• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Your signature cocktail.

Discussion in 'The Connoisseur' started by Lady Day, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Berlin

Berlin Practically Family

I'm sure gonna try them!
    Especially when I read the word: Cream!

I'll let you know what I think of 'em! lol

2. There are many variations of those too. :D

3. Berlin

Berlin Practically Family

Well then..let's see what I can make of it lol

4. Now you are talking. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

5. Patattack

Patattack New in Town

I've come to really enjoy a Salty Dog: gin, grapefruit juice, lightly salted rim.

Its little brother, the Greyhound (swap gin for vodka, lose the salt) is very enjoyable if you feel like getting tipsy without dealing with an alcohol flavor, because it doesn't taste much different from straight grapefruit juice - but that makes it a bit boring as a "cocktail".

6. 1961MJS

1961MJS Call Me a Cab

Hi, Grasshoppers are the classic Freshman girl prom date drink. At least they were in the 1970's.

Later

7. Interesting---since they weren't supposed to be drinking adult beverages in the first place. :p

8. jmrtnko

jmrtnko Familiar Face

Martinez

There are a couple dozen cocktails in our house's nightly rotation, but the one we're most known for is probably the Martinez.

2 oz Old Tom Gin (it must be Old Tom, London Dry will not do)
    1 oz Carpano Antica Sweet Vermouth
    1/4 oz Maraschino Liqueur (we use Maraska, but Luxardo will work)
    1 1/2 dashes Orange Bitters (Fee's are nice, but Angostura is nicer)
    Lemon Twist (flamed if I feel in the mood)

Stir well, serve and enjoy. Hmm... in fact, that's a pretty good idea. I think I'll make one now.

9. If I hadn't had three Mai Tais and run out of Maraschino Liqueur then I would have tried one myself. ;)

10. While you are chasing down some Old Tom Gin for a Martinez, remember the Ramos Gin Fizz, also used Old Tom Gin too.

11. I don't normally drink cocktails, but if there is one that I would favor over others it's an old fashioned.

My favorite drink is straight scotch, no ice.

12. CopperNY

CopperNY A-List Customer

if i'm out, and want something light, i'll order a St. Germain and seltzer.

13. jmrtnko

jmrtnko Familiar Face

Agreed. A bit fussy with the egg, but a drink well, well worth it if you've got the time, and enough energy for a thorough shake. Tasty.

You also a fan of Old Tom? I'd never really liked gin until the neighborhood bartender forced a Hayman's Old Tom Gimlet upon me. It's pretty much been our spirit of choice since then. Incredibly mixable. I've tried Ransom and Jensen's, but neither of them have quite had the versatility of the Hayman's.

BTW, swap the sweet vermouth for dry in my Martinez recipe above and you basically have the original 1880's Martini. One sip and you realize why the drink became so popular. Shame it's just a shot of gin these days.

14. OneAndOnly

OneAndOnly Familiar Face

I had a Monkey Mojitio when I was in Edinburgh, basically made with Monkey Shoulder Whiskey instead of Bacardi...trying very hard to get the whiskey here in Ireland but to no avail :(

15. DesertDan

DesertDan One Too Many

Frosted Coke:

In a tall glass over ice:
    1 shot Vodka
    1 shot Kahlua
    1 shot Galliano

fill the rest of the glass with coca-cola and cream.

Enjoy!
    DD

16. 1961MJS

1961MJS Call Me a Cab

Hi James,

I was in college entrance exams for my Senior Prom, so all I have is tall tales, but from my understanding there's a lot that gets done, that's not supposed to. :eek:

Later

17. lol lol lol lol I figured as much. :D

18. TAStookey

TAStookey New in Town

I'm highly in favor of a Corpse Reviver #2. Or a Nergroni. Or a Boodles Martini. Or a 100 Reasons Rye.

19. BriarWolf

BriarWolf One of the Regulars

Martini. Bombay Sapphire, heavy on the Vermouth, three olives, shaken.

Alternatively I'm fond of a G&T or a B&S if I have to maintain a greater semblance of sobriety...

20. Gin Snapbrim

Gin Snapbrim New in Town

At home I usually have a standard gin Martini before diving into the local hootch.
    Many years ago, I gave my favorite bar downtown the recipe for a Vesper, direct pour.
    Bless their hearts. Even though I probably stop in all of twice a year these days, I don't even have to ask. They simply nod and ask, "The usual?"