: I just hope I can get em done before the Japs move in.
Brick: "Any Jap activity around here?"
Dad Longworth: "They're on half the nearby Islands. Jap destroyers and cruisers been nosing around fer days."
Brick: What are you gonna do if the Japs make a landing?"
Dad Longworth: "They'll have to fight to get me!"

Worf

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
The last movie I can recall watching was 'The Red Baron' on Netflix - my favorite quote was:

"... we've turned the world into a damn slaughterhouse and I'm already too big a part of it. They use my photograph to give hope where there is none. They use my name to feign immortality whereas the reality is annihilation. You said it yourself, the men dying out there have no choice. I have and I cannot order men into battle. I can, perhaps, lead them, help them, die with them, but I will not betray them or keep the truth from them by remaining the immortal god that Berlin wants me to be." - Richthofen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner