Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1920s Paint Colors?

Penny Dreadful

One of the Regulars
On Wednesday we move into our first house, built in 1921. I'm thinking of painting a mid-tone blue-grey, but I'm very curious to know what sorts of colors would have been popular in that era. I'd like to keep a consistency with the house and really play off the 1920s look in a timeless modern-friendly way.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
One place to ask is the Post 1900 forum on the Old House Web forum Lots of wall paper back in the day not much paint. I use to own a 1902 home with un painted woodwork is was tiger maple and was beautiful the reason I purchased the home.
Tiger-Maple.jpg

Flicka

One Too Many
I'm sure it's regional, but here a lot of wooden houses from that era are pale yellow with white trimmings. Like a lemon meringue pie! :)

Penny Dreadful

One of the Regulars
Ooh, thanks! I'm not much a fan of browns and yellows, but that Copenhagen color is pretty much exactly the same as what I had in mind!

deco_droid

New in Town
Oh, I would love to find an old stucco exterior, streamline house for sale -- that I could afford! I would probably paint some of the walls a steely blue grey. Agreed though, for an early 20s house, it was much more common and likely to have wallpaper up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo