Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1936 Apparel Arts Anniversary Issue Images

WH1

Practically Family
PICT2165.jpg

PICT2155.jpg

PICT2167.jpg

PICT2158.jpg

PICT2164.jpg

WH1

Practically Family
This is some information I recently discovered about this specific issue of Apparel Arts. Apparently this was the first major work attributed to influential graphic arts designer Paul Rand who went on to design logos for IBM, UPS, Westinghouse, ABC, and Steve Jobs’ NeXT. He was one of the originators of the Swiss Style of graphic design.

"His career began with humble assignments, starting with a part-time position creating stock images for a syndicate that supplied graphics to various newspapers and magazines.[2] Between his class assignments and his work, Rand was able to amass a fairly large portfolio, largely influenced by the German advertising style Sachplakat (object poster) as well as the works of Gustav Jensen. It was around this time that he decided to camouflage (and abbreviate) the overtly Jewish identity telegraphed by ‘Peretz Rosenbaum,’ shortening his forename to ‘Paul’ and taking ‘Rand’ from an uncle to form his new surname. Morris Wyszogrod, a friend and associate of Rand, noted that “he figured that ‘Paul Rand,’ four letters here, four letters there, would create a nice symbol. So he became Paul Rand."[1] Roy R. Behrens notes the importance of this new title: “Rand’s new persona, which served as the brand name for his many accomplishments, was the first corporate identity he created, and it may also eventually prove to be the most enduring."[1] Indeed, Rand was rapidly moving into the forefront of his profession. In his early twenties he was producing work that began to garner international acclaim, notably his designs on the covers of Direction magazine, which Rand produced for no fee in exchange for full artistic freedom.[2] Among the accolades Rand received were those of Laszlo Moholy-Nagy:

“ Among these young Americans it seems to be that Paul Rand is one of the best and most capable [. . .] He is a painter, lecturer, industrial designer, [and] advertising artist who draws his knowledge and creativeness from the resources of this country. He is an idealist and a realist, using the language of the poet and business man. He thinks in terms of need and function. He is able to analyze his problems but his fantasy is boundless.[2] ”

The reputation Rand so rapidly amassed in his prodigious twenties never dissipated; rather, it only managed to increase through the years as the designer’s influential works and writings firmly established him as the éminence grise of his profession.[3]

Although Rand was most famous for the corporate logos he created in the 1950s and 1960s, his early work in page design was the initial source of his reputation. In 1936, Rand was given the job of setting the page layout for an Apparel Arts magazine anniversary issue.[2] “His remarkable talent for transforming mundane photographs into dynamic compositions, which [. . .] gave editorial weight to the page” earned Rand a full-time job, as well as an offer to take over as art director for the Esquire-Coronet magazines. Initially, Rand refused this offer, claiming that he was not yet at the level the job required, but a year later he decided to go ahead with it, taking over responsibility for Esquire’s fashion pages at the young age of twenty-three.[4]

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
AA is really a great source for inspiration. Are there any other issues out there that didn't get scanned yet? If you own one please do! Pleeaaaase!

James_E

New in Town
Gentlemen, I was looking for info on Apparel Arts magazine and found this thread, I don’t know too much about suits but I do know that you guys are right into them, so... I thought I’d join and post some stuff you may be interested in, just because you guys seem to be so interested and I feel like sharing some stuff would be good right now.

It’s a long story but I have a magazine collection that goes back to the 1930’s and includes the Apparel Arts issue you’ve already seen in this thread, but wait... I have more, how about the Apparel Arts “Coronation” edition (spring 1937), the year before the one you’ve seen, or what about “Men’s Wear” 60th anniversary edition from Feb 1950, or “American Fabrics” issue #1 from 1946, or “The City of New York Golden Anniversary of Fashion 1898 to 1948”.

Let me know what you think, if there’s any interest I’ll start posting pictures soon, thanks, Jim.

SPSdfC.jpg

WoK4JZ.jpg

KFgPZg.jpg

XSxAbQ.jpg

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Welcome to the Lounge, James.

I'd love to see scans of all of these, actually. This is a wondeful opportunity. We have a few magazine issues here and there and some collections of illustrations, but this is really going to be something!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk