Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

500 kilometers on foot... ¡with hat!

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Hi all,
I've been absent from the board for a long time, but now I think I have something relevant to relate. I recently walked from Salamanca to Santiago de Compostella (both in Spain), a total of about 500 kilometers which took me 22 days to do.
I'd long wondered ..which hat?.. and opted to take one which I thought was good enough to be seen in, but one I wouldn't miss if I lost it.
I opted for a Borsalino I bought new back in 1982 and hardly ever wore. I think it's wool felt: very soft. I recently had it fitted with a leather headband (in replacement of the original cloth one) and a new ribbon.
All in all, the hat survived surprisingly well, and mostly clean (except for a sweat stain in the ribbon). In fact, it now has the character it didn't have before (or is it all in my head?).
The weather was mostly hot; there was hardly any rain (during about 5 km of the walk only!), and even there I put the hat under my poncho when the rain was harder than a mere drizzle.

Upon departure from Salamanca:

CopyofCaminodeSantiago2009011-1.jpg

and upon arrival in Santiago:

CopyofCaminodeSantiago2009231-1.jpg

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sir, it is great to have you posting again! I hope there are lots of photos from in-between the two points that you will relate to us as time goes by!

feltfan

An enviable journey. I lived in Salamanca for most of a year
(a long time ago) and always wanted to head up North.
I'd love to do the more "standard" hike to Santiago de Compostela
across the top of Spain. I wonder if you cut through Portugal
or stayed in Spain?

If you write a more detailed description of the trip, let us know!

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Thanks guys. I'm in fact quite pleased the walk went as well as it did, goes to show half a lifetime of marathon training weren't for nought, after all.

Feltfan, I took the "Via de la Plata" and, before it catches up with the "Camino Francés", went the "Camino Sanabrés (or Mozarabe)" way, which remains in Spain (it enters Galicia via Ourense). I left from Salamanca because I consider that to be "my" town in Spain: it's where I did some two-week Castilian language stints and I know the town quite well. The "Camino Portugués" (which I didn't take) is said to be very interesting, but the (lodging) infrastructure is reported to be sketchy. In comparison to the "Camino Francés" (the northern track), there are far fewer people (in September) on the route I took. I don't like great crowds of people, especially when lodging is limited... You can find lots of information Googling any of the above "routes". I tried to write a blog http://pabloelflamenco.blogspot.com/ but it turned out very sketchy because of the limitations of public internet access at a time when one is supposed to be ... walking.
Disclaimer: the hat on the blog picture is not mine. It belongs to the Museum of Popular Art in Mexico City.

rrog

A-List Customer
Congrats on what appears to be a very nice adventure. I'll have to take some time to read your blod. Sounds interesting.

And the hat does indeed look good.

rrog

Erik

One of the Regulars
An enviable adventure, for certain. As for your perception that the hat's character increased, I have no doubt that is the case. Thanks for sharing.

jonbuilder

Erik said:
An enviable adventure, for certain. As for your perception that the hat's character increased, I have no doubt that is the case. Thanks for sharing.
I with the above. I wager you keep that hat for every as a reminder of a great adventure. If only hats could talk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner