Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

30's~40's Work Boots

Doublegun

Practically Family
mike said:
Well, I started with a single leather sole which I worn through surprisingly fast. It took under a year to wind up with a hole being worn near the ball of my foot! So I sent them to Eddie's Shoe Repair near Los Angeles who put Cat's Paw soles and heels on them. So it's kind of a win-win situation :p I would definitely be interested in seeing what the double leather soles look like. As a personal preference, a lot of the White's built for a Japanese market look too tall to me [huh]

Ended up asking them to add the Vibram sole mentioned above. Thought the double leather sole would take-away from the overall dress appearance of the boots.

Whites should be done building them by early next week so I'll have them sometime the week of the 7th. The countdown begins.

tonyper

Familiar Face
Soles

I noticed a mention of soles and cobblers. My uncles were/are in the shoe repair business here in NJ. it's hard to find a good shoemaker these days. Many shops send the work out to real shoemakers and do not do the work on site.
Soles,,, If you don;t like the leather sole you can always go for rubber Cats Paw half soles, still look vintage, I my opinion half soles look about as vintage as it gets. As for show and ice,, I have a pair of workboots that I had resoled with a failry smooth wedge sole, no heel, these are for real work, (construction).. On snow or ice forget it, dangerous to say the least. If you do plan on ice or snow I would go with a sole with some lugs. Not authentic by any means but you won't break an arm either ! JMO

Tony

blethook

One of the Regulars
Paddy, I agree...

In fact I've got their WWI B5 boots on order...Unfortunately will take 4 weeks to make...

Speaking of dress boots, I think the Red Wing GT could fall under that category, as well...I was wearing mine (relatively new) the other day, and one of my colleagues commented how shiny the boots were...:) The lugs on the GT soles are not noticeable at all when you are wearing them...

PADDY said:
Have a gander at this site Gents. One of the gents on the Dress Boot thread drew my attention to this old English company in Derbyshire. Some 'very' nice offerings at decent prices (all important!!). Enjoy...!

http://www.williamlennon.co.uk/categories/town&country.html

mike

Call Me a Cab
tonyper said:
I noticed a mention of soles and cobblers. My uncles were/are in the shoe repair business here in NJ. it's hard to find a good shoemaker these days. Many shops send the work out to real shoemakers and do not do the work on site.
Soles,,, If you don;t like the leather sole you can always go for rubber Cats Paw half soles, still look vintage, I my opinion half soles look about as vintage as it gets. As for show and ice,, I have a pair of workboots that I had resoled with a failry smooth wedge sole, no heel, these are for real work, (construction).. On snow or ice forget it, dangerous to say the least. If you do plan on ice or snow I would go with a sole with some lugs. Not authentic by any means but you won't break an arm either ! JMO

Tony

Do your family members have access to Cat's Paw half soles?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Some old wards scans.

40bellashess18.jpg

33wardsfw22.jpg

33wardsfw50.jpg

33wardsfw51.jpg

tonyper

Familiar Face
Catspaw...........

Mike I am pretty sure they do. If Catspaws are readily available still. I have not used them in years. If not Catspaw there are other great half soles he can out on for you. My cousins shop is in Ridgwood NJ, a short ride from NYC, it's Quality Shoe Repair,,,,,,,,, and it is Quality old time style.

Dinerman, COOL, love those old boot ads. Great boots !!!

Tony

tonyper

Familiar Face
Catspaw

From what I understand they last forever, they also have a distinctive design. I used to like the old green dot and white dot soles myself. Ever seen them ? They last and last.

Tony

illumin8em

A-List Customer
red wing iron rangers

Anyone interested in a pair of brand new Red Wing Iron Rangers size 10.5?
Bought them while out of state, realized once home and having both laced and walking around on the carpet that they a re a half size too big.

One of the Regulars
Dinerman said:
I came across these and wasn't entirely sure what to make of them. What would be the purpose of wool/nylon felt boots?

_1256098948541.jpg

_1256098957870.jpg

You are supposed to wear them inside a pair of rubber overshoes in the wintertime. My father used to swear by them, very warm.

mike

Call Me a Cab
tonyper said:
From what I understand they last forever, they also have a distinctive design. I used to like the old green dot and white dot soles myself. Ever seen them ? They last and last.

Tony

I wouldn't say that. They degrade and wear over time like anything on earth. But Cats Paws are esoteric, iconic imagery that has its roots in the golden era and wear very well! I would like to know how to properly date them, if the white or green dots came first and when the switch over occurred.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
007 said:
You are supposed to wear them inside a pair of rubber overshoes in the wintertime. My father used to swear by them, very warm.
Ah ha! I knew someone would know. Thanks!

tonyper

Familiar Face
Dots,,

Of course you are correct Mike, not "forever" ! I don't know about the Dots, I've had both in the 70's and 80's, not recently though.

Tony

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails