Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

30's~40's Work Boots

AEH

One of the Regulars
marineabilly said:
If you have time to spare and want a beater pair 30's looking work boots, then ShoeBuy is the way to go - don't forget about the bad customer service and slow ship time. If you want fast shipping and great customer service, Zappos is the ticket. Otherwise, don't waste your time on these "toys"

I bought my kidskin SA Madison Boots from Shoebuy a couple of years ago. I didn't experience any problems with Shoebuy, except the loooong shipping time (to Norway). The boots are a bit narrow for my 2-3E feet, but otherwise they fit an feel fine to me. My only complaint are the rubber heels which makes marks on the floor. But really, I don't expect these boots (at about 1/3 of the price of my Baker's Travellers) to perform as work boots? To me these are dress boots, and perform perfect as such. (At least when my shoemaker has replaced the rubber heels, he claims the marks comes from a certain content of carbon in the rubber).

But, as Elmore James said:

"Ahh, you cats talking about your Madison shoes

We do the thing we call the Madison blues

We do the Madison blues

We do the Madison blues

We do the Madison blues baby

Rock away your blues"

matrioshka

One of the Regulars
Oh hell, I succumbed....

I just got these Monday. Whites semi-dress, black with a black welt, Vibram 700 sole. Yeah, I wanted them blacked out :)

whites2.jpg

whites1.jpg

I've lost my mind. I never thought I'd drop that much on a pair of shoes. They are comfortable, though....

M

53Effie

A-List Customer
Nice boots

matrioshka said:
I just got these Monday. Whites semi-dress, black with a black welt, Vibram 700 sole. Yeah, I wanted them blacked out :)

whites2.jpg

whites1.jpg

I've lost my mind. I never thought I'd drop that much on a pair of shoes. They are comfortable, though....

M
I think you will like the Whites. I have a pair just like yours and I agree, very comfortable. Not too hard to break in either. I got mine at a local annual boot sale for a really good price. I felt very lucky. Enjoy them.

mh

mattfink

Practically Family
Those are the Stacy's, he just sanded the black coating off the soles and dressed them up a bit. They look killer!!!

marineabilly

A-List Customer
Ha! Yeah, they are the Stacy's from one of my previous posts. Since I rec'd them this past Friday, I've worn them like they owed me money. Like Mattfink said, I dremeled the edge paint off last night and applied brown qiwi polish along with some brown water proofing gel I got from the Pecard multi-pack. Man, as disappointing as they out of the box, I have to say that I'm beginning to really dig them.

Edit: Oh yeah, I also took nail polish and a rag to all the leather in order to remove the sheen. Like I said, it owed me money and deserved the punishment.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Well- they are THE vintage boots at a good price.
They DO look good- maybe a little cardboardy,
just a shame they didn't use more substantial/nicer leather.
And a shame that a better made vintage-repro '20s style
example is not available (at least not at a sharp price).

B
T

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
That sounds good, then-
It's just that I'm aware of "the cardboardy", having had repro
service shoes crafted from the poor, grainless leather that wrinkles up
as if they are made of cardboard.

We have heard time and time again, that the SA Madisons not the best quality,
or best lasting of footwear but if they have a reasonable life, they're worth it,
just for the aesthetic, as they really do look the part.
A little creative customization always helps, if only just to personalize.

Quite a turn-around from that scathing report;)
Nicely done.

B
T

Doug C

Practically Family
Hey Martineabilly.. I've said it here before but I personally think the SA madison's are a little under-rated. I originally based that statement on a pair of vintage ones that I owned. The leather didn't seem all that bad to me then.. I suppose the more recent ones could use a poorer quality leather. I sold those because they were much narrower than a modern size D, do you find these to be narrow(er) than what you normally take? I've been thinking about getting more (maybe the brown this time) and was thinking about getting them in EE or something. Also, how did you go about removeing the black edgeing paint from the top of the welt where the white stitching is? Those boots look great BTW. I've searched these at Zappos several times in the past and am trying to rememeber if they even offer the reg. leather (non-Kid) ones ?

Doug C

habberdasher

A-List Customer
Sefton said:
while looking at Japanese flight jacket collectors pictures I followed a link that said "Boots" and found myself looking at the very 30's~40's style boots that I've been wanting. They are made by a U.S. company called "Whites boots". here they are:
whitesboots1qt.jpg

whitesbootsside8zm.jpg

It seems that you can't order online so I am awaiting the arrival of a catalog. The boots cost over $300 but look to be worth it. All leather and no modern features at all.
Where'd you get those?

Artie

Suspended
Probably those Stacy Adams that were talked about earlier in this thread. They look great, I know that there were some concerns about quality but those go for a little over a hundred dollars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters