Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

30's~40's Work Boots

Speedster

Practically Family
PADDY, get them quick. They are very nice boots, those Red Wing Roundtoe boots. And £ 99.- is cheap.

This is my message from 2 October, 2006:

Speedster said:
Just received a pair of Red Wing 1908 Moctoe yesterday from Germany (www.volls.de). A little expensive at EUR 269,- but was too slow pushing the purchase button when i had the chance to get them from England at GBP 140,-. The size 8 dissapeared in front of me and now they only have size 12 left

1908-z1.jpg

Very nice boots indeed, but still have then Aldens on my must have list.

Speedster

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
'Speedster' - you reckon they're worth just grabbing?

I thought as soon as I saw them that they were a good deal. But I'm just trying to convince myself ..."What am I going to wear them with?[huh] "

Could I get away with wearing them (those 1911's) with suit? Or...are they really a more casual slacks, A-2 and Gatsby Cap kind of boot?

I'm just trying to convince myself that 'I need them!![huh] ' As my folks used to say: "It's not a bargain unless you need it!!"

Uffffffff!!!!! "Decisions-Decisions!" They are just so nice and strangely enough I saw a pair of the 1905's (I think that was it) in my local city the other day at a lot 'more' than that!!

HELP guys!![huh]

Speedster

Practically Family
PADDY you can wear them with a county tweed suit or think "Road to Perdition". They are better suited for that than my moctoes and they are also perfect with khakis or jeans and A-2/A-1 and flat cap. Also good with army shorts. I think they have both a civilian and a military look to them. Buy them and you will find out that these are the boots that you have always needed ;)

I want a pair of those but cannot afford them at the moment.:mad:

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks for the feedback and PM Speedster on this.

Really appreciate the feedback on these Red Wings. Does help me make a more informed decision on them now :)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Road to Perdition look boot.

sullivan09.jpg

ea6186ac.jpg

Speedster said:
PADDY you can wear them with a county tweed suit or think "Road to Perdition". They are better suited for that than my moctoes and they are also perfect with khakis or jeans and A-2/A-1 and flat cap. Also good with army shorts. I think they have both a civilian and a military look to them. Buy them and you will find out that these are the boots that you have always needed ;)

I want a pair of those but cannot afford them at the moment.:mad:

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Wow, Paddy, I've been looking for a pair of boots just like that, but haven't ben able to find them. Thanks for the the post!

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Gentlemen, I have a pair of the RedWing model 1911 for sale. I wore them once in Japan,which is where I bought them. Unfortunately they are a bit too small and I found out soon that wearing them wasn't going to work out.
I listed them once on that auction site but they didn't sell. They are in perfect shape and clean. PM me if any of you might be interested. They are a size 8 1/2 D. (sorry to put this here and not in the classifieds-since it came up here I thought I'd let you know about it here).
rw1911afd9.jpg

Whatsoldisnew

New in Town
Ask and you shall receive

This thread is what introduced me to the forum so I'm happy to contribute the following after contacting Red Wing:

In October 2007 we will begin distributing the following international styles in the USA.

Image Style # Collection Description Color Sizes MSRP

8138 Classic Lifestyle 6" Boot Briar Oil Slick D 7-12,13; E2 8-12,13 $200.00

8173 Classic Lifestyle 6" Boot Abilene Roughout D 7-12,13; E2 8-12,13 $200.00

1907 Classic Lifestyle 6" Boot Copper Rough & Tough D 7-12,13 $210.00

9003 Lumberjack 6" Boot Briar Oil Slick w/ Woolrich Fabric D 7-12,13 $210.00

9004 Lumberjack 6" Boot Abseil w/ Woolrich Fabric D 7-12,13 $210.00

2916 Chelsea 6" Boot Copper Rough & Tough D 7-12,13; E2 8-12,13 $220.00

2917 Chelsea 6" Boot Briar Oil Slick D 7-12,13; E2 8-12,13 $220.00

2971 Engineer 11" Boot Copper Rough & Tough D 4-12,13 $230.00

2970 Engineer 11" Boot Briar Oil Slick D 4-12,13 $230.00

9014 Gentleman Traveler 6" Boot Black D 7-12 $230.00

9011 Gentleman Traveler 6" Boot Black Cherry D 7-12 $230.00

Cheers!
Scott

Cheradenine

New in Town
Red Wing 1911 100 year anniversary boots...

Sefton said:
"Are you also selling a pair of 1911 on ebay, size 8 1/2?"
-wrote SGB.

Yes, sadly I am. I bought those intending to keep them,but I should have gotten a larger size. My only excuse(s) are that I was still jet lagged and I tried them on early in the morning before I'd been on my feet all day. After wearing them for a day it was all too painfully obvious that I'd picked the wrong size. Too late to return them by then.:( I'm hoping to sell them (at a loss) and take the cash and get another pair. I might go for the 100 year anniversary model instead. I like the smooth leather sole more than the lug sole. The 1911 is a great looking and well made boot though.

Sefton,

I have a few questions about these 1911's, if you don't mind.

Do they fit as one would expect them to? I ask becasue it seems that you thought the 8.5's would work, but they didn't apparently. In your opinion, would you say the Red Wing's fit a size or a half-size small?

I had not previously heard of the 100 year anniversary version with the smooth sole. This, to me would approximate something much more original. I have seen nothing about these on any site that I have so far visited (mostly Japanese). Would you happen to have any links, store names, or any kind of contact information about where I might begin my search for said boots? Are they priced the same as the lug-sole versions? I live in Seattle, so I wouldn't be able to actually go to Japan to get these. I'd have to try to contact a seller directly and discuss options :|

Lastly, would you be willing to state the price you paid for them?

Oh,...How do you like them?

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Today I saw a pair of reproduction "old-new stock" ankle boots much like the ones below.
hightopshoe.jpg

They fit and were only $40 but the soles were extremely stiff and would not bend. Turned them over and they had nearly invisible cracks in the soles running from side to side. :eek:
Are soles of these type of boots usually so stiff that they crack? I wouldn't think so but what do I know. [huh]

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Somehow I completely missed that the thread that I started had become active again..! I didn't know that Red Wing was offering the 1911 model here (now called the 9011). I just sold the pair that I bought in Japan...to a fellow in Japan. Full circle.

Cheradenine, If it's not too late and you haven't bought a pair already I'd say that they are about a half size bigger than marked. The 100 year anniversary model is/was priced the same but is just about impossible to find. I've looked at Japananese sites and it rarely turns up,and when it does it's always in very small sizes. I paid about $300 for the 1911 model.

thunderw21, I'm no expert either but I'd say that they shouldn't crack. definately a construction flaw in the soles. I hope you were able to get your money back.

Jerekson, Good find. Those are nice looking boots.

pablocham

One of the Regulars
Picked up three pair of unworn surplus military boots from the early seventies at the mormon thrift store. All in my size of 9E; they were $2 per pair.

photo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR