Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1940's England

poetman

A-List Customer
I just watched Brief Encounter (again) and was wondering what films from across the pond give you that particularly British sense of Golden Era. I tend to go back to End of the Affair, Brief Encounter, and the Gathering Storm. What films do you watch to enjoy England in the 40's?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I saw Brief Encounter in a theater recenlty, also. Just loved it. Hmmm. Yes, Mrs. Miniver, absolutely. I saw "Tight Little Island", known in the UK as "Whisky Galore", in a theater in Boston many years ago. What a delight. Likewise Noel Coward's masterpiece. "In Which We Serve".
There was a film made in Britain in the 80s about children during the Blitz, and I'm thinking it's a Graham Greene, but I'm not finding it. Maybe not a Graham Greene, but a great film. Can anyone help me on this?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Also, the wonderfully silly but poignant, "A Private Affair", with Michael Palin, about shortages and pigs and royal weddings in the immediate post war period.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
'Frieda'; 'Pool of London'; 'Once a Jolly Swagman'; 'Millions Like Us'; 'The Way Ahead'; 'Cage of Gold'; 'Hue & Cry'; 'It Always Rains on Sunday'. To be honest, the list is almost endless.
For examples of some of the fashions from British films of the period it's worth having a look in the 'Show Us Their Suits' thread. I've posted loads of film-grabs in there.

For the 1930s 'Saloon Bar', 'Cheer Boys Cheer' or 'There Aint No Justice' are good examples.

Doc Average

One of the Regulars
Passport to Pimlico. I re-watched it at the weekend for the first time in years. I'd forgotten just how witty it is. "Blimey! I'm a foreigner!"

Oh and Two Types, you may have already posted on this in the suits section, but I noticed that "That Jacket" (you know the one - as worn by Dirk Bogard and Lesley Philips) makes an appearance in it. It's worn by Paul Dupuis as The Duke of Burgundy.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Doc. I'll have to look out for that. I read recently that the Ealing Studios wardrobe dept/costumes etc (no doubt including that jacket) were all taken over by the BBC when it bought the Ealing studio complex in the 1950s. I wonder if they are still lurking somewhere?

majormajor

One Too Many
"The Lavender Hill Mob" was filmed in West London (Notting Hill) in 1951, when the bombed out areas had still to be rebuilt, and has a terrific postwar period feel. Some excellent street scenes, with old time street furniture, and 40's/50's fashions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner