Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1941 w+g m-422a

Deacon211

One Too Many
I'm sure many of you probably saw this on the Bay. I was drooling over this beautiful Willis and Geiger for awhile and when it was sold, I thought I had passed up a rare opportunity to find a vintage M-422A that would actually fit me.

Turns out that the person who had scooped it up under my nose, was my wife. She was going to wait until it showed up, but didn't want me moping about the house all weekend.

So, here she is. Restoration by Aero. Beautiful leather. Maybe a little roomy on me, but gives me room to grow, which I have since my first G-1 many years ago.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
You got a great M-422a there, but I reckon you've got an even better wife ;)

There's not too many significant others going around buying mint vintage flight jackets for their blokes!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Congratulations. Years ago I owned a W&G G-1 in size 44 that was a tad small for me, mostly sleeves too short, that I later traded for a size 46 Cooper G-1 that is a tad too big for me now. If I had it to do over again I would have kept the W&G!

thor

Call Me a Cab
Great looking M-422a (had my eye on this very same jacket)...and a truly wonderful story! Congratulations!!!

mihai

A-List Customer
Congratulations, a very nice jacket!

Was it restored recently?
Aero did not even bother to answer me when I mailed them (twice) about cuffs, lining and collar replacements.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Thanks everybody! My wife is entirely too thoughtful of me. Though I suspect that she regrets it a little since I'm sitting around the house with the jacket...and the air conditioner on. ;)

As for the restoration, I don't know when it was completed, but IIRC, the seller said that he hadn't even worn it since it had been returned.

Actually, I emailed Aero as well asking about it, but they never responded to me either. I figured that it was either that they were swamped with questions or that they didn't want to discuss work that they have done for others out of a respect for privacy and I never followed up.

It's interesting how roomy the jacket is. My current issue is 48 and is only slightly big on me. My ELC is 46 and fits great. But the Brill I got off the Bay recently is also 46 and a little constrictive in the shoulders. This W&G is cut generously even considering the size. I'd probably prefer the fit if it was a half size smaller. But I do often stress about getting a high end jacket and outgrowing it as I get older (and the gym gets farther away) so a little room is probably a nice hedge and I don't think the fit is grossly large.

It's also quite a heavy leather. About as heavy as my 1997 G&B, which is much heavier than the first G-1 I was issued and still heavier than my last G-1 (a Pharr).

Overall, I love the jacket and I must admit that it has an attraction that my repros don't. I find myself wondering who wore it originally and what their military experience was like. If, as the previous owner has said, the jacket is back from a 1941 contract, so much the better. I am a former member of VMA-211, and those two weeks on Wake Island in December of '41 hold a particularly strong place in the squadron's memory. Of course, the odds of this jacket belonging to a member of 211, or any Marine really are slim at best.

But this jacket was alive and in its prime while my old squadron's history was being made. That's quite something to think about.

Thanks again guys.

Deacon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Stand By

One Too Many
You got a great M-422a there, but I reckon you've got an even better wife ;)

There's not too many significant others going around buying mint vintage flight jackets for their blokes!

Couldn't have said it better myself. She's one heck of a keeper there, mate !
And so is the jacket. I love the fit too. A score all 'round. Fantastic.
Now go and kiss that wife of yours again. :)

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Stunning jacket! You simply can't beat the character of the leather in those old 422s. And the sleeves are plenty long, so no problem there. Gotta say, a person would be hard pressed to find a better example of WWII Navy goatskin than this old girl!

AF

Deacon211

One Too Many
Thanks guys. Truly, I can't believe that this leather is 70 years old. Both the color and the grain are a sight to see!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav