Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-2 Flight Jacket Work

Hopalong

One of the Regulars
I need to find someone who does the best work to have them correctly sew a leather name tag and squadron patch on my new reproduction A-2 flight jacket.

I think any good tailor with leather experience can handle it. Just do your research on where it's supposed to be attached and let them do the work. I'll bet every town has people that can do that in 5 minutes.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A competent tailor or shoe repairer could do the work for you. Alternatively is a really quite easy to do and perhaps you could do it yourself.

Hopalong

One of the Regulars
Thanks for your replies. My intent was to have the patch and tag sewn on professionally in the correct spots on the A-2 like an Eastman or Goodwear would because of the price A-2's cost today and I want to be happy with the work done on the jacket.
Some A-2 purists are even fanatical about the color of thread to use to sew on a tag or patch.

Mike

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for your replies. My intent was to have the patch and tag sewn on professionally in the correct spots on the A-2 like an Eastman or Goodwear would because of the price A-2's cost today and I want to be happy with the work done on the jacket.
Some A-2 purists are even fanatical about the color of thread to use to sew on a tag or patch.

Mike
As Andrew has said you can do this yourself but for serious leather work you need a sewing machine with a walking foot, this pushes the multi thicknesses of the leather from the top and bottom in one movement. It is the type of machine used to make the jacket., and best suited for the name tag. I have tried to sew leather using the ordinary sewing machine but it can bunch up the leather as you need to push the top layer through the machine. Remember you have leather patch, jacket thickness and lining.
There is also a recommended stitch per inch, one of the other enthusiasts will be able to give you better details but I think it is 10 stitches per inch. My personal wartime A2 has many more stitches per inch and this can lead to tearing like a postage stamp if placed to closely, but that would probably only come with age.
As all people have different body measurements I would place the patches were they look best, squadron patch on left breast, name tag just above, group patch(if required) on right chest. There are precise measurements for this, again other members are more knowledgeable on this than me.
As for correct thread, many patches were sewn on by airbase machinists, girlfriends, NAFFI women etc so I doubt any original is identical though the machine may give you a better finish. Use cotton though, as nylon thread may cut the leather.
Johnny T

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
Mike
I respect the guys that do the research to find out this info, but as a military aviator, I have to say that you use whatever works at the time you want something done to the jacket. The leather nametag I have sewn on my leather flight jacket was ordered from a local place in Pensacola, FL and it was sewn on by a leather repair shop in Norfolk. I never specified thread, just simply the general area of where it should be sewn on. Does that mean in 50 years someone is going to say “that’s not authentic, they used the wrong type of thread and sewed it 1/16th of an inch lower than it should be.” I say pish posh to all of that “authentic” talk. Take it to a local place that sews leather and have them do it.

archbury918

One of the Regulars
Both nametags and especially squadron insignia didn't fall under Army regs as for placement. So their placement was as said, "what looked good".
Rule of thumb for nametag is 1.5 inches from windflap seam. Height above pocket is up to you.
Most squadron patches were 5 inches round, so if doing both, just use your judgement.
I've had them put on by either a zipper repair shop or cobbler. As stated, use cotton thread.
M

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic