Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

30's~40's Work Boots

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I saw these today:
shoes_iaec1103985.jpg

Made by Converse. What do you guys think? They feel like a waxed canvas.

mattfink

Practically Family
flat-top said:
I saw these today:
shoes_iaec1103985.jpg

Made by Converse. What do you guys think? They feel like a waxed canvas.

Hmmm, not my style but they are interesting looking. Where do you think they are taking the inspiration from? Obviously some sort of military boot, but which?

blethook

One of the Regulars
Swedish Army Boots

Not exactly from the 40s, but rather from the 60s... I think they're meant to double as ski boots as well.

These are extremely heavy and probably will take forever to break in...

SwedishArmyBoots004.jpg

SwedishArmyBoots003.jpg

SwedishArmyBoots002.jpg

SwedishArmyBoots001.jpg

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Yes, I've seen that photo- not so many to see.

I was talking about "normal" '30s, '40s army boots, not ski/march boots/square toe. The more usual shaped toe style, with toe-cap and the pattern and construction is, well, totally different, really.
I like brown, pebbled army boots.
I also have some Swedish boots which are quite delicately shaped, more pointed toe, no toe-cap, black, more like a '20s/'30s dress boot.
Oh and a nice pair of pre-war Oxfords.

See here, for older Swedish Army boots:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=20295&highlight=swedish+boots

B
T

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
UPDATE: RW GT

2.5 months later.

I've been wearing the GT's a lot.

Month one:

The first week or two were not very pleasant, but once I got the inserts and my feet toughened up everything fell in place. The boots literally broke in from one day to another. Interestingly what seemed to help was a long walk in the rain. The last part to fall in line was the rear top, that would rub quite painfully, especially if you tied them all the way up. I worked that area over a few times with my hands, grit my teeth for a few more days and everything was fine.

Another turning point was the hard edge of the heel wearing off a little, so it was more round. This made stepping down less jarring. Now, it's a smooth roll.

The last 6 weeks or so:

Over the course of the last month and a half I've worn the GT's 6-7 days a week and walked for 5 - 9 hours straight every day, with a short break to grab something to eat in between. (Don't ask why, it's a long story)

I really couldn't be much happier with these boots. They are now extremely comfortable, do not rub anywhere and provide amazing support. When I get home in the evening my feet are neither sore nor tired, although I wish I could say the same about the rest of my body. The leather has softened to the point where I can even lace them tight from bottom to top for extra support when walking off road, without any discomfort.

It really does feel like you could quite literally walk 1000 miles in these and not break a sweat.

Again, a good insert has made a world's difference for me. Your milage may vary.

The only complaint I have is that they do not breath very well and in very hot weather your feet will start to sweat. But it's not a deal breaker. Just make sure you take the inserts out immediately, when you take the boots off. That way everything has a chance to dry out and be ready for the next day. It also avoids oder build up. On the other hand I do expect them to be quite comfortable in the winter.

If you want these boots to last you have to invest a little time to properly take care of them. Basically this means treating them with the respect they deserve. Treat them well and you will receive the same in return.

My dad had these boots (or very similar ones) when he was growing up. It was interesting to see his reaction, the first time he saw my pair. Back then, unless you were well off, they were a major purchase and expected to last a long time. They will only last if you take care of them, which means cleaning and treating the leather and giving them a good polish.

After 3 months of heavy use mine look far from shop new, but to keep the leather healthy and flexible (and avoid cracking) you have to clean and polish them on a regular basis. Since I am constantly wearing them I tend to do it once a week.

Anyhow, the GT's are one hell of a pair of boots. Probably the best I've ever owned. They aren't cheap, but you sure get what you paid for.

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
It'll be steep, I reckon. He seems to be influenced by White's and William Lennon, their stuff is definitely worth it's money. And you can still find some good vintage boots here in Holland for pennies. I really like the colours of his boots and the laces. I'll definitely steal some of his ideas.

lordcharles

New in Town
Julians Boots

My gosh Julian's boots ate great!

I tried emailling him today and the address on the website doesn't seem to work. Any one else had any luck?

mattfink

Practically Family
lordcharles said:
My gosh Julian's boots ate great!

I tried emailling him today and the address on the website doesn't seem to work. Any one else had any luck?

Just sent him a request for pricing and it seemed to go through. I'll keep you posted on a response.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24