Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1939 World's Fair Tapestry

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I just this moment won an item on Ebay that just blows me away. It's a 57" by 20" tapestry, made in Belgium, for the 1939 World's Fair, showing 3 of the main buildings, including the Trylon and Perisphere. I know exactly where it will hang, tho I'm not quite sure the proper way to hang it.
Check this out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250590506945

WorldsFairTapestry.jpg

mike

Call Me a Cab
AMAZING!!! How could you leave this at home? It should be proudly worn across your shoulders to show it off everywhere you go! lol

Seriously though, truly a museum piece! Congratulations!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
What I'm concerned with is horizontal rigidity. I need to find a 57" long rod or something to attach it to, and then have to hang that rod on the wall. But the backing idea is a good one. It will not be in direct sunlight, for sure.
BTW, I also just grabbed this little item today. I was the only bidder. It has the dark blue enamel on the background of the Trylon and Perisphere. My World's Fair spoon, which my great aunt gave me in 1951, originally had that same enameling, but it wore off years ago.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=150419379200&view=all&tid=0
It would TOTALLY go with that tie!

Foofoogal

Banned
the link is gone to whatever you bought. watch out now. You are beginning to get a collection going. That is how it starts you know. lol

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Well, aside from my dearly beloved spoon, I also have the guide book my mom picked up during the fair, and her original ticket book. I've posted that here before, and . . . mmm . . . Lemme look for it . . . (10 minutes later) ahh . . . here it is:
WorldsFairID.jpg

WorldsFairTix.jpg

And there's the cane - chair I picked up last week, and a nifty little paperweight, also from Ebay that set me back all of about $4.
Yes, a collection seems to be creating itself. Well, one reason is that I'm decorating my 1939 Art Deco (Streamline modern, if you wanna really get technical) apartment here in da Bronx, and I'm having TOO MUCH FUN TO STOP!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
They had incredibly bad timing, what with the war. By the second season, 1940, it was the girly shows that were keeping it afloat. In the end, they lost money, but they made a lasting impression on American culture. I think it's probably the most famous World's Fair ever.
BTW, I also have a 1933 World's Fair spoon that my mom got when she went there with her aunts.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I have it!

The tapestry was just delivered to me here at work. I can't believe what perfect condition it's in. The colors are amazingly vivid. It must have been bought, taken home, folded up and stuck in a drawer, and forgotten for 70 years. There will be pics once I figure out how to mount it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24