Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1920's Living History Couple

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I remember coming across this a few months back and I thought it was neat that they started to 'live the '20s' during the '50s. Pretty cool couple. :)

Kind of puts the lie to the whole "if anybody in the past went around dressed like they lived in the past they'd be locked up" canard we occasionally hear around here. No doubt they were considered eccentric, but there's nothing wrong with that. There was actually a big resurgence of interest in the twenties during the fifties -- all those middle-aged shieks and flappers reminiscing about the good old days, so it's no surprise there were younger people who took up an interest in the period.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
But Lizzie is right. Retronauts (as I call them) have always existed, and they always will. They are a facet of human nature.

Retronaut:
From the Latin prefix retro, meaning "backwards" or "in past times", and the Greek word naut, meaning "sailor".

Last edited:

Dated Guy

Familiar Face
Yeah, I mean people didn't die from boredom back then. I knew a couple who just kept themselves entertained taking turns reading, mainly from the bible, while working on their crafts/ hobbies in the evenings.

Plenty of people now days throw out their television, don't own a computer, don't get magazines or the newspaper, and yet are perfectly content and not in the least bored.

I didn't exactly throw my tele out, but I sold it, any thing printed that is supposed to be up to date and topical is already history before anyone reads it, plus of course it is sensationalised out of all proportion usually. I own a computer but mainly use it to write stuff with, and no, I do not miss any of it one jot... I learn languages, read, write, paint, converse and generally have a solid lifestyle.... why be a mass produced clone is my motto..!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR