Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-2 Review, Leather Coats Etc.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Just got this yesterday, my Leather Coats Etc. A-2 size 40R. At $275, this jacket is a bargain. At the sale price of $223 with free shipping, this was an absolute steal!!! And this is made right here in the USA!

Comparing side by side with my G&B A-2 size 42R, this jacket is of nearly the same quality. If G&B rates a 10, I'd give the Leather Coats A-2 a solid 9. This jacket (40R) is nearly the same size as the G&B 42R. It is extremely comfortable. Perhaps a 38 would have fit just fine...considering an exchange, but not sure.

The zipper, YKK, is flawless and silky smooth in operation. The side entry front pockets are well concealed so they do not detract from the jacket, actually nicer than the pockets on my G&B. The overall weight of the two jackets is the same.

The below pics have the G&B on the left and the Leather Coats A-2 on the right. These two coats are nearly identical overall. The reviewed A-2, at 50% the cost of a G&B, is 95% the same quality. One heck of a bargain!!! I would suggest ordering 2 sizes smaller as this is cut very similar to the G&B jackets.

P1010285.jpg P1010286.jpg P1010287.jpg P1010288.jpg P1010290.jpg P1010291.jpg P1010292.jpg image0-3.jpg

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Fit photos required. I like the cheap options but it's not hard to make an A2. What is hard is to make a pattern that doesn't look like you're wearing a sack of doo-doos. Getting a smaller size may be helpful. The only other point I'd make is that quality can really only be measured by time. In five years, the zip may not work, the lining may shred, and the knits disintegrate. Then again, it may hold up as well as a more costly and coveted A2.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Fit photos required. I like the cheap options but it's not hard to make an A2. What is hard is to make a pattern that doesn't look like you're wearing a sack of doo-doos. Getting a smaller size may be helpful. The only other point I'd make is that quality can really only be measured by time. In five years, the zip may not work, the lining may shred, and the knits disintegrate. Then again, it may hold up as well as a more costly and coveted A2.

As for fit, it's pretty much like the G&B 42R. I may swap it for a 38. The quality is there, big time. The only thing I like better about my G&B is the knits which is a blend. These knits on this jacket are on par with Schott, Cockpit USA, etc.

Note I mentioned the silky smoothness of the YKK zipper, better than the G&B zipper, also YKK.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For a 40R jacket the measurements are certainly generous. This jacket has the shoulder and armpit measurements of an original Wartime size 46 and the front measurement of a size 48/50.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
For a 40R jacket the measurements are certainly generous. This jacket has the shoulder and armpit measurements of an original Wartime size 46 and the front measurement of a size 48/50.

Yes, in size the equal of my 42R G&B...hence the decision to exchange it for a 38. Overall, a very nice jacket. And a bargain at $223. A great "beater" jacket if nothing else. I'll patch this one up!

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Thanks for the info Andrew. I think this is the problem for most cheap A2 repro, they are not fit correctly.

What is the definition of cheap? This jacket has the same measurements as my G&B jacket, although it is supposed to be a size smaller. I don't consider G&B products cheap by any means. I understand that most of the people who frequent this forum are of unlimited means when it comes to budgeting for A2's and the like, and this post was not targeted to that audience. Rather, the handful of folks who might not spend $500 or more on a jacket, but who can afford $230 or so.

And I'll re-emphasize this jacket is right in the same category of quality as G&B, Schott, Cockpit USA, etc. Gibson & Barnes is my measuring stick, and all others are compared to their jackets.

For those of you who do not wince at dropping $$$ on a coat, bless you! For you are truly fortunate in life.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family

Seems a bit odd...a size 46? I can wear a size M or L without problem. Or, a size 40R, or size 42R equally. The standards for measuring certainly must have changed over the years based on what you are saying. This 40R fits OK, but in search of a more trim fit, I'll exchange it for a 38. That should be spot on!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
As for fit, it's pretty much like the G&B 42R. I may swap it for a 38. The quality is there, big time. The only thing I like better about my G&B is the knits which is a blend. These knits on this jacket are on par with Schott, Cockpit USA, etc.

Note I mentioned the silky smoothness of the YKK zipper, better than the G&B zipper, also YKK.

As I wrote, check in in a few years and then we'll know.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
As I wrote, check in in a few years and then we'll know.

I am extremely easy on my clothing items. I still proudly wear a pair of casual dress shoes purchased in 1987. They look like they just came off the store shelf. This jacket will be here longer than I am...along with my Schott, G&B, Alpha, etc.

Edward

Bartender
Seems a bit odd...a size 46?

Yes, wartime average on A2s was chest 2" bigger than stated size - same as for dress jackets (and, indeed, typically civilian suits) of the period. Modern sizings (as used by the likes of Aero and Eastman) allow for a little more tolerance. The overally shape is the same, but sizing is one down - i.e. a wartime patter that would have been a 46 A2 in 1942 will list as a 44 nowadays. Bearing in mind they were designed to be worn over only a shirt and tie, this is unsprising. The jackets you're looking at here are, of course, modern reinterpretations which may well have been designed to fit over a sweater and such. (Note also the much more generous fit of the modern military A2, which I'm sure had an influence.) That's going to make the measurements given seem very big to folks used to the cut of the original A2.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I think it's great that there are things like this in the lower price range, it can get buyers interested in the jackets and maybe that buyer of a cheaper garment may opt to save up for something a little more authentic or better quality. If you then decide the old jacket scene is not really for you, you have not forked out an arm and leg for something you are not too fussy about.

Edward

Bartender
I think it's great that there are things like this in the lower price range, it can get buyers interested in the jackets and maybe that buyer of a cheaper garment may opt to save up for something a little more authentic or better quality. If you then decide the old jacket scene is not really for you, you have not forked out an arm and leg for something you are not too fussy about.

Every hobby certainly benefits from an entry level option. Also great for kids who have yet to stop growing.... Much as I'd love to buy my nephew a kid-size Aero, the £250 odds that that costs really isn't viable for me - especially when he'll outgrow it in a year at most. (The pricing is fair enough - apart from a small difference in the quantity of material necesary, I'm sure that they're no cheaper to make than an adult-size A2 - just more than I could justify in this context).

In this regard, the WPG A2 which has received a lot of buzz recently is rather significant, in that it provides more of a wartime look than the modern spin on the A2.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
The other thing besides being a far better than average "entry level" A-2, and made in the USA, is that LCE has a very generous 30 day return policy. You really can't go wrong. Don't like it? Send it back! I would order two jackets...one being a size smaller and one being two sizes smaller.

You will be surprised at the level of quality for an "entry level" jacket. The intent is to provide an avenue for those who may be interested in A-2's, but who are not ready to take the plunge into a $500, $700, or more expensive jacket. There are many people who will consider even $250 a big price for such an item.

An analogy would be the Hyundai auto that I rented last Monday. It drove and rode as nice as the Mercedes Benz E300 that I owned, at a price that is far more affordable to the masses. This LCE A-2 is much the same in that overall it is a good jacket, just need to order a size or two smaller. This jacket gives G&B (my favorite) a bit of competition.

thor

Call Me a Cab
Just checked their website; they list 2 different A-2 jackets, number 6020 and 6014, with the exact same description and the same price. I wonder what the difference is?
Tempted to order one as a daily "beater".
TXFlyGuy, do you know which specific A-2 you ordered, the 6014 or the 6020?

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Just checked their website; they list 2 different A-2 jackets, number 6020 and 6014, with the exact same description and the same price. I wonder what the difference is?
Tempted to order one as a daily "beater".
TXFlyGuy, do you know which specific A-2 you ordered, the 6014 or the 6020?

Yup...it's the S6020RMC. They do have two jackets in the A-2. Not sure what the difference is...I asked them about it, even they did not really know.

At least one size smaller than your normal size would be a good idea, perhaps even two sizes smaller. I'm a 40R, but can wear a 42R. This jacket is actually larger than my 42R, so it will be exchanged for a size 38R, which in a normal world would not fit me at all.

However, if you like to layer your clothing, wearing sweaters and the like under your jacket, one size smaller should be just fine.

Don't let the low price scare you away! It is a far better jacket than the price would have you think! Perhaps one of the best values going in an A-2.

Last edited:

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Update: Decided to keep the size 40R. My wife says it looks just fine, and I can wear a sweater with it if needed. These fotos will give you an idea of the fit.

Attachments

• P1010294.jpg
    P1010294.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 239
  • P1010296.jpg
    P1010296.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 225
  • P1010297.jpg
    P1010297.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 222
  • P1010298.jpg
    P1010298.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 236
  • P1010294-001.jpg
    P1010294-001.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 233
  • P1010296-001.jpg
    P1010296-001.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 239
  • P1010298-001.jpg
    P1010298-001.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:

IXL

One Too Many
TXFlyGuy, you just cost me $223.99! I ordered the size 38 for my size 40/42 frame, so I'll find out just how large these things run, in a mere 7-10 days.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
TXFlyGuy, you just cost me $223.99! I ordered the size 38 for my size 40/42 frame, so I'll find out just how large these things run, in a mere 7-10 days.

The fotos tell the story. I'm a borderline M / L size wise (5' 11", 174 lbs), a 40 or 42 jacket fits me just fine. Of course, it all depends on the cut of the garment. I have tried on size M jackets that fit spot on, and others that were on the small side. And some L size jackets are way too generous, while others are just right. You can see that the 40R pictured fits OK, but still leaves some room for a sweater or other layered clothing.

For those who are familiar with the G&B product line, this is an identical fit to my G&B 42R A-2.

Last edited:

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
IMO this jacket is too large for TXFlyGuy. The sleeves tunnel quite significantly, the back seems too wide falling over the waistband. A size 38 would be a better fit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24