Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

30's~40's Work Boots

CodeRed

One of the Regulars
^ great looking boots, my are just GT's are just starting to get broken in, so it is great to see what they will look like with more wear. Just ordered the suede Iron Rangers, back ordered for a couple of weeks. They look like they will age nicely too. 1000 Mile boot may be next. Enjoy

Feraud

Bartender
Received this pair of RedWings for Fathers Day.
1245547547.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Yes, the GeeTees are a nice boot.

And the more beat-up they get the better they seem to look (to my eye at least). Not sure if you could get away with them as a dress boot (?). I have worn them with a suit (See pic with original 40's suit), and *I think* they worked okay and were very comfy to walk around in for the day, but certainly not an overly formal boot.

EDINBURGHHAMSTERLEY004.jpg

Doublegun

Practically Family
Feraud said:
Is anyone else waiting for the Wolverine Heritage Collection due out this fall?
There are good looking boots to be had..

Called Wolverine this afternoon. They won"t be shipping the boots until October 20th and they will only be available through high-end retailers (Neiman's, Nordstron's, etc). From the photos they appear to be replica's of the vintage work shoe but much less substantial.

matrioshka

One of the Regulars
I must say, I like those Red Wing 9013's. The White's look a bit too fetishy for my taste, especially the double and triple stack soles. Couple that with the two tone leather, and it starts to look like something out of a Irving Klaw photo...

I'm in the market for something that doesn't say "military". I wear Corcoran field boots (the ones with the speed laces and Vibram soles) now, and they make me feel a little self-conscious at times.

M

Mossyrock

One of the Regulars
I keep looking at the Gentleman Traveler, wishing they had a leather sole, or the same composite sole as the Alden 405. I wonder if it would be worth the time and money to get a pair resoled? As much as I like the lug soles on my other Red Wings, they don't lend themselves well to wearing with khakis, and my wife is tired :rage: of me tracking in "stuff" from the farm...:eek:

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
Got a pair of the Red Wing GT.

First off buyers should know that this is a great boot, but it takes a certain investment of blood, sweat and tears to break them in. They really are old fashioned boots, not impostors that look vintage on the outside and offer modern construction and comfort on the inside. These are the real deal; warts and all. You're going to have to suffer a little, just like your forefathers, to break them in, but once you've paid your dues you will be rewarded with a unique piece of footwear that will last you a few decades if they are properly taken care of. But beware that if you primarily wear sneakers, you will be in for a real surprise.

I wear a size 11.5-12 (US) and ended up getting them in size 12. The next size down was 11 or 11.5 and too small and tight.

The leather is very soft, subtle and flexible. This surprised me, as I imagined the leather be thick and stiff.

The actual construction of the boot is quite elaborate and their overall quality is very high. There is a good reason why they aren't exactly cheap. Most of us haven't seen anything like it, unless you are of an older generation or accustomed to buying very expensive handmade dress shoes.

The sole is quite rigid. It does not flex when walking off road, thus protecting your feet from rocks and providing a solid platform to step on. They may have a steel shank, so be prepared to set off metal detectors.

Beware that initially they feel quite narrow at the mid point of the foot. They will grab your arch like it's no ones business. Part of the reason for this is that shoes are no longer constructed like this, so it's something your foot is not accustomed to feeling.

The front of the shoe has a generous amount of room and nothing rubbed against my toes.
The rear section grips your heel firmly and comfortably.

They are quite heavy. Take a 6 hour walk and you will notice them.
Running in them will take some getting used to.

These boots beg for padded inserts. Out of the box they contain zero dampening or padding material and you will feel the impact of every step in your joints. At first it feels a little like you are walking down the street with two planks of woods strapped to your feet. For me this raised a question mark about their viability during the first 10 days I owned them. After a few hours of walking on concrete streets I could literally feel my brain rattle around in it's brain case, with every step I took. Then I added a good pair of inserts designed to absorb impact, which transformed the shoe entirely. In an instant they became quite comfortable to wear.

It took me about a week of wear and kneading the leather by hand to break them in. The most offending area was at the center of the shoe. A seam rubbed directly against the inside of my arch causing blisters. I spent an hour rigorously kneading the area with my hands, which solved the problem. You may have to do the same with the top edge of the boot, as it may rub against the back of your calf.

Your feet will need to toughen up a little, if you are going to wear these. You will feel muscles in your soles that you didn't know existed, but they will strengthen quickly. A little callus will work in your favor. My pair don't rub, but these aren't a pair of Nike that are padded like a pillow...

I recommend a mid weight sock.

They do not breath very well and can get quite warm on a hot summer day, which may cause your feet to sweat and potentially blister. Again, as your feet toughen up this will be less of an issue.

Part of the secret to making these boots work is how you tie them. If you tie them too tightly you will cut off the circulation in your feet. Too lose and your heels will get blisters from rubbing up and down against the interior. Ultimately I ended up tying them semi-loose in the front, loose in the center, where they bend, and the last two loops rather tightly to prevent my heel from lifting off the sole and rubbing.

The Red Wing GT will be a unique experience for most of us, who were born in the 60's or later and have worn shoes of modern construction through out our life.

They are great boots, but they come with a price tag that isn't measured in monetary terms.

Their construction and design is 100% retro and the simple truth is that we have made serious advances in the design of shoes and materials used, since the 'good old days'. The GT do not offer the comfort of a sneaker or even modern walking or hiking boots, mainly because of the lack of impact absorbing padding and air circulation. A good insert will help even the odds. I do suspect that they will become more comfortable with wear, but their basic character is not going to change.

If you can live with that, buy a pair, break them in and reap the reward of experiencing and wearing something unique.

CodeRed

One of the Regulars
That is a great write up, but my GT's fit like a glove..no blisters nothing from the start. Just goes to show how they can fit people differently. I have a really high arch. Great boot.

Doug C

Practically Family
Yea my experience with the GT's have been a little different than Robert Conways (above)..though I agree that an insert would be a good idea - Mine have been way more comfortable than I expected, from day one. As a matter of fact I've always been able to wear them comfortably for a long time and never felt like I need to get out of them quick. Sometimes I plop myself on the couch after wearing them all day and forget I still have 'em on, then I think to myself (or my wife will say) "..hey you can take off your boots now." I generally take a 10.5 in shoes and I got these in a size 10 (because I read they run a little big, which they do) and mine fit like a glove, couldn't be happier. I have spent some time hand flexing them here and there, but not really because I thought they needed it so much as I wanted them to have a more broken in look and feel. BTW, Bakershoes.com has the best prices on them that I was ever able to find. I'm thinking about getting a black pair at some point.

Doug C

mike

Call Me a Cab
cookie said:
67351-wbs-1000mi-look-book-v7lores07.jpg

AAA_Wolverine.jpg

those linden's look miiiighty interesting! Although I wonder what that one square of leather is doing sticking down from the middle tongue. I hope they haven't tried to improve on a traditional look. I have been hoping to get something that looks/feels like the shoe version of a vintage work boot and this looks like it will hit the spot! Any idea how much these are going to run?

I like these Red Wings that are not sold anymore and might have only been sold to Japanese markets...
1.jpg

mike

Call Me a Cab
Clark Nova said:
I'll second that, Mike. You got a model number on those Red Wing Shoes?

rw-8100

sadly, I can't find out when they were made or any plans for them to go back into production in the foreseeable future :eusa_doh:

Doublegun

Practically Family
I bought a pair of Red Wing Iron Rangers earlier this summer and could not be happier. A little breaking in, for sure, but once you get to that point they are extremely comfortable. Now I am looking for a pair of boots that will be a little dressier for the fall and am torn between Red Wing GT's (or Beckams) or White's Travelers (http://www.bakershoe.com/whites-boots-catalog/whites-traveler.html). Specifically, I am looking for a boot that looks dressy enough to wear with cords or heavy wool pants and a sport coat and tie when the weather turns to snow and slush. Thoughts/suggestions?

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
DSC00037.jpg

Afb027.jpg

I have the Iron Rangers for about 5 months now.. Very comfortable shoes and the leather is really, really nice. It's oil-pull leather so scuffing could be an issue, allthough we're talking work-shoes here (I don't wear em to work lol ). Never had a blister, but fastening the boots needs a bit of practice as the tongue of the boot is rippling when fastening and when the boot is fastened this could give some extra pressure on the instep of the foot.. The leather, because of the oil-pulled nature, has deep, rich shades of brown which is difficult to see in the cellphone-pics.. I really love these shoes... the first impression when I saw them on display was: "Wow, these shoes look like they're from earlier times, authentic workman's boots" without really knowing what an authentic 30's-40's work-boot looks like..lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner