Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1920's hat research paper help

Mantis

Familiar Face
Hey folks,

I am writing a research paper on mens hats in the 1920's for my Fashion-History class. This paper is due on Monday. im searching for sources right now, but Im having trouble finding information (every website I find seems to barely touch the subject).

I am more interested in sources that explain why hats where utilitarian in the 1920's and how the automobile influenced hats. Any sources that explain why men abandoned the mid height top hat for smaller, less formal hats would also be appreciated.

here is part of my opening paragraph so you know where i am going with this ( I will revise it don't worry, this is a very rough draft):

Fashion is and always has been utilitarian first, and stylish second. While some fashion trends where not utilitarian at all, these trends were short lived. The hat has always been considered an accessory. The nature of accessories implies that they are non-essential clothing items. This may be the case for many People living in the western world today, but this was not always the case. During the 1920’s the hat was more than just an accessory for men, it was a way of coping with the climate. Many people think that the hat has gone out of style, if this is the case, then it must not be as useful to men today, as it was in the 1920's.

Thank you guys, good credible sources would be greatly appreciated!

Important to note, the hat has not always been considered an accessory. Moreover, check with any dermatologist about the functional aspects of good head covering. THAT would be pretty up to date. Good luck, and congrats on a great topic!!

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mantis, PM me on this topic, as I might be able to steer you in the right direction on this. For some reason, I 'm not able to write more than three lines, and I'd like to give you some suggestions.

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
This has post has nothing to do with this thread =).

In your profile picture, a white dress shirt and navy grenadine tie would look so much better. There isn't much contrast between your jacket and shirt. Light colored dress shirts such as white and light blue are the most flattering (on everyone). I'd avoid black shirts completely.

Example of a navy grenadine tie:

http://www.kentwang.com/ties/grenadine-navy.html

There's not a thing wrong with your avatar, Mantis. If that's your style, you've done it perfectly.

And to add to your research, you need not spend foolishly on ties.

See here!

Last edited:

theoldnorthwest

Familiar Face

In your profile picture, a white dress shirt and navy grenadine tie would look so much better. There isn't much contrast between your jacket and shirt. Light colored dress shirts such as white and light blue are the most flattering (on everyone). I'd avoid black shirts completely.

I think he is trying to do a vintage 20's type look not preparing for a job interview at Goldman Sachs, there is nothing wrong with black dress shirts.

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
I think he is trying to do a vintage 20's type look not preparing for a job interview at Goldman Sachs, there is nothing wrong with black dress shirts.

I don't mean harm to the OP, I was just providing what I thought would look "better".

I'm just a really conservative dresser and I "personally" believe that white dress shirts are the only option.

To each their own I guess.

I never knew men in the past wore black dress shirts, I thought pure white was the only option :O.

Mantis

Familiar Face

This picture is actually from a play that I did called "The Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui". I was playing a Gangster named Emanuel Giri. Unfortunately actors do not have much of a choice when it comes to costuming and set design. There are many reasons why a director/ costumer would put an actor in a black shirt instead of a white one, it may have had to do with the lighting, set design, symbolism, ect. I am also wearing a ton of makeup in this picture to make me look pale and sickly.

Mantis

Familiar Face
that is a piece of cauliflower on my suit jacket, not a boutonnière. It is a wacky play. my character killed people and stole their hats so by the end of the play i had around six hats stacked on my head. And that was actually a silk shirt, not a cotton one.

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
This picture is actually from a play that I did called "The Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui". I was playing a Gangster named Emanuel Giri. Unfortunately actors do not have much of a choice when it comes to costuming and set design. There are many reasons why a director/ costumer would put an actor in a black shirt instead of a white one, it may have had to do with the lighting, set design, symbolism, ect. I am also wearing a ton of makeup in this picture to make me look pale and sickly.

I never knew that, my apologies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot