Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favourite jacket - RIGHT NOW

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Current favorite: Original Buco J-100

Buco J100 0045.jpg

Gamma68

One Too Many
Gamma,
sweet jacket and it fits you very well! i'd love to find an old Bates w/ dress collar.
how'd rejuvenation process work out? you had written about stiff-ish and dry(?)
i brought that recently acquired Sportster back best i could. wasn't too bad but also a little stiff and dry. used Lexol as i figured i needed penetration.
best,
mike

Thanks for the compliments. Yes, the Bates jacket was very dirty and dry when it arrived. First, I hand washed it in the tub in cold water with a little Woolite dark. A lot of dirt came out in that wash and rinse process. I laid it flat on a towel to air dry outdoors.

Then I set about reconditioning. I had just bought some Leather Honey and tried it out. It seemed to disappear quickly without having much effect on the leather. Frankly, the product was very disappointing (it's also a little messy to work with). It took a couple thin coats of Lexol afterwards to begin bringing it back. Then I went over it with Pecards, which seemed to have the biggest impact. The sleeves are still a little stiff but that's where the leather is the thickest. I might try going over the sleeves one more time with the Leather Honey to see what happens.

Right now, it's at a local seamstress for some repairs. The elastic bands across the back are shot and will be replaced. The zipper tape at the insertion pin is separated from the jacket and fraying. She will re-sew that and fix another area of loose thread at the bottom hem that she spotted.

I think I'll also use some Gulf Wax on the zippers to keep them gliding smoothly.

Then, it'll be ready for the next 50 years!

Thanks for the compliments. Yes, the Bates jacket was very dirty and dry when it arrived. First, I hand washed it in the tub in cold water with a little Woolite dark. A lot of dirt came out in that wash and rinse process. I laid it flat on a towel to air dry outdoors.

Then I set about reconditioning. I had just bought some Leather Honey and tried it out. It seemed to disappear quickly without having much effect on the leather. Frankly, the product was very disappointing (it's also a little messy to work with). It took a couple thin coats of Lexol afterwards to begin bringing it back. Then I went over it with Pecards, which seemed to have the biggest impact. The sleeves are still a little stiff but that's where the leather is the thickest. I might try going over the sleeves one more time with the Leather Honey to see what happens.

Right now, it's at a local seamstress for some repairs. The elastic bands across the back are shot and will be replaced. The zipper tape at the insertion pin is separated from the jacket and fraying. She will re-sew that and fix another area of loose thread at the bottom hem that she spotted.

I think I'll also use some Gulf Wax on the zippers to keep them gliding smoothly.

Then, it'll be ready for the next 50 years!

That Leather Honey stuff is supposed to be the best. I've never had much luck with Pecard. Lanolin is the best I've yet tried. Just bringing a Vanson jacket back to life with it.

Gamma68

One Too Many
That Leather Honey stuff is supposed to be the best. I've never had much luck with Pecard. Lanolin is the best I've yet tried. Just bringing a Vanson jacket back to life with it.

I think each jacket responds differently to different leather dressing products. All I can say is I wasn't impressed by the Leather Honey whatsoever. In my limited experience, Pecards penetrates leather the best and is the easiest to work with. Vaseline may very well be the exact same product.

Are you using pure Lanolin? I have a small bottle of the stuff and use a small drop of it when I hand wash wool sweaters. Never thought of using it on leather as it's very sticky.

I think each jacket responds differently to different leather dressing products. All I can say is I wasn't impressed by the Leather Honey whatsoever. In my limited experience, Pecards penetrates leather the best and is the easiest to work with. Vaseline may very well be the exact same product.

Are you using pure Lanolin? I have a small bottle of the stuff and use a small drop of it when I hand wash wool sweaters. Never thought of using it on leather as it's very sticky.

100% pure Lanolin. The super greasy kind that's like wax. Applying it isn't easy - hairdryer helps - but the results are amazing. First I've tried it on a couple of ancient harness boots that were stiff and dry. The boots became almost too soft and are completely comfortable now! Then I've used it on a couple of jackets to the same effect. It softens up leather so much it's scary. Now I'm waiting for a Vanson jacket to soak it up but it's already 2x more pliable than it was and that thing was like a cardboard box. Funny thing is it that the jacket now smells exactly the same as Horween CXL.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
The original post is what it is all about as my favourite changes daily.
For most of the winter outside wear was an original Woolrich from the late 60s to 70s. It was warmer than most padded jackets on general sale and I could layer up if necessary. At home I would lounge around in a Eastman B3 that was just right to doze off watching TV. Why not the B3 outside? For me it was a bit short.
Going out during Autumn Winter I took to the Aero Teamster or Thunderbay, special jackets for special days you see.
Now into spring and the heavy weather stuff does not lie forgotten and unloved but resides in the wardrobe till colder climates. Spring in England can be fickle though so now there is no particular favourite though the motorcycle wardrobe often comes into play and the favourite is a Dianese Power Ranger set, also a BKS police two piece I am wearing in watching the TT racing on TV. This is a professional working garment, not a lightweight racing set but perfectly suited for its full days service with the UK Police but now retired for casual wearing by us, the general public.
Going to work in an area of well known disrepute, stabbings and violence can be an everyday thing in Ilford(Check the recent news from the last couple of months) I tend to wear shopping mall clothing, I don't want anyone mugging anything expensive off me, and if the crime rate increases I may invest in a stab proof vest which I can wear under a large baggy jacket. You think I'm joking don't you, try riding a pizza delivery scooter in London and its outer suburbs these days.
On a lighter note for warmer weather, as Mr Peacoat says, it is T shirts and maybe a Highwayman or an A2 at the most.
Looking now for a linen " Man from Del-Monte" suite for the holiday in Malta this summer:D:D:D
Seey'all, J Tee

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Been liking this one on the bike. It's very warm, don't feel the wind at all. Quite thick horsehide with cotton lining with some kind of stuffing in it. It will do til I get my Aero highwayman which is somewhere in the mail at the moment hopefully!
Is that an Eastman Luftwaffe? Quite a nice jacket for the vintage biker look. But Eastman or Aero don't put anything in the slash pockets or it may get sucked out as my wallet did some time back.
If you are a bit of a fashionista like me with bike gear I would get some matching gloves but then both your helmet and gloves are the safer bet. :)

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
Definitely the Vanson E highwayman i bought from a lounge member 6 weeks ago.If I had bought this jacket 40 years ago it would have saved me a fortune trying to find the perfect jacket.Been a daily wearer in and out the house trying to break it in,,soaked with Scottish rain and it’s now taking shape,,replaced the flimsy belt with one I had made by The Isle of Skye leather company..

Andrew Putnam

Familiar Face
Is that an Eastman Luftwaffe? Quite a nice jacket for the vintage biker look. But Eastman or Aero don't put anything in the slash pockets or it may get sucked out as my wallet did some time back.
If you are a bit of a fashionista like me with bike gear I would get some matching gloves but then both your helmet and gloves are the safer bet. :)

Hey yeah- this pic was in no way a representation of fashion sense haha. But thanks- totally agree. I have a summer riding jacket but it's been freezing here and I've had this jacket for a while and thought, why not put it to use? I almost always wear a yellow hi vis vest when riding anyway.

It has two inside pockets where I keep phone and wallet. It's not Eastman it's Noblehouse Jagdflieger BF109 which I think especially for price is an outstanding jacket. But then again I've never owned an Eastman so nothing to compare. But for a knock about Motorcycle winter coat the NH... well it's warm, comfortable, feels good to wear and great abrasion resistance should I come off. Nice heavy vege tanned too I think Horsehide. Collar is great for keeping the wind out under the helmet.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Hey yeah- this pic was in no way a representation of fashion sense haha. But thanks- totally agree. I have a summer riding jacket but it's been freezing here and I've had this jacket for a while and thought, why not put it to use? I almost always wear a yellow hi vis vest when riding anyway.

It has two inside pockets where I keep phone and wallet. It's not Eastman it's Noblehouse Jagdflieger BF109 which I think especially for price is an outstanding jacket. But then again I've never owned an Eastman so nothing to compare. But for a knock about Motorcycle winter coat the NH... well it's warm, comfortable, feels good to wear and great abrasion resistance should I come off. Nice heavy vege tanned too I think Horsehide. Collar is great for keeping the wind out under the helmet.
The pocket layout is similar to the Luftwaffe which is why I asked and Noblehouse do make a few Eastman lookalikes so the padding you mention threw me slightly. Still, it's a nice jacket.
The older Eastmans are great but have a pleated back, also the shoulders tend to be a bit wide, then again I have had mine about 20 years so the patten I believe has changed.Now named as an Ostermann, the nearest in German he could get for Eastman. Also I did hear his sales of this style are improving with the removal of the name Luftwaffe.

Andrew Putnam

Familiar Face
The pocket layout is similar to the Luftwaffe which is why I asked and Noblehouse do make a few Eastman lookalikes so the padding you mention threw me slightly. Still, it's a nice jacket.
The older Eastmans are great but have a pleated back, also the shoulders tend to be a bit wide, then again I have had mine about 20 years so the patten I believe has changed.Now named as an Ostermann, the nearest in German he could get for Eastman. Also I did hear his sales of this style are improving with the removal of the name Luftwaffe.
Yeah "Luft-waffe" "Air weapon" It's still called Luftwaffe, odd that people would be turned off by the name really. I supposethey incorrectly attribute certain connotations to it. "Oster"-Easter "Mann"-Man. Easter Man jacket then!
There is already a spice company called Ostmann which is closer to East man than Easter Man. But as you said it must be as close as they can get for whatever reason.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Yeah "Luft-waffe" "Air weapon" It's still called Luftwaffe, odd that people would be turned off by the name really. I supposethey incorrectly attribute certain connotations to it. "Oster"-Easter "Mann"-Man. Easter Man jacket then!
There is already a spice company called Ostmann which is closer to East man than Easter Man. But as you said it must be as close as they can get for whatever reason.
I have just checked the Eastman website and the jacket is actually named 'Ostmann' so apologies for that little mistake. Luftwaffe mind you is correct even for the modern German airforce.
I see Dr Swatland isn't around these days or he may have come down on me with a vengeance, maybe even the HPA fella.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred