Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

30's~40's Work Boots

Griemersma

One of the Regulars
I too e-mailed Red Wing about the "Gentleman Traveler" range from their international collection. The response pointed me to an online shoe retailer that didn't carry any of them. So far the only the place I have seen them offered is on Asian repro specialty/collector sites. (It is perhaps a bit off topic, but I am fascinated by this phenomenon and would like to know more about it. It seems that collectors are willing to pay top dollar for extremely accurate (often made on the original equipment) reproductions of the same type of vintage clothes that we are after here in the west). Anyhow, I understand the above, but it still seems odd that a company would direct someone to order a domestic product from a retailer that had imported it into another country-- it seems like such a waste of shipping energy.

As for the captoe Chippewas, I looked just about everywhere online for those as well. The only ones I found with the flatter soles were the plain toe versions labeled the "Freedom Eagle." They can still be found at the sportsmansguide.com website, but only in very limited sizes. The price is right though, if you can fit into them. I think maybe they were a special shoe made only for outfitter catalogs, perhaps?

Les Gillis

One of the Regulars
EUR To USD Conversion

If XE.Com is correct to order the Red Wing 1909 from Europe and have them shipped to the US it would cost $377 USD. If Red Wing actually marketed them in the US I wonder how much they would cost here?

Blackgrass

One of the Regulars
pablocham said:
Blackgrass, I ordered a pair of White's Semidress a week or two before christmas and they arrived yesterday.

I love them.

Congrats! I love to see some photos once you get some wear on them. How about the fit? Do they tend to run close to your normal shoe size?

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Today I'll be picking up these Red Wing boots in Tokyo. They are new for 2007 and seem to be only available in Japan and possibly Europe. They are reproductions of the year 1905 model. They cost a small fortune,but I've been trying to find the right pair of "vintage" boots for some time. Also from what I've read you can't go wrong with Red Wing quality (and believe me, for what I'm about to spend I expect quality!:eek: ) I'll post some pictures after I get back to the states. This picture is from a Japanese seller:
shoeplanet193624477790vo9.jpg

Style No. 1913 "Beckman". Tan Horween Chromexal Leather. Leather and Lug sole. Goodyear welt.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
Mike K. said:
I think the military cap-toe boots (GI service shoes) are about as authentic as they get. Unfortunately, I have only come across websites whose boots are made on an E last. Can't they make 'em in regular?

Another option for you is Chippewa boots. They date back to the early 1900s if I recall. Their 6" work boots are just the ticket and you can get them with or without the cap toe. Check sportsmansguide.com or L.L. Bean. Here's what mine look like.... Also, I don't know the authenticity of the speed hook lacing, but any good cobbler can easily install eyelets.

68277m3_ts.jpg

I have a pair of those for sale right now on ebay. I'll post a link in classifieds. They have been polished several times and have lost the modern waxy finish....look great.

Can you still get them? I thought they stopped making them a few years ago.

I've often wondered when speed lace lugs came in. I saw a picture by Van Gogh a while back which seems to show them.

Aubrgene

New in Town
I just bought a pair of the 1905 "Centennial" here in L.A. The retail price is 299 USD + sales tax. The quality is amazing. I'm planning on wearing them this weekend.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I have had At The Front's Type II service shoes (aka garrison shoes, $109.99) for a couple of weeks now and am pleased with their fit and workmanship. I take a 10 1/2D or 11D, but find the 10E (marked 10D!) fits very comfortably - not sloppily - with a cushion insole. The bulb toe has good room inside, important when walking.

Haven't put a lot of outdoor mileage on them yet - waiting for the chance to mink oil them and put on a polish.*

Only defects I note so far:
-there's a slight creak in one sole, I think because the rubber outsoles are nailed at certain points (and should be).
-the WW2 issue nylon laces advertised for $1 a pair are too short to reach all 9 eyelets and still tie up. The shoes come with flat cotton laces of a proper length.

*The Army issued a compound called dubbing for waterproofing. Shoe repairs don't sell anything called dubbing today. An 1881 article on leather tanning says that "The grease called dubbing is composed of equal parts of cod-liver oil and melted tallow." Tallow is the highly rendered animal fat in soap. I don't see why mink oil wouldn't work as well, or maybe better.

SGB

One of the Regulars
Sefton said:
Today I'll be picking up these Red Wing boots in Tokyo. They are new for 2007 and seem to be only available in Japan and possibly Europe. They are reproductions of the year 1905 model. They cost a small fortune,but I've been trying to find the right pair of "vintage" boots for some time. Also from what I've read you can't go wrong with Red Wing quality (and believe me, for what I'm about to spend I expect quality!:eek: ) I'll post some pictures after I get back to the states. This picture is from a Japanese seller:
shoeplanet193624477790vo9.jpg

Style No. 1913 "Beckman". Tan Horween Chromexal Leather. Leather and Lug sole. Goodyear welt.

Are you also selling a pair of 1911 on ebay, size 8 1/2?

SGB

Paratrooper

Familiar Face
Trotsky said:
I have had lots and lots of boot experience lately:

At The Front Service Shoes and Para Boots:

Made in China but these are excellent boots, They broke in quickly, only problem is the right one on both pairs has developed a squeak, any suggestions to getting it out?

Huh I have the same problem, I just live with it. Oh by the way watch the eyelets I had one break but the local cobbler put a new one in.
If you have a big problem with the squeak and you kept the paperwork At the Front is REALLY good about returns for the same item if it still "new", alot of the the guy that I know that reenact say that it is a real good group to deal with.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
"Are you also selling a pair of 1911 on ebay, size 8 1/2?"
-wrote SGB.

Yes, sadly I am. I bought those intending to keep them,but I should have gotten a larger size. My only excuse(s) are that I was still jet lagged and I tried them on early in the morning before I'd been on my feet all day. After wearing them for a day it was all too painfully obvious that I'd picked the wrong size. Too late to return them by then.:( I'm hoping to sell them (at a loss) and take the cash and get another pair. I might go for the 100 year anniversary model instead. I like the smooth leather sole more than the lug sole. The 1911 is a great looking and well made boot though.

Kodiak

A-List Customer
What about harness boots?

I've worn lots of pairs of lace up boots, and whether they are more vintage or not, I've never really found them overly comfortable. I've been thinking about getting a pair of harness boots.

Any ideas about those?

SGB

One of the Regulars
Sefton said:
"Are you also selling a pair of 1911 on ebay, size 8 1/2?"
-wrote SGB.

Yes, sadly I am. I bought those intending to keep them,but I should have gotten a larger size. My only excuse(s) are that I was still jet lagged and I tried them on early in the morning before I'd been on my feet all day. After wearing them for a day it was all too painfully obvious that I'd picked the wrong size. Too late to return them by then.:( I'm hoping to sell them (at a loss) and take the cash and get another pair. I might go for the 100 year anniversary model instead. I like the smooth leather sole more than the lug sole. The 1911 is a great looking and well made boot though.

I'm watching your auction, perhaps we can work something out if they don't meet reserve.

SGB

Dan G

One of the Regulars
whites!

Those of you that bought whites recently, do you like them? They're very popular in north Idaho, and a finer logging boot you'll not find! I also have a pair of Danners that I logged in for a long time that I really like. A little sweat, some water, mud and don't forget bar oil dripping off the saw, and they'll be broke in in no time! Good Luck!

SGB

One of the Regulars
Dan G said:
Those of you that bought whites recently, do you like them? They're very popular in north Idaho, and a finer logging boot you'll not find! I also have a pair of Danners that I logged in for a long time that I really like. A little sweat, some water, mud and don't forget bar oil dripping off the saw, and they'll be broke in in no time! Good Luck!

I have had my Whites Packers for over 20 years, unfortunatly my shoe size has increased by 1/2 size as I get older and they don't fit as good as they once did. I can wear them for a short time, looks like I need to get another pair. I outgrew them, did not wear them out. :)

SGB

Dan G

One of the Regulars
Ouch, I feel for you, there is nothing more uncomfortable than boots that are too small. My Danners are a little bit too big, so in the summer I used to get pretty bad blisters. Then I got daily "loggers tip"[bad] , turn your regular cotten socks inside out and wear another pair the right way over top of them. Abrakadabra! No more blisters!lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner