Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

30's~40's Work Boots

Griemersma

One of the Regulars
Why are all of the great Red Wings only available in Europe!?!

I too have been looking for some good quality work boots and stumbled upon the 1900 range from Red Wing. Those 1911's are exactly what I am looking for. Does anyone know of a source for them here in the States?

Another really great looking (though very expensive) possibility are the boots made by Sugar Cane, called "Lone Wolf"

http://www.sugarcane.jp/products/lonewolfboots-0006.html

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/fukuraku/431339/1790404/

Check out the "cat's paw" soles on those. But I think they convert to almost US$400 !!:eek:

Anybody worn any of those Red Wings who can review?

--G.R.

Speedster

Practically Family
I posted this message 2 October, 2006:

Speedster said:
Just received a pair of Red Wing 1908 Moctoe yesterday from Germany (www.volls.de). A little expensive at EUR 269,- but was too slow pushing the purchase button when i had the chance to get them from England at GBP 140,-. The size 8 dissapeared in front of me and now they only have size 12 left

1908-z1.jpg

Very nice boots indeed, but still have then Aldens on my must have list.

Speedster

The quality is very good, and they have started breaking in nicely. But since i only wear them occasionally i cannot tell you how they will wear over time.

Griemersma

One of the Regulars
I know, those look great. I have heard that Red Wing quality is very, very good, as well. Unfortunately, that website doesn't seem to exist anymore and I can't seem to find any other online retailers that carry that line of them.

I have found Chippewa's like the ones posted earlier though. Does anyone know if they can be polished at all, or do they always have that kind of "raw" leather look?

--G.R.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Griemersma said:
I know, those look great. I have heard that Red Wing quality is very, very good, as well.

Redwing quality varies across the product line.
I think the easiest way to tell is price. The expensive
boots last a long time. I have a pair that is well over
10 years old and has needed little more than polish and
heel resoling after some impressive punishment.

I bought a pair last year that lasted only 3 months
before *everything* went wrong. I brought them
down to the store and left them there.

Nick Charles

Practically Family
I have found Chippewa's like the ones posted earlier though. Does anyone know if they can be polished at all, or do they always have that kind of "raw" leather look?

I have the Chippewas posted and they come with a wax like coating. I polished them with cordovan wax polish and after a couple of coats they are nice.

kools

Practically Family
I also have the Chippewas...I polish them brown & they look real nice. The polish gives the color some depth.

Griemersma

One of the Regulars
Where did you find those!?!

They are sold out of that style everywhere I have looked. The largest size I have been able to find is 9.5. What I did find are these (which are probably what I'll end up getting):

http://www.atkenco.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=25290!CHIPP&csurl=/istar.asp?a=3&dept=FOOT&

...but I like the soles on yours better than the big lugs.

Now these are the soles I really want...:

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/smaclo/687809/781513/#793483

Anybody know if they still use "Cat's Paw" to resole anywhere?

I'd love to see some pic's of those polished-up Chippewas if you guys get the chance.

Les Gillis

One of the Regulars
Red Wing 1908 Moctoe

The Red Wing 1908 Moctoe boots that look like Aldens aren't sold in the US. I emailed Red Wing about them.

Les

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
I even went into a Redwing Store here in Houston with a printout of the 1908, he called some higher up and told me the same thing. If so many people ask, why don't they sell them. And why do they think Americans don't want them?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
J. M. Stovall said:
I even went into a Redwing Store here in Houston with a printout of the 1908, he called some higher up and told me the same thing. If so many people ask, why don't they sell them. And why do they think Americans don't want them?
I know how marketing groupthink works. They think this is a collector product for people in Japan and Europe who are into Americana as a novelty, and that their customer base here - real working folks, or those who fancy themselves as such - would not take to it, and might even be alienated from the brand as too "fashionable."

Also, America being their core market, they probably feel a need to push newer models and styles to American buyers, to keep the brand fresh and – just as importantly – to assure Red Wing needs marketing people, thereby strengthening their own gig.

Les Gillis

One of the Regulars
Red Wing/Chippewa

If you compare the offerings on the US website and the International website. They barely look like they have the same product lines. The US products are a little too modern, hip and trendy for me.

On another note: I have a pair of the Chippewa 6 inch cap toes, that were marketed by LL Bean (pictured earlier in this thread). Thery're great boots for the price. However I don't see them on the Sportsman's Guide or the LL Bean web pages anymore.

Blackgrass

One of the Regulars
I actually sent Redwing an email a few months ago about the European boots and how I think they would be a great seller here in the US. They basically said sorry and pointed me to a shop in Europe that was willing to ship them to the US.
I think I'll be ordering the White's when I get the spare change.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
No explanation eh?

I suppose another rationale is that they want to be good to their overseas dealers. If certain styles were available in the US, overseas people would probably order from here to get around all the EU/VAT rigamarole, and the overseas dealers would be up the crick.

But I also know marketing groupthink. :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112