Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-2 horsehide

aeroga

New in Town
Hi guys, greetings from a newcomer to this forum. I currently came into the world of military jackets and couldn't stop thinking about getting my first A2 since then. I have read a number of threads seeking for advice in A2 repro purchase decisions and come to a shortlist of aero and stewart. But as my old man always says - when in doubt consult the experienced. I hope to get some suggestions here.

I have my eyes on aero's "Anniversary" 42-15142-P Type A-2 Seal jacket where its horsehide is very delicate and soft as a result of the tanning process. I have heard that aero is always a good buy in view of their quality, authenticity to the originals and price.

On the other there is stewart A-2 in washed goat skin with moleskin cotton lining. The benefits of this Italian brand is that the fit is much slim and "fashionable" due to the italian tailoring. It definitely deviates from the original A-2 model fit but it may be a good choice for a beginner like me to take it "one step at a time".

The price is the same ~EUR650 and I am looking forward to buying my A-2 in 2 weeks. Any comment is welcome and of course if you would recommend other brand that is within my budget of EUR1000 that is also great too.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome to the forum. I would recommend either Good Wear or Eastman if you want a really authentic A2. You can get excellent bargains on Ebay and in the Classified section here.

aeroga

New in Town
Andrew, thanks for your tip. I had a look at the eastman website and learnt that werber is a fine jacket too. But I guess I will then enter the eternal battle of eastman vs aero. And it is a tough decision to make.

Edward

Bartender
If you're looking at Eastman v Aero.... both are great jackets, and, IMO as jackets equally high quality. As historical replicas Eastman have an edge, but they are also markedly more expensive, so it's really up to you what compromises you want to make vs the price. Examples of both appear on eBay where, with care, you can pick up as used one at a significant saving.

Goodwear are really the top of the tree in terms of accuracy, though significantly more expensive again in these days of the strong dollar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred