Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

76 Sqn, RAF: Reunion at former bomber station (pics)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

At the weekend, I was kindly invited to attend the 76 sqn reunion in the former officer's mess at RAF MIDDLETON-ST-GEORGE, where the squadron was working out of during part of the war. Most of these gents are now well into their 80's and even from the dinner last year, a few have flown to the old airfield in the sky.
And that's going to be the story sadly as the years roll on.
The airfield is now Teesside Airport, and the Officer's Mess is a hotel. Sadly with a bar where rap music and videos were being played. I'm going to request that next year, for just one day only, they play movies from the 30s and 40s, as it just didn't help set the scene having Puff Daddy doing his stuff on a plasma screen.
I brought down a flight bag full of old WW2 RAF goodes such as Irvin jacket, 1936 boots, goggles, helmet, silk escape map for Europe, flight gloves..etc. And it encouraged some great stories and interest.
Reg, who is my sqn contact and flew with my Uncle Joe (he was in the Halifax behind Uncle Joes' during an bright early evening bombing run out of Egypt when it was attacked by 109's and shot down over Crete. Reg saw the two parachutes deployed). I had a 'wee' suprise present for him made up.
I had his old RAF dog tags recreated for him, and he was well chuffed!!!
I couldn't stay more than a few hours, as I had another engagement to make.

Doesn't life work like this!! No invites, then they all come at once, like waiting for a London Bus!! I had a 100th Birthday Party to attend. (That's another thread for another day on THE STEAMER!).

Oh, an interesting aside! All the three couples in the pic, met and married during WWII!!!
squadronreunion001.jpg

squadronreunion005.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks Tony.

I always feel very priviledged and honoured to be invited to attend these things. Part of me does feel as though I am gate-crashing, in that I don't have the common bond that these men have (in bucket loads). But as the 'few' become 'fewer,' they do welcome relations to keep the seats warm and carry the torch of the squadron.

Just something that made me laugh actually, was, the BIG fellow in the centre of the photo shook my hand as I was heading off. I have a fairly strong hand grip when I shake hands, but this guy, Jim, well into his 80's, had a very solid grip and it was as much for me to meet the force with balanced force in case he crushed my hand!! Some of these guys are still very fit for their age.

But when you mix with them, and then look around the hotel at some of the really scruffy young people milling about, it makes you realise what a different time and era they are from. And they must wonder sometimes, what on earth has happened with the world in just 50 years?

mikepara

Practically Family
Shame you had to shoot off.

..Looks like a nice place to visit. I love memorials especially ones with statues.

Pity the nominal Roll has been so reduced over the years. Afraid its the same at Airborne Forces Weekend. Couldn't move for Arnhem / Normandy vets once... sigh.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic