Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

30's~40's Work Boots

Salv

One Too Many
Fletch said:
*The Army issued a compound called dubbing for waterproofing. Shoe repairs don't sell anything called dubbing today. An 1881 article on leather tanning says that "The grease called dubbing is composed of equal parts of cod-liver oil and melted tallow." Tallow is the highly rendered animal fat in soap. I don't see why mink oil wouldn't work as well, or maybe better.

You can find dubbin (no 'g') in camping shops all over the UK, and I've just found a US company that still makes it - Pappy's Dubbin

Rooster

Practically Family
You guys need to go to your Farm & Fleet store if you have one in your area. They sell just what you're looking for for $65. I'll take mine off and snap a picture for you...... OK, here you are. These are probably 3 or 4 years old and worn practically every day. I like the non lugged soles, all the lugged vibram styled soles do for me is drag in huge clods of mud, which gets me in BIG trouble around here. Please excuse the chicken shitzen, it's fairly common around here.
boots1.jpg
[/IMG]
boots2.jpg
[/IMG]
boots3.jpg
[/IMG]

cheaterome

One of the Regulars
Rooster said:
You guys need to go to your Farm & Fleet store if you have one in your area. They sell just what you're looking for for $65. I'll take mine off and snap a picture for you...... OK, here you are. These are probably 3 or 4 years old and worn practically every day. I like the non lugged soles, all the lugged vibram styled soles do for me is drag in huge clods of mud, which gets me in BIG trouble around here. Please excuse the chicken shitzen, it's fairly common around here.
boots1.jpg
[/IMG]
boots2.jpg
[/IMG]
boots3.jpg
[/IMG]

Damn skippy .
I have been buying these for years , Made by Weintraub IN THE USA. They have replaceable soles and are made EXACTLY the same way they were in the 1940's.
About 4 years ago they started putting that padding in the ankle I don't care for it but my jeans cover it up.
No pretentious-ness, not gawd awful crazy price tag attached because they are marketed "EXCLUSIVE".
Rather than going to my cobbler to have em re-done, I just buy a new pair every year.
When all is taken into consideration, these are the best boots on the market .With their soles they actually look more vintage than the 1911's and the color matches most russet a-2's when new.

Or you could go to Japan ....buy them and have your culture sold back to you for 4 or 5 times as much.

Just a thought,

Jerome

Rooster

Practically Family
I've been buying those boots since about 1984. I've probably had five pair of them over the years. They last much longer now that I don't have what is considered to be a "real" job.;) Just standing at a work bench all day isn't real hard on shoes.[huh]

sunflo9968

New in Town
Is there anyway to buy those boots on the web? If so could you give me the website? Thanks. Those are the type of boots i'm looking for.

Rooster

Practically Family
sunflo9968 said:
The boots i'm asking about are the "farm&fleet" weintraub boots. Sorry if i wasn't clear.
I couldn't find a way to order them on the web either. I have an F&F about 5 minutes from the house, I'm there about every two weeks buying chicken feed. I could pick up a pair for you if you'd like. Send me a PM and we'll work out the details.

sunflo9968

New in Town
Thanks Rooster! I have to wait to get my "work boot allowance" from my
employer. For some reason i'm restricted in sending pm's. We can get that worked out. Thanks again for the offer.

LeeB

Familiar Face
30's ~ 40's Work Boots

You can't go wrong with Red Wings. I have had pair of the 899 8" Sport Boot (discontinued) for about 6 years now and they are the best boots I've ever owned. At first, I balked at the $250.00 price tag, but once I started wearing them, you couldn't pry them off me with a crowbar. They are a heavy, uninsulated leather. I wear them for all my camping/fishing/hiking, etc. and they're great. I just wore them to Northern Michigan a couple weekends past and wore them with extra heavy wool socks to hike about 7 miles in sometimes ankle deep snow. My feet were warm and the boots feel like you're wearing mocassins rather than boots.
My second to these is an old pair of LL Bean light duty work boots (again, discontinued) similar to their Engineer boots, with a mock toe in place of the cap toe. Like the Red Wings, they are uninsulated and very comfortable. I wear these for whatever I'm not wearing the 899's for.
I hit them both alternately with leather protectant and boot oil to keep the leather in good shape and to repel water.

LeeB

Familiar Face
30's ~ 40's Work Boots

Unfortunately, Red Wing produces a number of old style work boots that FL members would like, but they're all in the European-Asian market. There are a couple of styles made for the US market but it's a small number compared to the other.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Looks like the 1911 Gentleman Traveler boot.

Smart Casual
Gentleman Traveler

(Quote the marketing lit): The Red Wing 1911 Gentleman Traveler series harkens back to a time when travel didn’t include frequent flyer miles. Travel was difficult and often wrought with adversity but gentlemen still needed to look smart and sophisticated along the way. Their shoes needed to navigate crushed gravel streets and then be polished and ready to impress.

The Gentleman Traveler series offers that required smart styling with Horween Leather and rugged performance features. One of America’s first and finest leathers, the Horween Chromexcel leather is vegetable-retanned and hand-glazed for superior quality and finish. Both Red Wing Shoe Company and Horween were established in 1905 and are still thriving today because of their impeccable quality standards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran