Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

689 HH details needed

Oktagon

New in Town
Schott 689HH impressions.

Having been on the never ending quest for TPLJ (ThePerfect Leather Jacket) for quite some time now I own horsehide leather jackets from almost every top pf the line maker, such as Aero Leather, Lost Worlds, Eastma, Vanson and others. Recently I saw Schott model 689HH in the catalog and ended up ordering it. Keeping in mind tat the jacket costs about halve of my other jackets, and sssuming that "you get what you pay for" holds true, I expected to see some shortcuts in the quality of the materials and manufacturing. Boy was I wrong!
The jacket arrived on Friday, and after examining it very carefully, and even using magnifying glass to look at the seams I must say I could not find a single bad stich!
The quality of the horsehide is outstanding, and it is put together very very nicley. It is rare, when factory manufactured product can compare in quality to hand made garment, but Schott did. I was especially impressed with quality small details, such as side adjustment buckles, straps (which by the way are grommeted as opposed to some much more expensive jackets) as well as zippers (which are heavier duty then curent Talon product).
The chrome-tanned horsehide was a bit lighter and more flexible, then its vegitable tanned version. While the chrome tanned leather will not aquire desired "worn" look as quickly as vegetable tanned, it is more pliable and does not require as much of a break in. The jacket was prety comfortable to wear from the start.
Overall I am extremily pleased with this jacket and must congratulate Shott on the very fine quality of their product. These jackets are just as good, or better(!) then jackets costing twice as much, and beig made one at a time.

Jay

Practically Family
I checked it out. I really like it, especially after your words, but why does it only come in black?

Oktagon

New in Town
They don't make many brown jackets in any models. I think it has to do with market forces. Typical consumer buys black leather jackets.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Brown Schotts

True. I think Schott make a good jacket -especially for the price and their service is very friendly. I think the brown horsehide is great, too. I have a couple of early brown Schott bike jackets that I think are great. It make you wonder why more people don't buy them.

Alan

Faisalha9159

New in Town
Schott jackets are a little underrated. I recently ordered two from the internet. Apparently these are vintage 1970`s ones which makes them like 35 yrs old, but boy the leather on both of them is very thick....and the jackets as a whole are built to last.

All in all I am extremely happy with all of the Schott jackets I have owned and I would recommend them to anyone.

Jay

Practically Family
I just think that the black leather jacket is too reminiscent of the 80s. And I think that brown ages better over time. Maybe it's just me?

Oktagon

New in Town
I actuallt don't think it is. I own more brown/cordovan jackets then black ones, but I still think that good quality black leather ages just fune, with those great ash shades.

Jay

Practically Family
Perhaps it was just all the cheap jackets I've seen. Like the kind wear the black will fade to an almost-greenish hue. And black isn't my color, so I'm a little biased. I'll try a black jacket one day, though.

injunjack

One of the Regulars
Well

I think explanation why they are black is obvious.
Most Schott Jackets are motorcycle/biker jackets and bikers wear black. It's all about what market wants.

To me, any color of leather jacket is fine as long it BLACK.

Jack

Ps. I'll have to say, even one of the listers had very bad experience, Schott made Legendary jackets do look good, and the one I have is really nice.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
I've always found the Schott jackets to be a geat, underrated classic.
Ebay is a great place to pick up bargains on them- you can even find brown ones!;)

dormicica

New in Town
details on the 689 HH , please!

Dear Oktagon and all the experts,

I am new here, and need your help and expertise. I am planning to buy a Schott 689 Horsehide jacket but have several questions beforehand:
It is really difficult to decide and make the purchase from overseas. As I see from your post, Oktagon, the quality is outstanding, but can it happen that I somehow receive a factory second?
I used to have a Schott 141 in size 40 and it was fine. Schott advise to step up a size with horsehide. Is it really necessary? (I am rather short but broad shouldered. All my measures would deem me to be a 38, just my chest is 40 and shoulder width is 20, that is why I needed to go for size 40.)
Schott is unable to provide more detailed pics of the jacket. The 141 jacket I used to own was rather poorly finished at the bottom: the edge of the outer shell was plainly folded back and stitched onto the inside layer as if someone had forgot about finely finishing the area where the liner and the shell are attached to each other.
Is the 689 different in these terms?
I found the jacket at LEGENDARYUSA. Have you ever come across this on-line dealer? How are they? (They are not very good at answering emails, that's for sure...) Any other suggestions?

I would enormously appreciate any useful hints.
Best regards from Hungary!!!!!!!!

dormicica

New in Town
Hi all the experts,
I am a newbie here with a lot of questions. I am to buy my first Horsehide jacket, mostly as a casual wear (I ride my bike in a proper HD bikers' jacket). I wonder which you more recommend: Schott 689 HH or Vanson Enfield HH ? Price is an issue, of course, but only secondary. Quality is first. Both jackets seem to be a once-in-a-lifetime purchase, hence the big dilemma.
Any useful hints are much appreciated!!!

dormicica

New in Town
Dear Oktagon and all the experts,

I am new here, and need your help and expertise. I am planning to buy a Schott 689 Horsehide jacket but have several questions beforehand:
It is really difficult to decide and make the purchase from overseas. As I see from your post, Oktagon, the quality is outstanding, but can it happen that I somehow receive a factory second?
I used to have a Schott 141 in size 40 and it was fine. Schott advise to step up a size with horsehide. Is it really necessary? (I am rather short but broad shouldered. All my measures would deem me to be a 38, just my chest is 40 and shoulder width is 20, that is why I needed to go for size 40.)
Schott is unable to provide more detailed pics of the jacket. The 141 jacket I used to own was rather poorly finished at the bottom: the edge of the outer shell was plainly folded back and stitched onto the inside layer as if someone had forgot about finely finishing the area where the liner and the shell are attached to each other.
Is the 689 different in these terms?
I found the jacket at LEGENDARYUSA. Have you ever come across this on-line dealer? How are they? (They are not very good at answering emails, that's for sure...) Any other suggestions?

I would enormously appreciate any useful hints.
Best regards from Hungary!!!!!!!!

injunjack

One of the Regulars
Dormicica

Send your measurement to Schott. Gail will talk to you about sizing.(shoulders, chest, back, arm, and waist)
Also for Legendary products.

If you are considering a Legendary jacket, try Biker's Den. They answer a bit better to e-mails than Legendary, but are cheaper. That's where I got mine.

I'm also quite short, 5f10", 171cm, and I have a bit over 42" chest. I ordered size 44. Possibly could have been OK with 42, but didn't want it to be too snug fit. With 44 I have to lace the sides totally close.
Take a size up, sell it if it's not Ok, and buy another.

pics here: http://public.fotki.com/injunjack/black-horse/

Jack
Finland

dormicica

New in Town
Hi Jack,
thanks for the info. I talked to Gail when I bought the 141 jacket, he recommended I should go for size 40 in cowhide. My concern is if I really should go one MORE size up with HORSEHIDE as Schott recommends.

As for Legendaryusa, it is not about their products – I found Schott's 689 HH on their website and wondered if I should purchase it from them, as opposed to buying it directly from Schott (the former seems to be less expensive). I am just afraid I may receive a factory second (and they really scarcely reply my mails).
All the best,
Tamas

dormicica

New in Town
Question for Octagon

Hi everyone,
sorry I need to address my question to Octagon this way (me not counting he is the only one owning a Schott 689 HH in this list as far as I know), but for some reason I am not allowed to launch personal messages here.

So: I have received my 689 HH, it is just as great as Octagon has already described the style, but I am in doubt.
I normally wear size 40 in Schott cowhide but chose size 42 in this case as advised by Gail and Schott"s homepage.
I feel the jacket a bit loose on me although it is said to be a snug fit. As I live overseas it would be really a pain if I send it back, ask for a size smaller, then probably realize it is too small.

Octagon, please help me with describing the fit in your case. Is the jacket really that snugly fit? Or should it be? I find it surprisingly light compared to it's material, also rather loose at the chest. How about at the shoulders? Very tight fit?
Thanks in advance,
Tamas

Oktagon

New in Town
Well, I also normally wear size 40 for most jackers (Aero et al), and I did order 42Reg from Schott. Mine fits perfectly well, even a bit snug around my newly grown gut. I think 40Reg will be snug if you wear "modern 40".

dormicica

New in Town
I used to wear Schott 141 model size 40 and it was O.K. I am 5 foot 8, 32 waist, 40 chest, 20 shoulder-to-shoulder, 145/150 lbs.
I really do not want to risk by sending size 42 back overseas and ask for size 40 and eventually realize it is too snug. I asked Legendary' Customer Service to measure model 689 HH in size 40 for me - what I got from them has nothing to do with Schott's official spec list data for 689 HH. It is really a pain... especially because I love this jacket.
Any hints?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael