Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

30's~40's Work Boots

blethook

One of the Regulars
I have both the Iron Rangers & the Beckman (not the Moc Toe, though).

I personally found the Beckman to be tougher to break in... The soles are more rigid and the leather is thicker (better quality). The sizing is the same, though.

Hope that helps

djgo-cat-go said:
...I'm just curious if anyone has these and could tell me if they're as comfy as my Red Wing Iron-rangers.. I'm saving up for a pair of new boots..
9012-1.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I came across these and wasn't entirely sure what to make of them. What would be the purpose of wool/nylon felt boots?

_1256098948541.jpg

_1256098957870.jpg

Edward

Bartender
They'd be nice if you spent a lot of time somewhere cold-but-dry in the winter too!

I've recently picked up a very nice pair of CATs, a reproduction of sorts of an early 20th century boot design. Photos soon...

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
Sorry to bring this up again, but it made me giggle... All the talk about the look of Packers and Lineman Boots, even cowboy boots - and the words fetish and feminine...being a person living in "the American West" just pairing these words is weird. Anyway, I know a lot of fellows who wear all of those style boots and I wouldn't use those words around them. Still tickles me as funny...sorry.

Inusuit

A-List Customer
What looks normal in Wyoming...

Creeping Past said:
I just say it how I see it.

Tell the fellows I meant no offence. :eek:

or Colorado might have a very different connotation in London or New York City.

In one case, function; in the other, form.

Spoken as one who wears White's Packers or Westco loggers (with that heel thing) most every day.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Of course, I should think they're great for striding across big landscapes.

It's a stylistic peculiarity from the past that's persisted, because people like it and recognise it, and because they're great boots.

Alexi

One of the Regulars
i guess this is the best place to put it

I'm looking to have the soles of my work boots (yes I work in them, surprising huh?) chippewa #25290 (still known at Hilton's in Boston as the Alexi special) replaced. What are the best aftermarket soles? I remember hearing something about "cat's paws" but all my googling says that should be a no-go

chippewa-25290-lg.jpg

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Mike, a member here, got the exact same thing done, and posted photos. Maybe in another thread? I guess he'll be along any moment..

hboogz

New in Town
BellyTank said:
Here's a couple of pairs of vintage Army boots:

These are old Danish Army Boots:

D_Boots.jpg

They are NOS but I Valet'd them, polished the sole-edges and Snosealed them.
Leather soles, with rubber heel- maybe they will get a glue-on rubber tap and toe plate.
I'm not such a fan of black boots, so the sole edge decorative treatment was an attempt to make them more
interesting looking, de-militarise them and workboot-ise them. I think it worked.
This is what they look like now. Yes, brass ferrules on the lace ends.

D_Boots2.jpg

B
T

I have to say, what you did to these boots is spectacular. Did you replace the outter sole entirely ? Amazing..

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I've just noticed the detailed work on these boots. I should've paid closer attention when you first posted. That's a fantastic job you've done there.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
No- it's just too late for congratulations now...
But seriously, Ladies and Germs...

I didn't relace anything. I just sanded the sides of the stacked leather soles, polished with fine sandpaper, then used snoseal, I think and let it dry and polished with a cloth. You need to fill the grain and cracks.

I imagine you could do this with any stacked heel and double,
even better triple sole. It moves the boot aesthetically out of the Army Boot arena and into "vintage" work boot territory.

The actual boots changed shape- because they were too big for me,
I did some "selective shrinking/shaping"- pouring boiling water over the toe and heel and almost everywhere and leaving on a heated towel rail.
Now they fit! I wouldn't recommend this with just any boots, these are very thick, sturdy, yet soft leather and can take such stupid treatment.

If not used very judiciously, such insane treatments can result in the
"shrinky-dink" effect.

B
o
o
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails