Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

30's~40's Work Boots

blethook

One of the Regulars
Feraud said:
This is from a page of either a '35 or '45 Sears catalog regarding heel shape and function.
DSC07993.jpg

I'm starting to like the cuban heels on my semi-dress so much that when I look at my RW IR, the heels just look out of place, don't look right... So tiny :)

Doug C

Practically Family
I feel the opposite, to me the extreme angle of the cuban heel looks way out of place on vintage style work boots in general. BTW, the heels are more severe on the white's than in that 1930's catalog picture. Not to mention the feel of the extra height, not for me. With that said though, I also don't like that big 'ol 90degree heel option either, makes it look like every other modern shoe or boot from a Banana Republic, etc. My idea of a vintage work boot has a heel much more like the classic RW's or WWII combat boots, or the Cat Paws, goodyear heels. Cuban Heels reminds me of the '70s though I know that's not necessarily a good representation of it's hey day. To each his own I guess.

Cacatfish

New in Town
Ah, I love the heel on the whites!
I know it isnt as accurate vintage as some, but the look is just right to me.
More than anything it reminds me of the logging boots I used to see as a kid. Since my dad ran a sawmill, I was always around loggers, and since I was little their boots were mostly what I saw.
I also like the Redwings a lot, but cant do without the stacked leather heel.

Doublegun

Practically Family
Seems to be a few more options than there was last fall when I ordered my Travelers. Leather lining - would be nice. And British Tan - hummm.... I think I might have to try to make a little more room in my closet.

For those of you who don't own Travelers or the Semi-dress, you can't imagine just how comfortable these shoes are. I was looking for a semi-dress type boot that I could wear with a sport coat dress pants or even a suit when the weather here in the Midwest dictated something more substantial than dress shoes. While they do look more substantial than a traditional cap toed dress shoe, I do not they look inappropriate.

As for the price, $400 is not inexpensive but a pair of dress shoes of comparable quality will cost at least that much.

marineabilly

A-List Customer

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
marineabilly said:
Great boots, but look at the horrible craftsmanship on the welts. Perhaps they put them together quick in order to advertise them, but you'd think they would make it appealing.

Does anyone know what the "Sole Trim" option is?

I love my White's, but oh you kid...

Yep, pretty crude. I was also trying a little irony with the title of my earlier post. New and improved stuff always worries me, f.i. the "faster break in" to me reads thinner/cheaper leather, "roomier toebox" means "one size fits many more", as in low armholes...
More crunch in the chocolate bar means less chocolate. I don't know.

The sole trim: On my S.D.'s the sole stick out quite a bit more, the edge on the new #38 swing last retro semi-dress americana whites boots as pictured is cropped closer to the stitching.

habberdasher

A-List Customer
Mysterious Mose said:
New and improved stuff always worries me, f.i. the "faster break in" to me reads thinner/cheaper leather, "roomier toebox" means "one size fits many more", as in low armholes...
More crunch in the chocolate bar means less chocolate. I don't know.
Witty!

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
Yeah, but seriously: My White's are excellent, Baker's gives great service. I couldn't be happier about the ones I've got. I really hope they keep up their standards. Even though I don't think I ever NEED to buy another pair in this lifetime, I'm pretty sure I will.

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
Habberdasher, this link doesn't work for me. I copied the item number.
The gumsole and big eyelets give me a 1970's feel. Nice boots, though.
If I found them in my size for a fair price I'd buy 'em.

habberdasher

A-List Customer
Mysterious Mose said:
Habberdasher, this link doesn't work for me. I copied the item number.
The gumsole and big eyelets give me a 1970's feel. Nice boots, though.
If I found them in my size for a fair price I'd buy 'em.
Thanks for your help! They fit me and they look pretty vintage. I forgot you couldn't paste eBay links.....

marineabilly

A-List Customer
WHITES SEMI-DRESS

For the more 30's workboot's look, White's Semi-Dress with Single, Double or Tripple leather sole? I'm getting ready to finally order a pair with capt toes like the one pictured below, but wanted to take a poll first.

Single Leather Sole:
rise033-img600x450-121862260146vjrr4802.jpg

Double Leather Sole:
kjkjsmith928-img600x450-1236361287myj8sv46230.jpg

Double Leather Sole with Cap Toes:
CIMG2336.jpg

CIMG2374.jpg

Tripple Leather Sole:
White's2-thumb-344x295.jpg

Doug C

Practically Family
Personally I like the single, or single with a half sole (not sure white's offers a half sole option) but IMHO stay away from the triple soles at all cost :D

mattfink

Practically Family
Marineabilly - I like the single leather sole better myself. Perfect for west coast weather with no snow and ice. Either that or a half sole...I think they do a Vibram one at Bakers.

Doublegun

Practically Family
I have single leather soles with Vibram soles sewn over the leather. The primary reason for me getting the Travelers was to have a semi-dress boot/shoe to wear in the snow/rain/slush we live with in the Midwest. (The Vibram sole is more ribbed than I expected - which is good). However, if I was not worried about the weather I would have probably gone with the double leather, which I think looks very sharp.

Couple of things to consider: 1.) double leather will be considerably stiffer than single leather with a vibram sole or half-sole; and 2.) think about how you want the edge of the sole finished. If you want it natural (like in the pictures) it will look great but having it finished in dark brown or black would be another story.

I'll probably end up ordering a pair of Whites semi-dress in tan with a capped toe, double leather soles trimmed close later this spring. They are just so damn comfortable.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Sorry to disagree, but although a double leather sole is thicker, it won't necessarily be stiffer than Vibram. I've two pairs of boots with the same upper, but one's got a rubber sole and the other's got a double leather sole. The latter pair have moulded to my feet a lot better. There's a lot more given in leather than rubber over the long haul.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn