Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

30's~40's Work Boots

marineabilly

A-List Customer
Yeah, I'm partial to the single sole. I have a bunch of engineers and an original pair of 40's workwear boots with Cat's Paw half-soles - I think I want to go full leather soles on this one.

Thanks for all the input so far. I'm definitely going to stay away from tripple leather soles.

blethook

One of the Regulars
I must avoid this thread at all cost!

lol

So many nice boots... I feel like I want to get myself a new pair of boots now...As if I didn't have enough already...

On my "want list":

• Gokey Upland boots,
  • Red Wing 916X (combo of GT & IR) but appears to be for Japanese market only,
  • Taller Whites boots (maybe the packer or Farmer-Rancher boots),
etc.

(the list goes on...)

Doug C

Practically Family
Doublegun said:
The primary reason for me getting the Travelers was to have a semi-dress boot/shoe to wear in the snow/rain/slush we live with in the Midwest.

Just a mini-rant here, if I can... I don't know how many times lately that I've read the word "Travelers" in these boot conversations and thought to myself... "are we talking Red Wings "Gentleman" Travelers or the White's/Baker's collab?" I wish they could have named the new Whites something else, was much easier when we used to just talk about semi-dress or SD's. Maybe it was a case of Baker's wanting to get folks attention who may be using the search feature on their site [huh] . Sorry to carry on about it.

Doublegun

Practically Family
Doug C said:
Just a mini-rant here, if I can... I don't know how many times lately that I've read the word "Travelers" in these boot conversations and thought to myself... "are we talking Red Wings "Gentleman" Travelers or the White's/Baker's collab?" I wish they could have named the new Whites something else, was much easier when we used to just talk about semi-dress or SD's. Maybe it was a case of Baker's wanting to get folks attention who may be using the search feature on their site [huh] . Sorry to carry on about it.

Sorry to cause angst: I was referring to my Baker/White Travelers.

Cheers!

Doug C

Practically Family
Doublegun said:
Sorry to cause angst: I was referring to my Baker/White Travelers.Cheers!

No, don't be.. not your fault, I'd probably not be specifying either if I had a pair. Just sayin' they coulda' used a more convenient name.

Doug C

Practically Family
habberdasher said:
Any opinions on these? 250568100121 on eBay

Wow, I like vintage boots as much as the next guy, but those look terrible IMHO. Clown shoes comes to mind, not trying to be rude, sorry. That probably has to do with the big spiral colored shoe strings. May not be as bad if they had new laces and a leather half sole (they look too flat as is). JMHO. I'll write something positive soon in one of these threads guys I promise ;)

habberdasher

A-List Customer
Doug C said:
Wow, I like vintage boots as much as the next guy, but those look terrible IMHO. Clown shoes comes to mind, not trying to be rude, sorry. That probably has to do with the big spiral colored shoe strings. May not be as bad if they had new laces and a leather half sole (they look too flat as is). JMHO. I'll write something positive soon in one of these threads guys I promise ;)
They do look pretty ridiculous!

andy b.

One of the Regulars
Whenever I join a new forum, my hardest decision is where to jump in. In this case, I have a Red Wing Iron Ranger question, so I figure this is as good a place as any. :)
I was looking at a pair of IRs, and was wondering how well the sole will hold up on them. Most of my footwear either has some sort of rubber sole (such as athletic shoes), or more substantial Vibram soles. I also own some footwear with leather soles. The IR sole is listed as "neoprene cork". Is this going to hold up to walking around in your average northeastern Pennsylvania winter weather? How difficult is it to resole these shoes when the time comes, or are the IRs considered disposable (as with most things in society today)? The IRs wouldn't be my most expensive pair of footwear, but I'd like to think they should last quite some time and at least be able to have new soles put on.

Thanks for any feedback, and I just wanted to say this forum is a wealth of information. Hopefully some day I'll be able to contribute some useful info.

andy b.

Doublegun

Practically Family
Andy b. said:
Whenever I join a new forum, my hardest decision is where to jump in. In this case, I have a Red Wing Iron Ranger question, so I figure this is as good a place as any. :)
I was looking at a pair of IRs, and was wondering how well the sole will hold up on them. Most of my footwear either has some sort of rubber sole (such as athletic shoes), or more substantial Vikram soles. I also own some footwear with leather soles. The IR sole is listed as "neoprene cork". Is this going to hold up to walking around in your average northeastern Pennsylvania winter weather? How difficult is it to resole these shoes when the time comes, or are the IRs considered disposable (as with most things in society today)? The IRs wouldn't be my most expensive pair of footwear, but I'd like to think they should last quite some time and at least be able to have new soles put on.

Thanks for any feedback, and I just wanted to say this forum is a wealth of information. Hopefully some day I'll be able to contribute some useful info.

andy b.

Andy,

First of all, welcome. Been here a little over a year and I swear this place is going to be the ruination of me.

I bought a pair of IR's last summer and the sole is very comfortable. I have no doubt will last a long time. I wear them to walk my dogs 3-miles/night and by fall they were just starting to show wear. HOWEVER, the first snow I knew an adjustment had to be made. It does not matter if there is a dusting of snow or several inches, they have little (ZERO) traction. There are countless times I have almost fallen on my azz as my feet will just not stay under me in those boots. Last month I tool them to a cobbler to discuss options, which were: replace the sole with a new Vikram which was not inexpensive. In addition to the cost there was the feel the boots would have on dry surfaces when the weather turns warm again. The stock soles are very smooth and very soft an deliver no stress to my back. That would not be the case with the Vikram's. The second option was to have half soles glued on. These soles have small geometric patterns that are virtually imperceptible on dry pavement but give me a reasonable amount of traction on snow at a cost of $35.

If you are looking for boots to wear primarily in the winter I suggest you look else where. There is no insulation and as discussed above, the soles will give you no traction. However, if you are looking for a relatively time-less looking utility boot that can be tweaked for winter walking these are a good choice.

Hope this helps.

andy b.

One of the Regulars
Dg,

Actually, that helps a lot! These shoes wouldn't be for hiking around in slush, just walking from my car into work across a rather lengthy parking lot. I'm guessing the weather would be somewhat similar to what you'd encounter in Michigan. I'm glad you mentioned the fact the soles seem soft to walk in as I would be doing some walking around at work and that was another question in the back of my mind. I have to stop by the shop tomorrow and I'm pretty certain I will be picking a pair of the Iron Rangers up. If I do I'll have to post a photo of them alongside some of my other footwear (no crazy vintage clown shoes or $1000 buttoning boots :) ).

andy b.

Mav

A-List Customer
I fake it with a pair of beat to hell Doc Marten big ugly brown laceups on weekends, camping etc.. I'd love to get a pair of big ugly brown Brit wingtip boots, but the 350+ pounds sterling pricetag is out of line right now.

Oh, and if you couldn't tell, I prefer wrapping my feet in ugly brown footware, the blunter the toe, the better. Big, brown and ugly. Yup.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Mav said:
I fake it with a pair of beat to hell Doc Marten big ugly brown laceups on weekends, camping etc.. I'd love to get a pair of big ugly brown Brit wingtip boots, but the 350+ pounds sterling pricetag is out of line right now.

Oh, and if you couldn't tell, I prefer wrapping my feet in ugly brown footware, the blunter the toe, the better. Big, brown and ugly. Yup.

How about Brit boots for £124 or thereabouts?

marineabilly

A-List Customer
STACY ADAMS MADISON (REVIEW)

Okay, so I'm ording a pair of Whites Semi-Dress and during the 4-5 week interim, I ordered a pair of Stacy Adams Madison in Black (Not "Black Kid leather"). The blacks aren't as shiny as the "Kid Leather."

First, my ShoeBuy rant:
Against my better judgement, I ordered through ShoeBuy and not Zappos because they accepted coupon codes and because Zappos doesn't have plain black. I used a code that took 20% off. I ended up paying about $85.00 (not a bad deal). ShoeBuy offered free shipping and no tax, so I thought "these are going to be 'beaters,' so why not?" Zappos offeres free shipping and no tax as well. Well, after a two-day delay in processing my order while customer service attempted to contact me for no apparent reason, I recieved my shoes after about a week and a half. Zappos would've had it to me in no more than two days, tops - I know that for a fact. My wife recieved a Zappos order via regular shipping the very next day and has an average of about two to three days with other footwear orders.

Now on to the shoes:
Nice box and well packaged. They immediately felt cheap out of the box. They are very light and the leather is made of what feels to be the cheapest thing on soles and heels. They felt fragile. A lot of reviews I've read on both Zappos and ShoeBuy said these boots are either 1/2 or a full size too big. I normally wear a size 8 and took a chance on an 8. With dress socks, they are about a half size too big. A size 7 1/2 would have been perfect, but I've decided to keep them since the whole ordering process has been substandard - I can't imagine what the return process would be like. The upper eye hooks look and feel cheaply made. Cheap eye hooks on cheap leather just doesn't mix. There are four upper hooks and when laced, they all touch. It would've been perfect with just two upper hooks. Surprisingly the leather soles aren't slippery. I've been exagerating my bends and crouches to establish the creases and was a little worried that I'd rip them or the uppers would seperate from the heels. So far so good. :eusa_doh:

Well, I've had them on for less than an hour and they only thing these are good for is holding me over 'til my White's get here. I'm going to put them through the ringer :rage: this weekend and will post before and after pics.

If you have time to spare and want a beater pair 30's looking work boots, then ShoeBuy is the way to go - don't forget about the bad customer service and slow ship time. If you want fast shipping and great customer service, Zappos is the ticket. Otherwise, don't waste your time on these "toys"

cookie

I'll Lock Up
marineabilly said:
Okay, so I'm ording a pair of Whites Semi-Dress and during the 4-5 week interim, I ordered a pair of Stacy Adams Madison in Black (Not "Black Kid leather"). The blacks aren't as shiny as the "Kid Leather."

First, my ShoeBuy rant:
Against my better judgement, I ordered through ShoeBuy and not Zappos because they accepted coupon codes and because Zappos doesn't have plain black. I used a code that took 20% off. I ended up paying about $85.00 (not a bad deal). ShoeBuy offered free shipping and no tax, so I thought "these are going to be 'beaters,' so why not?" Zappos offeres free shipping and no tax as well. Well, after a two-day delay in processing my order while customer service attempted to contact me for no apparent reason, I recieved my shoes after about a week and a half. Zappos would've had it to me in no more than two days, tops - I know that for a fact. My wife recieved a Zappos order via regular shipping the very next day and has an average of about two to three days with other footwear orders.

Now on to the shoes:
Nice box and well packaged. They immediately felt cheap out of the box. They are very light and the leather is made of what feels to be the cheapest thing on soles and heels. They felt fragile. A lot of reviews I've read on both Zappos and ShoeBuy said these boots are either 1/2 or a full size too big. I normally wear a size 8 and took a chance on an 8. With dress socks, they are about a half size too big. A size 7 1/2 would have been perfect, but I've decided to keep them since the whole ordering process has been substandard - I can't imagine what the return process would be like. The upper eye hooks look and feel cheaply made. Cheap eye hooks on cheap leather just doesn't mix. There are four upper hooks and when laced, they all touch. It would've been perfect with just two upper hooks. Surprisingly the leather soles aren't slippery. I've been exagerating my bends and crouches to establish the creases and was a little worried that I'd rip them or the uppers would seperate from the heels. So far so good. :eusa_doh:

Well, I've had them on for less than an hour and they only thing these are good for is holding me over 'til my White's get here. I'm going to put them through the ringer :rage: this weekend and will post before and after pics.

If you have time to spare and want a beater pair 30's looking work boots, then ShoeBuy is the way to go - don't forget about the bad customer service and slow ship time. If you want fast shipping and great customer service, Zappos is the ticket. Otherwise, don't waste your time on these "toys"

To think Stacey used to be a great shoe and still bring dough on eBay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn