Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

'30s World's Fair Menswear

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

The 1933-'34 Chicago World's Fair and the 1939-'40 New York World's Fair produced an avalanche of merchandise. I've never been a collector of the stuff -- until now. I couldn't resist these:

This is a collar bar from the '33 Chicago World's Fair. As you probably know, it clips onto a shirt collar's flaps, pulling them toward each other under the tie's knot. Anyway, check out the detail on this beauty. Made of chromed brass, it has the fair's logo on both ends, and actually says "Century of Progress - Chicago, 1933" on it. ("Century of Progress" was the fair's motto.) Cool!

shoos004_edited-1.jpg

shoos005_edited-1.jpg

shoos010.jpg

And here is a collar bar from the 1939 World's Fair. Also made of nickel-plated brass. Needs to be polished a bit. It has the fair's Trylon and Perisphere logo on both ends, and says "New York 1939 - World's Fair" on it. Sharp, huh?

shoos075.jpg

shoos076.jpg

Can't wait to wear them!

If you have any menswear (or womenswear) from the '33 or '39 World's Fairs, tell us about them. Or better yet, show them here!

CharlieH.

One Too Many
All I got from the World's Fair is a plethora of pictures pillaged and plundered from eBay and other spots the "web", including scans from home movies, high-resolution construction photos, most of the films from the Internet Archive, and many a colour slide scan. (One of the pics is good enough to make your own 1939 NYWF coaster!)
Would that do the job?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
:eusa_clap That's what I'm talking about!

Question of the year, Charlie: Why were there so many topless female performers at the '39 fair? (Indeed, why were there any at all, considering the fair's very public and international scope?) What does this say about Golden Era's "standards of decency"?

CharlieH.

One Too Many
Beats me, but from the looks of things, there were girlie shows in previous fairs and Treasure Island had Sally Rand... heck Sally Rand was everywhere! (I hear she was mysteriously pelted with stones at the San Diego expo of 1935). As for the decency standards... well, let's leave that to the more eloquent folks.

CharlieH.

One Too Many
Well, nowadays, why put that on a world's fair, when you can find it just about everywhere and for free?

Anyway, here are some trinkets saved from the internet wasteland:

coaster.jpg

The coaster (Funny, did photobucket resize this one?)

2c_1.jpg

Boy, do I love these graphics!

nyworldsfair4.jpg

Wish it were 16mm....

c1_1_b.jpg

And no 1930's fair would be complete without a midget village

posterprop.jpg

Not a real NYWF item, but still a keen piece - Prop poster from The Rocketeer (I think)

p15.jpg

Candid shot in front of the mighty E6

nywf39-1-3.jpg

Evocative, eh?

PERISPHEREcolor1940.jpg

Another colour shot of the ole T&P

MVC-143S.jpg

MVC-144S.jpg

The World's Fair in a nutshell!

CharlieH.

One Too Many
There's plenty more, but I don't think the machine will permit further uploads... however:

003wfx94.jpg

Stickers... or are they pins?

38847b_01.jpg

The Kodak bldg. A screenshot from one of the films

38846a_121.jpg

Outside of the Savoy Ballroom

38849c_10.jpg

Jane Withers signs autographs during the Fair's 1939 season closing (These pics you can find at the Internet Archive - just search for "Medicus Collection")

1940poster.jpg

Only thing missing from this poster is Doc Brown's DeLorean...

1103385750418_pamp.jpg

A brochure with a light 1950's feel

1939WorldsFair.jpg

Once again, the T&P.... and a statue

13579.jpg

The largest steam locomotive in the world... fair, that is.

CharlieH.

One Too Many
Sure wish it was happening now.
One last group... for now (the computer will crash any minute now):

untitled8.jpg

I believe they made toy versions of these buses

s02.jpg

A view of the... Futurama!

ticket.jpg

Didn't Mr. Burs give one of these to Homer for arriving early to the plant?

596slide3.jpg

Railroads on Parade. Supposedly the hit show at the Fair.

And finally, one from my personal collection that can easily support the claim "I was there!"

6.jpg

Tis I, in front of the France building.(Not my best angle, to be perfectly frank)

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
1939 Golden Gate International Exposition Tie Clip

On a related note: I've just won this from the auction house of Mr.Edward Bay
1939goldengateinternationalexp.jpg

I hope I didn't beat out any fellow lounge members. I'll buy you a drink in the club bar..:D

A few days ago I visited a local antique shop where I spotted this. The price was $25 and the owner wasn't going to go a penny lower...
I just got it for $10.50 ($12.50 with shipping). It's a rather neat looking item. I don't really know the market value. I feel like it was a bargain anyway. Now I just need some vintage 30s ties...

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
That one is very, very sharp. If I had a collar bar with the exposition's logo (and I don't), I would have to steal that tie bar from you!

I just won a tie bar (and a collar bar) from the '33 World's Fair. Here's the tie bar:

87_1_b.jpg

Now I need a '39 NYWF tie bar (to go with my other collar bar). It's at the bottom of the photo:

worldsfair1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24