Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

30's~40's Work Boots

univibe88

One Too Many
Doublegun said:
Three weeks in my Baker Travelers and they have become my favorite shoes/boots. Extremely comfortable, virtually no break in required, had a shine last week and they look like new again.

I really like my IR's but anyone considering Red Wings, my advice is to save your money. The Bakers are worth every penny.

May we see some pictures?

jeff

One of the Regulars
I love the look of the Baker's Travelors and the Semi-Dress - yes, please do post some pics!

Hey, a question of comfort - I'm pondering getting either the Semi-Dress or some Aldens. The last few years I've been wearing Ecco shoes. Does anyone have any experience with with modern "comfy" shoes, such as Eccos or Mephisto - and how they compare to these classic boots?

univibe88

One Too Many
I've got some Ecco shoes but I don't have Alden or Whites. My guess though is that something like the White boots will be heavier. Eccos are rediculously light. However, if you take careful measurements and get some Aldens or Whites that are your exact size I bet they will be more comfortable. I also find a proper, rigid, leather sole to be much more supportive and comfortable than rubber soles. They also last longer and can be resoled.

For example, I wear a 9EEE in Allen Edmonds. Eccos don't come in widths, so I had to move up in size. So really my Eccos don't fit perfectly. I find my Allen Edmonds to be the most comfortable shoes I own.

I think most people wear shoes that are the wrong size either because they don't really know how shoes should fit or because they don't come in proper widths.

univibe88

One Too Many
Are the optional "heal loops" considered "proper" for 30s/40s? I don't really care, but I like them a lot and plan to get them when I buy some Whites. I was just curious.

Doublegun

Practically Family
You can't compare them to Ecco shoes. To me, Ecco shoes are not fish nor fowl. They are not dress shoes and they are not casual shoes. They are built for comfort, period. That being said, I feel my BT's are more comfortable than any other dress-type shoes I have. What makes them comfortable? They actually fit my feet. (Maybe I just got lucky). The arch support is perfect (for me) and the ball of my foot fits into a what feels like a pocket. Basically, the boots feel as though they were made specifically for my feet. (Again, maybe I just got lucky and their build just fits my feet).

Otherwise: I don't find them heavy or cumbersome to wear; they are warm (I doubt I'll spend a lot of time in them June - August); they polish-up easily; and the Vibram soles give me good traction in snow but I don't feel/sound clunky walking down a hall. The ONLY complaint I have is the laces which are too long and feel cheap. I'll replace them when I have a chance to visit my cobbler.

Hope this helps.

South

One of the Regulars
Can someone explain the differences in the Baker's Traveler's heel options? What does "90 degree blocked off" mean?

Do they only come in this heel?
BakersTraveler.jpg

I suppose this is a custom boot, so is it returnable to Baker if it doesn't fit or you don't like it?

Does anyone have some good pictures of their Baker's Travelers, along with an explanation of their options?

Thanks.

Doublegun

Practically Family
What you see in the picture is a 90 degree heel. These shoes are actually made by Whites and if you go to the Whites website you will see their traditional heel - which is slanted, similar to a cowboy boot.

If you go back through this thread you will see the options Baker offers. Capped toe, antique brass, black, brown eyelets, edges of the sole brown, black or natural. Sole, single leather, double leather or leather/vibram. There are not really that many options.

In terms of what your options are if they do not fit you, I suggest you call Bakers. The staff is extremely helpful and willing to answer questions. I appreciate your apprehension about spending $400 on a pair of boots without trying them on. One suggestion would be to go to a Redwing store and try on their Travelers. I found the sizing of my Iron Rangers to be pretty similar to the Bakers.

South

One of the Regulars
Doublegun said:
What you see in the picture is a 90 degree heel. These shoes are actually made by Whites and if you go to the Whites website you will see their traditional heel - which is slanted, similar to a cowboy boot.

If you go back through this thread you will see the options Baker offers. Capped toe, antique brass, black, brown eyelets, edges of the sole brown, black or natural. Sole, single leather, double leather or leather/vibram. There are not really that many options.

In terms of what your options are if they do not fit you, I suggest you call Bakers. The staff is extremely helpful and willing to answer questions. I appreciate your apprehension about spending $400 on a pair of boots without trying them on. One suggestion would be to go to a Redwing store and try on their Travelers. I found the sizing of my Iron Rangers to be pretty similar to the Bakers.

Thanks for the info. I have a pair of Gentleman's Travelers on the way, so that's good to know on the sizing.

What are the pros-and-cons of the 90 degree vs. the cowboy heel? Just looks? Is the 90 degree heel a better heel for walking? Is it shorter?

One other thing - is there some place to view the list of colors available for the boots?

Thanks again.

mike

Call Me a Cab
South said:
Thanks for the info. I have a pair of Gentleman's Travelers on the way, so that's good to know on the sizing.

What are the pros-and-cons of the 90 degree vs. the cowboy heel? Just looks? Is the 90 degree heel a better heel for walking? Is it shorter?

One other thing - is there some place to view the list of colors available for the boots?

Thanks again.

Yes! And it goes... a little something... like this:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=18087&page=2&highlight=white%27s

Doublegun

Practically Family
The standard White heel looks a little weird to me. Just not my cup of tea and I think they take away from dressiness of the boots. As for the colors, I believe the choice is black or brown and there are multiple pictures of Travelers in black and in brown in this thread.

I have the brown and I think the color is extremely versatile. They look pretty damn sharp with jeans and my Aero Long-Half belt, and they look just as good with grey or olive flannels. Heck, I wear them with a navy suit if/when the weather is bad and they don't look out of place. These are VERSATILE and COMFORTABLE boots which probably explains why I want to wear them every day.

mike

Call Me a Cab
Doublegun said:
The standard White heel looks a little weird to me. Just not my cup of tea and I think they take away from dressiness of the boots. As for the colors, I believe the choice is black or brown and there are multiple pictures of Travelers in black and in brown in this thread.

I have the brown and I think the color is extremely versatile. They look pretty damn sharp with jeans and my Aero Long-Half belt, and they look just as good with grey or olive flannels. Heck, I wear them with a navy suit if/when the weather is bad and they don't look out of place. These are VERSATILE and COMFORTABLE boots which probably explains why I want to wear them every day.

I completely agree, except I don't think they are truly a dress boot in the sense of the upcoming Allen Edmonds offerings. They are just a fully customizable, excellent boot that is fully indebted to vintage stylings like none other on the market.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn