Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your signature cocktail.

Patattack

New in Town
I've come to really enjoy a Salty Dog: gin, grapefruit juice, lightly salted rim.

Its little brother, the Greyhound (swap gin for vodka, lose the salt) is very enjoyable if you feel like getting tipsy without dealing with an alcohol flavor, because it doesn't taste much different from straight grapefruit juice - but that makes it a bit boring as a "cocktail".

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jamespowers said:
Grasshopper
3/4 oz green creme de menthe
3/4 oz white creme de cacao
3/4 oz light cream

Shake all ingredients with ice, strain into a cocktail glass, and serve.

They aren't all that bad. ;)

Hi, Grasshoppers are the classic Freshman girl prom date drink. At least they were in the 1970's.

Later

jmrtnko

Familiar Face
Martinez

There are a couple dozen cocktails in our house's nightly rotation, but the one we're most known for is probably the Martinez.

2 oz Old Tom Gin (it must be Old Tom, London Dry will not do)
1 oz Carpano Antica Sweet Vermouth
1/4 oz Maraschino Liqueur (we use Maraska, but Luxardo will work)
1 1/2 dashes Orange Bitters (Fee's are nice, but Angostura is nicer)
Lemon Twist (flamed if I feel in the mood)

Stir well, serve and enjoy. Hmm... in fact, that's a pretty good idea. I think I'll make one now.

jmrtnko said:
There are a couple dozen cocktails in our house's nightly rotation, but the one we're most known for is probably the Martinez.

2 oz Old Tom Gin (it must be Old Tom, London Dry will not do)
1 oz Carpano Antica Sweet Vermouth
1/4 oz Maraschino Liqueur (we use Maraska, but Luxardo will work)
1 1/2 dashes Orange Bitters (Fee's are nice, but Angostura is nicer)
Lemon Twist (flamed if I feel in the mood)

Stir well, serve and enjoy. Hmm... in fact, that's a pretty good idea. I think I'll make one now.

If I hadn't had three Mai Tais and run out of Maraschino Liqueur then I would have tried one myself. ;)

jmrtnko

Familiar Face
Absinthe_1900 said:
While you are chasing down some Old Tom Gin for a Martinez, remember the Ramos Gin Fizz, also used Old Tom Gin too.

Agreed. A bit fussy with the egg, but a drink well, well worth it if you've got the time, and enough energy for a thorough shake. Tasty.

You also a fan of Old Tom? I'd never really liked gin until the neighborhood bartender forced a Hayman's Old Tom Gimlet upon me. It's pretty much been our spirit of choice since then. Incredibly mixable. I've tried Ransom and Jensen's, but neither of them have quite had the versatility of the Hayman's.

BTW, swap the sweet vermouth for dry in my Martinez recipe above and you basically have the original 1880's Martini. One sip and you realize why the drink became so popular. Shame it's just a shot of gin these days.

DesertDan

One Too Many
Frosted Coke:

In a tall glass over ice:
1 shot Vodka
1 shot Kahlua
1 shot Galliano

fill the rest of the glass with coca-cola and cream.

Enjoy!
DD

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jamespowers said:
Interesting---since they weren't supposed to be drinking adult beverages in the first place. :p

Hi James,

I was in college entrance exams for my Senior Prom, so all I have is tall tales, but from my understanding there's a lot that gets done, that's not supposed to. :eek:

Later

BriarWolf

One of the Regulars
Martini. Bombay Sapphire, heavy on the Vermouth, three olives, shaken.

Alternatively I'm fond of a G&T or a B&S if I have to maintain a greater semblance of sobriety...

Gin Snapbrim

New in Town
At home I usually have a standard gin Martini before diving into the local hootch.
Many years ago, I gave my favorite bar downtown the recipe for a Vesper, direct pour.
Bless their hearts. Even though I probably stop in all of twice a year these days, I don't even have to ask. They simply nod and ask, "The usual?"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner