Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1939 GW Werber

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's the link to my size 44 1939 Werber which is winging its way across the Atlantic to me. It has not had the benefit of hot water treatment, but the leather still has areas of pronouced grain as the close-up pictures show.

http://www.goodwearleather.com/photos/1939_Werber_05_sz44/

John and I discussed the horsehide and the closest colour he has to horsehide from 1940 is the pigment finish horsehide.This is a very dull brown, and he says after a couple weeks of wear, the high parts get a little shine, and the creases and grain become amazing. I have an original fantail Talon zip slider/pull which I will install on the jacket when it arrives.

39Werber_A2.jpg

reverse_view1.jpg

pocket-3.jpg

Persimmon

One of the Regulars
JC and Delivies.

Andrew,
I have just sent off an email to John Chapman about making a jacket.
What is the lead time from order to delivery ?
How does the UK customs hit you re collection.
I am in the States in the summer on business and was wondering if it would be easier to collect direct or have it sent to my hotel ( and cheaper ) as the flight is on the company !!

Very cool jacket and I look forward to seeing images of you wearing it
Alan

Beacon Rusty

One of the Regulars
Of all the contracts John offers, the Werber is my favorite. I also look forward to pictures of you wearing it.

aswatland

Hi Alan,

I placed the order with John at the end of the summer, so the wait time was nearly 6 months for this jacket. You would save on postage costs if you could collect from John, but you would need to place the order now to be sure it is ready in time. When you have 15 posts I'll discuss customs with you via a pm.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
I ordered a Bronco from John this past weekend and spoke to him yesterday on the phone. He told me that the current lead time is 16 weeks.

That being said, I'm sure it will be more than worth the wait.

- Ian

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
Wow, that's a really nice jacket. I looked at some detail-shots on the site, and it looks like excellent workmanship. Congratulations on your's!

Orlan

Familiar Face
I ordered a Californian Venture in November, I wait for the jacket yet.
The delay for the jacket is long, but the final result good deserves it.

nicholasb

One of the Regulars
Orlan said:
I ordered a Californian Venture in November, I wait for the jacket yet.
The delay for the jacket is long, but the final result good deserves it.

That is something I would like to see pictures of too.

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
Ai, quality comes at a price.. for 900+ usd, I can buy a nice Aero and two or three fedoras..

Are Areo and Goodwear even in the same league? I'm not into the real accurate repro-stuff, I like a well-made jacket though..:)

rumblefish

One Too Many
Andrew,
I'll be waiting for a complete review when you get it. When I received my Doniger from John, the Werbers were still in the works. I discussed with John this contract and this shade of russet. The thing I that would have different is the color of the knits- I would have gone with a lighter, caramel shade. Would this be correct for the contract? Or an earlier one? I see from John's site there is a Waldes zip on this one. First time I've even seen a Waldes. do you have any information on its history and A-2s. Congratulations! Excellent jacket.:) Love the sewn-in throat hook.

aswatland

rumblefish said:
Andrew,
I'll be waiting for a complete review when you get it. When I received my Doniger from John, the Werbers were still in the works. I discussed with John this contract and this shade of russet. The thing I that would have different is the color of the knits- I would have gone with a lighter, caramel shade. Would this be correct for the contract? Or an earlier one? I see from John's site there is a Waldes zip on this one. First time I've even seen a Waldes. do you have any information on its history and A-2s. Congratulations! Excellent jacket.:) Love the sewn-in throat hook.

I will write a review when the jacket arrives in a few days. The 1933 Werber has caramel knits, but this contract originally had brown ones. I believe John is using the Waldes zip to avoid copy write issues with Hookless. I have an original fan tail Talon slider/puller which is almost identical to the Waldes puller and I will install it on the zip so that jacket has something from the 1930s on it!

aswatland

The 1939 Werber arrived today and I'm absolutely delighted with it. It's a great fit. I love the leather which the areas of grain and smoother areas-just like originals. The colour is very similar to my 1933 ELC Werber. The standard of John's workmanship is superb. I have customised it by adding a 1930s fan-tail Talon zip slider.

I will get some pictures taken of me wearing it in due course. :)

saucerfiend

Practically Family
Hi everyone! My name is Brian. I'm new here, but have been checking out the lounge for a while now. I'd love to see pics of this '39 Good Wear Werber being worn by its owner so I can get an idea how good John is at his sizing, as I have a Rough Wear on order with him. Please excuse me if the request seems forward.

Brian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo